[ATV] Heavily distorted sound when playback DTS HD audio

daedalus

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, daedalus said:

i dont have a shield

That was my fault.  Sorry.

17 hours ago, daedalus said:

except you want the better native decoding / downmixing and not your implementation

Except the decoding we're using is not "ours" and is pretty much industry standard.

However, if the system reports it can only accept a 2-channel input the we should not be sending a multi-channel input to it.  This is why it is distorted I would imagine.

daedalus
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Except the decoding we're using is not "ours" and is pretty much industry standard.

However, if the system reports it can only accept a 2-channel input the we should not be sending a multi-channel input to it.  This is why it is distorted I would imagine.

unbelievable rude one can be, if that's your answer, you have not read a single line i wrote, nor have attempt to address the problem

pretty sure what u do is not "standard" cause other apps behave differently

its pure barshness

Edited by daedalus

• 3 weeks later...
daedalus

multiple inputs for navigation is fixed, everything else is still present

i had some little hopes, but this took the same turnout to the doomed road to tragedy like emby theater

Edited by daedalus

• 1 month later...
daedalus

ok, 6 weeks later, new version and no sign to adress this nor to get the option back to choose how the tv should handle it

so there's nothing left than staying on the last working version, just like the last years on Emby Theater

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 5:16 AM, daedalus said:

i tried VLC and MX Player, no stutters / distortions there, but also no DTS notification, so i assume decoding happens inside these apps

So if we did the same thing, that would be acceptable, right?

daedalus

would be better to really fix it and pass all the supported audio to the tv and let handle it

software decoding will only be an option if its on par with the inbuilt solution and/or we can select the formats it will be applied

cause, as said six month ago, the "Mix down to stereo" function is inferior to the tv inbuilt one, it has very low sound for multichannel streams and i have the feeling it is a bit muffeled

would be better to really fix it and pass all the supported audio to the tv and let handle it

Is there any software that does that?

daedalus

the internal player does

how should i know about any software else?

hope u are not asking me to test any player out there cause im not one of your paid employees

10 minutes ago, daedalus said:

the internal player does

how should i know about any software else?

hope u are not asking me to test any player out there cause im not one of your paid employees

We don't have your exact TV model on hand for testing. Can you please at least do this. Please sideload this dropbox version of our standard app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

Then reproduce the problem, and then provide an android app log by following these instructions: 

We obviously need some special behavior here, but first we need to determine what the conditions are in which to apply them. Thanks.

15 minutes ago, daedalus said:

with that apk video plays for 3 seconds and then hangs up

log attached

f12aca7f-fcbe-477a-8734-fe5e4fec1f7d.log 25.07 kB · 0 downloads

That might be a separate issue and dolby vision related. We can definitely look at that, but for the sake of testing the dts distortion, do you have any other files that exhibit this with either plain hevc or h264? 

Sorry to trouble you, but would you mind downloading and installing again one more time? Yesterday we made a fix for a different issue but it was related to DTS @ 48000hz. It's possible this will help with your issue. Thanks !

• 4 months later...
daedalus

works now (direct playback) in ATV (forced dts/hd paththrough checked) and sideload app (no settings available), but still no dts popup and only for streams up to 5.1

7.1 streams are still distorted

Edited by daedalus
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, daedalus said:

works now (direct playback) in ATV (forced dts/hd paththrough checked) and sideload app (no settings available), but still no dts popup and only for streams up to 5.1

7.1 streams are still distorted

Thanks for the update.

daedalus
On 1/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for the update.

i have to correct myself, just checked it to briefly, it does not depend on the channel count but the bitness

16bit files work

24 bit files are still distorted and have choppy playback

channel count does not matter and its the same in sideload and ATV version

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:14 AM, daedalus said:

i have to correct myself, just checked it to briefly, it does not depend on the channel count but the bitness

16bit files work

24 bit files are still distorted and have choppy playback

channel count does not matter and its the same in sideload and ATV version

You might have written it already but what device are you using?

I just tried DTS-HD 7.1, 24bit on my Shield Pro and it works just fine using Emby for Android (sideloaded app).

daedalus
14 hours ago, neik said:

You might have written it already but what device are you using?

I just tried DTS-HD 7.1, 24bit on my Shield Pro and it works just fine using Emby for Android (sideloaded app).

written in the opening post -> Device: TCL C725 Android 11