Cannot seem to download files to devices (all IOS)

ptlh2a

Teredactle

Does Emby for iOS v1.9.9 support downloads?

I am running Emby on iPad 4th Gen (iOS v10.3.3), and I don't have any option to download; if I hold down on a photo I get a download to prompt, and in the download to options I don't have this iPad listed, I have other mobile devices listed but not this iPad.

Is this normal behaviour? If so, what is the least iOS version and Emby app version that supports download media locally?

Thank you

On 3/13/2023 at 1:56 PM, Teredactle said:

Does Emby for iOS v1.9.9 support downloads?

I am running Emby on iPad 4th Gen (iOS v10.3.3), and I don't have any option to download; if I hold down on a photo I get a download to prompt, and in the download to options I don't have this iPad listed, I have other mobile devices listed but not this iPad.

Is this normal behaviour? If so, what is the least iOS version and Emby app version that supports download media locally?

Thank you

HI, the download feature is only for iOS 11+.

• 4 weeks later...
rcoodey

I have this download issue too. Currently on 2.2.7 iOS app on iOS 16.4.1. Server was 4.7.6.0 but just upgraded to 4.7.11.0. The issue still persists. It has been several hours, and the audio book is just hanging at 0% and sometimes changes to "Ready to Transfer". If I click into the book each file says "Ready to Transfer" as well.

Something I notice when opening the "Sync" edit screen, it always has "Quality" set to "Custom" and Bitrate to "0.32". If I try to change it to anything else such as "Original" or "8 Mbps" the "Save" button does not work. And if I try to hit save when it is at the current "0.32" it highlights the "Bitrate" box like it is invalid.

Also confirmed "Background App Refresh" is enabled.

The last audio book I downloaded to the phone worked fine (for use with CarPlay), but that was probably 6 months ago and I am not sure which iOS version at the time.

Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by rcoodey

rcoodey
41 minutes ago, rcoodey said:

Something I notice when opening the "Sync" edit screen, it always has "Quality" set to "Custom" and Bitrate to "0.32". If I try to change it to anything else such as "Original" or "8 Mbps" the "Save" button does not work. And if I try to hit save when it is at the current "0.32" it highlights the "Bitrate" box like it is invalid.

Partial workaround for the settings to save... Set to "Custom" and type any of the values from the pick list and save. Since choosing from the pick list did not allow the save button to work. After than you can go back and use the pick list to choose something.  Seems to be a bug with the default setting (at least that I had).

I switched to "Original" but the downloads still would not work. Choosing a Bitrate, it kicked off the conversion on the server, but still no transfer.

I see in the logs:

SharpCifs.Util.Transport.TransportException: I/O error occurred.
at SharpCifs.Util.Transport.Transport.Connect(Int64 timeout)
at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbTransport.Connect()
SharpCifs.Util.Transport.TransportException: I/O error occurred.
at SharpCifs.Util.Transport.Transport.Connect(Int64 timeout)
SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: This client does not support the negotiated dialect.
at SharpCifs.Smb.SmbTransport.DoConnect()

embyserver.txt

Edited by rcoodey

JPgruenewald
On 3/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, JPgruenewald said:

Are there any news regarding this issue?

Thanks for any help!

I'm also still having problems and waiting for a fix. I don't want to spam the thread, but just want to let you guys know that I haven't given up hope for a solution.

1 hour ago, JPgruenewald said:

I'm also still having problems and waiting for a fix. I don't want to spam the thread, but just want to let you guys know that I haven't given up hope for a solution.

Is your SMB share unavailable? That's what it looks like to me:

2023-04-16 14:10:39.626 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.11.0
	Command line: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata -ffdetect /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffdetect -ffmpeg /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/bin/ffprobe -defaultdirectory /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Public -updatepackage emby-server-qnap_{version}_x86_64.qpkg -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Linux version 5.10.60-qnap (root@U16BuildServer171) (x86_64-QNAP-linux-gnu-gcc (toolchain config: [gcc-4.9.2 binutils-2.25 glibc-2.21]) 4.9.2, GNU ld
	Framework: .NET 6.0.8
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 2
	Data path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/programdata
	Application path: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/system
	SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: SharpCifs.Smb.SmbException: Failed to connect: 0.0.0.0<00>/192.168.1.8

Instead of using smb directly with emby server, you might have a better experience mounting it in QNAP to a local path, and then adding that path into Emby Server instead:

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/article/mounting-a-remote-device-folder-into-the-file-station

rcoodey
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Is your SMB share unavailable? That's what it looks like to me

That was my first thought as well based off the error, but the SMB share is still available and was able to stream items to my other devices like Windows PC and Shield TV.

Instead of using smb directly with emby server, you might have a better experience mounting it in QNAP to a local path, and then adding that path into Emby Server instead:

Thanks for the idea, but I have 2 NASs with media shared. So, this would work for the one running Emby but not for the content on the other. Maybe NFS could work better? I also need to keep direct access to the media available as 4k content stutters if using http streams. And that is easier with SMB.

Thanks for the ideas so far!

rcoodey
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Is your SMB share unavailable? That's what it looks like to me:

Checked a few more things when I got home from work... my one NAS set the min version to SMB2, must have been after a recent update. Setting that back to SMB1 fixed my issue. Would be nice if Emby could move off SMB1 at some point :). Thanks for the input that triggered me to look again.

Newer smb versions will be supported in the upcoming 4.8 server release, however my advice about mounting still stands. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
WeWillSee

Was their a way to solve this download ssue on iphone? I have the same problem that it just says ready to transfer and nothing happens. I have enough space and running on IOS 16.5

• Agree 1

thymon
On 6/12/2023 at 10:31 AM, WeWillSee said:

Was their a way to solve this download ssue on iphone? I have the same problem that it just says ready to transfer and nothing happens. I have enough space and running on IOS 16.5

Same here.
Test iPhone / iPad /

Edited by thymon
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Emby iOS app running when this happens? You can move it to the background but if you swipe close it, then the background download process will not be able to run.

