[ATV] Heavily distorted sound when playback DTS HD audio

daedalus

15 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

When I use MX player

All those other players are just wrappers for ffmpeg, I believe but I don't know exactly how they are processing the audio.

• Thanks 1

FrostByte
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

All those other players are just wrappers for ffmpeg, I believe but I don't know exactly how they are processing the audio.

Thanks.  I'll try again when 2.17.0/2.17.1 is eventually implemented.  There's something in there about key-frame accurate seeking, but not holding my breath

• Like 1

rbjtech

This also doesn't really explain why I can play/ff/rw the same identical file without issues - I'm using the same Shield and Exo version as you - the only difference I believe is SE8 vs SE9 on the Shield ?.

FrostByte
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

This also doesn't really explain why I can play/ff/rw the same identical file without issues - I'm using the same Shield and Exo version as you - the only difference I believe is SE8 vs SE9 on the Shield ?.

That's the only difference I can think of.  If it's SE9 then it could be Google implementation of DTS decoder, or something.  Right now there are several threads of people with Shields having issues with DTS-HD though each is a little different.  Three of them in this thread alone 

55 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

If it's SE9 then it could be Google implementation of DTS decoder

I think it is more likely related to changes in the transport layer somewhere and that is just manifesting as a problem in that decoder (due to data not coming in as fast or something).

• Like 1

daedalus
On 5/2/2022 at 2:35 PM, FrostByte said:

@daedaluswhat happens if you disable DTS-HD in the Shield settings (or ATV settings probably will do the same).  If I do that then my issue goes away, and I have no more stuttering.  I assume it's using the DTS core at the time and everything says it's direct playing with no transcode logs.  Will your TCL still trigger DTS when using the core?

The TV doesn't have a setting to disable DTSHD, yes also a dts triggers the dts notification on the internal player

On 5/2/2022 at 2:52 PM, FrostByte said:

@daedalushave you tried using MX player as an external player with ATV?  I can play DTS-HD doing that also.

i tried VLC and MX Player, no stutters / distortions there, but also no DTS notification, so i assume decoding happens inside these apps

in my testing i also just noticed that VC1 files trigger transcoding on my TV (cause: the video codec is not supported) while they just "direct play" when using the internal tv player (as external player in emby)

Edited by daedalus

On 5/4/2022 at 5:16 AM, daedalus said:

The TV doesn't have a setting to disable DTSHD, yes also a dts triggers the dts notification on the internal player

i tried VLC and MX Player, no stutters / distortions there, but also no DTS notification, so i assume decoding happens inside these apps

in my testing i also just noticed that VC1 files trigger transcoding on my TV (cause: the video codec is not supported) while they just "direct play" when using the internal tv player (as external player in emby)

Have you tried that file with out standard android app? That's a little ahead of the TV app right now and should play the vc1 content directly without transcoding.

I wonder if their users reported the same thing to them once upon a time and they came to the conclusion that you shouldn't try to send this device dts-hd because it doesn't handle it very well.

FrostByte
4 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

So I guess this is more or less the same as this -

It looks like my problem.  I've merged my thread with yours.

• Thanks 1

daedalus
On 5/7/2022 at 6:39 AM, Luke said:

Have you tried that file with out standard android app? That's a little ahead of the TV app right now and should play the vc1 content directly without transcoding.

no didnt come to mind cause it was all the same and worse the last time u told me to try

On 4/4/2022 at 4:39 PM, daedalus said:

exactly the same behavior on dts / dts hd files

and additionally precise navigation with the tv remote is impossible, arrow keys get registered multiple times (randomly 3 or 4 times)

some HDR/DV files start its playback "behind" the UI with no notification from the tv that these formats are played

atmos audio gets correctly handled over to the TV decoder and shows the notification

daedalus
On 5/7/2022 at 6:40 AM, Luke said:

I wonder if their users reported the same thing to them once upon a time and they came to the conclusion that you shouldn't try to send this device dts-hd because it doesn't handle it very well.

it handles it perfectly with the internal player

5 hours ago, daedalus said:

it handles it perfectly with the internal player

What does? Those other apps or our standard Android app?

daedalus
4 hours ago, Luke said:

What does? Those other apps or our standard Android app?

What? the media player of the tv

so "this device handles dts(-hd) pretty well"

just not with ur app

35 minutes ago, daedalus said:

What? the media player of the tv

so "this device handles dts(-hd) pretty well"

just not with ur app

What about the latest version of our standard android app?

daedalus
On 5/9/2022 at 1:13 AM, Luke said:

What about the latest version of our standard android app?

every issue is still present, just like 4 weeks ago

VC1 files "direct play" but show just a black screen, when i try to skip, i see stuttering video that freezes after some frames

this was the last time i will test this non optimized app

Edited by daedalus

On 5/10/2022 at 10:49 AM, daedalus said:

every issue is still present, just like 4 weeks ago

VC1 files "direct play" but show just a black screen, when i try to skip, i see stuttering video that freezes after some frames

this was the last time i will test this non optimized app

Did you have a chance to try? How did it go?

daedalus
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you have a chance to try? How did it go?

what you quoted is how my try on that day "went"

• 3 weeks later...
daedalus

ok so your solution to this is to just disable it and force your subpar downmixing upon us

.73g is now "software decoding" everything

Edited by daedalus

2 hours ago, daedalus said:

ok so your solution to this is to just disable it and force your subpar downmixing upon us

.73g is now "software decoding" everything

No.  That would depend on settings in the app and the capabilities the device is reporting.  We'd have to look at an app log from an example to know.

daedalus

2.0.72 (20 May)

• Start upgrade of Exo
  • Revert allowing direct audio on stereo systems
  • Use smaller Exo buffer size

Right, there is no point in bitstreaming a complex codec to a system that only accepts 2 channel input.

daedalus

except you want the better native decoding / downmixing and not your implementation

there is (still, although useless now) the setting to disable it, if one wants to use your sledgehammer approach

for everyone else it's again paternalism and a backstep

Audiomixer

Curious, have you tried the may ‘22 ebata 9.1.0? Has solved some issues for me.

daedalus
21 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Curious, have you tried the may ‘22 ebata 9.1.0? Has solved some issues for me.

i dont have a shield