• 2 weeks later...
Zephyer

Posted this in a same topic as this...

Hi there, running on various iOS devices (running iOS 16.5.1) and Emby Prem. (Version 4.7.13.0) on docker with latest iOS app from Emby I've noticed something.

While I have the same "ready for transfer" I've seen some things I need to share;

1. Only 1 device can download/transfer connect at a time,
  2. Although the status "ready for transfer" is visible, I can see on my network (unify) that the iPad is downloading at a high speed (200mbps).
  3. After that download, the next device will start it's download as it was waiting.

With this, it looks like the app(s) on various mobile OS needs another status as it's waiting on the server when it's done uploading towards a device that was already busy and thus in queue. Sometimes, a download will stop (my monitoring sees this as well as no speeds are measured for data transfers) and will restart after I reboot the iOS app.

Another status for the mobile app is 'ready to transfer' is stuck, it needs to be changed to downloading as I am seeying this being done through my network...

Edited by Zephyer

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 5:01 PM, Zephyer said:

Hi there, running on various iOS devices (running iOS 16.5.1) and Emby Prem. (Version 4.7.13.0) on docker with latest iOS app from Emby I've noticed something.

While I have the same "ready for transfer" I've seen some things I need to share;

2. Although the status "ready for transfer" is visible, I can see on my network (unify) that the iPad is downloading at a high speed (200mbps).
  3. After that download, the next device will start it's download as it was waiting.

With this, it looks like the app(s) on various mobile OS needs another status as it's waiting on the server when it's done uploading towards a device that was already busy and thus in queue. Sometimes, a download will stop (my monitoring sees this as well as no speeds are measured for data transfers) and will restart after I reboot the iOS app.

Another status for the mobile app is 'ready to transfer' is stuck, it needs to be changed to downloading as I am seeying this being done through my network...

HI, that's helpful. We'll take a look at this. Thanks !

brian5678
On 7/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, Zephyer said:

Hello Luke and team,

I wanted to give you this additional information as I am using a similar setup but without docker.  I am running Emby prem (version 4.7.13 recently rebuilt in new jail) on TrueNas 11.3 (with newish hardware).  I was redownloading video media on multiple iOS devices (v2.2.10 app) and one samsung tablet (current version) for a trip.  I am no longer seeing "ready for transfer" (or playback) problems and I was both downloading original format and converted content. 

Another note is I do not use the the current iOS on my iOS devices (15.7.3, 15.3.1, and samsung default setup so always updating and current).  My network is using a MikroTik  (hAP ac) router/gateway [which the queues for bandwidth control continue to be a headache].  I have not monitored the transfer speeds to the various devices.   BTW prior MikroTik (RB951G) were solid without headaches but had slower network thruput.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
goodwintek

Hello - to add a couple things.

Latest Emby Server (Windows) and IOS App as of today.

1. Unable to access downloads anymore "offline" without connecting to a server. This was a veeeery handy feature

2. Unable to see or access any downloaded content in the Emby app - For example Music, fresh install, download 1 song, I can see the folder Music in downloads, but when entering the folder, I get "No items found". No way to play the downloaded content

Edited by goodwintek
clarification

lacose

Apologies for interjecting, but I really need to express my profound frustration with Emby. I've been a loyal subscriber, but the IOS offline download feature has been nothing but a letdown. It simply has never worked for me, and it's incredibly disappointing.

I've gone to great lengths to try and fix this issue. I went ahead and reset my Emby server not once, but twice! On top of that, I've repeatedly redownloaded the Emby apps on both my iPad and iPhone, hoping for a miracle. But alas, it's been a futile effort.

The worst part is that I see other apps like Infuse seamlessly providing offline download capabilities. So, it begs the question: why is Emby struggling with this seemingly basic feature?

I signed up for Emby with the expectation of being able to download my favorite content for offline viewing, especially when I'm on the move or without a stable internet connection. But instead, I'm left feeling scammed and frustrated.

If anyone out there has encountered a similar problem and found a way to make the offline download feature work on Emby, I'm all ears. Right now, I'm disheartened and seriously considering alternatives because this experience has been a real letdown.

• Agree 1

Spaceboy

not really helpful but this all works fine for me. downloaded albums from the iphone, from a server web ui to the iphone and played back the music after going offline. no issues at all

stable server, beta iOS app

On 7/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, lacose said:

Cant edit my previous posts, but i finally found a solution. 

Hi, what was the solution?

K1ng_Lear

Hi there,

I‘ve the same issues like the creator of the thread. The only thing I see is ready to transfer or it says transferring and it stuck at 0% for eternity. In my despair I prevent my device from going to sleep without any result. Unfortunately I am out of country so I‘ve only limited access to my server. 

embyserver.txt

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 8:51 AM, K1ng_Lear said:

Hi there,

I‘ve the same issues like the creator of the thread. The only thing I see is ready to transfer or it says transferring and it stuck at 0% for eternity. In my despair I prevent my device from going to sleep without any result. Unfortunately I am out of country so I‘ve only limited access to my server. 

embyserver.txt 126.9 kB · 0 downloads

Hi, did the download complete? You may also want to try clearing app data from iOS system settings and trying again.

K1ng_Lear
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, did the download complete? You may also want to try clearing app data from iOS system settings and trying again.

Unfortunately not. 

In the most time I‘ve an issue while on remote. Oh, I connected via VPN, from my current position, to my server and made a speed test.  35Mbit. When I start a download in EMBY it’s never excels 2 Mbit. And what ever I do, the download never finishes.