Cannot seem to download files to devices (all IOS)

ptlh2a

JPgruenewald

I'm also jumping on the bandwagon because I'm also facing some (other) download issues for music.

Let's say I want to download a playlist consisting of a complete album of a specific artist and a song from another artist which is just a single piece of music. The following steps are for both ("download"- & "download to"-feature) valid. The music is stored as mp3 on the server and it is available when connected via wifi.

1. Select playlist and download it

2. Download Manager shows the transferring process and finally "Downloaded"
    (15 items = 14 items from album artists + 1 item from another artist)

Note: In the Download Manager the "Transferring" is only changed, when I change the view and go back, then the text gets updated to "Downloaded".

1.thumb.PNG.9cf985de505d30068c4f2ec05efdbd37.PNG

3. Under "Downloads" I choose the media server, and then only the complete album is shown (14 items)

2.thumb.PNG.77163eda2dacda538b3bebb1131c0671.PNG

4. The track from the other artist is not visible. Interestingly, when I press the play button the missing track is played first (guess this happens due to the alphabetical order of the artists).

Some other issues:

• When I add some new content to the playlist and "automatically download new content" is enabled nothing happens.

Questions:

• Is there an albums-, artist-, genres- playlist- or songs-view available when music is accessed offline (via the "Downloads" tab)?

Thanks for everyone who helps me! 🙂

Device Info:
iPhone 6s with iOS 15.6.1

Emby Info:
see attached logs

embyserver-63797832749.txt embyserver-63797846400.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a1ec9654-58f5-4fe6-a027-1df224643728_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-b71334d5-3350-45da-b0e0-af94f29fccf0_1.txt hardware_detection-63797832314.txt hardware_detection-63797832952.txt

• 5 weeks later...
brian5678
1 hour ago, JPgruenewald said:

Can someone please help me with this Issue? Thanks :)

I solved the issue by installing the old ios emby app.  Both versions 2.19 and 2.20 work without issues for me.

FYI it's a royal pain to get the old app version.  You will need iTunes v12.5.3, Charles proxy, and Imazing (or other) to put old app onto iOS device.

I used the information at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL70CLXhF9U 

JPgruenewald
15 minutes ago, brian5678 said:

I solved the issue by installing the old ios emby app.  Both versions 2.19 and 2.20 work without issues for me.

FYI it's a royal pain to get the old app version.  You will need iTunes v12.5.3, Charles proxy, and Imazing (or other) to put old app onto iOS device.

I used the information at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL70CLXhF9U 

Thank you for this information. I will take a look at this. But for me it's an ugly workaround because I want to get rid of the crappy iTunes SW. That's one of the reasons why I want to use emby now :D

• 4 weeks later...
JPgruenewald
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Have you tried it again with the latest version of iOS?

Yes I did. The Emby server is running on a QNAP NAS (version 4.8.0.12 beta) and the Emby app (version is 2.2.5) is running on iOS 15.7.1.  

An update of the playlist (if some songs where added or deleted) is not automatically synchronized with my iPhone (auto sync is enabled in the playlist settings). And then there is a bug I guess. When I select the Downloads tab, only tracks that have an album cover are displayed. If I download a playlist with random songs that don't have an album cover picture or any other album information they are not shown on my iPhone.

brian5678
On 8/26/2022 at 9:39 AM, Luke said:

Ok we're looking into it. Thanks.

This was the last response from Luke regarding iOS app v2.2.5 not playing back download media.  FYI v2.1.9 & V2.2.0 still download and playback media.

Happy2Play

Had no issues downloading via 2.2.6 from Windows Emby server 4.7.8.0. Original or Converted items.

brian5678
22 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Had no issues downloading via 2.2.6 from Windows Emby server 4.7.8.0. Original or Converted items.

OK when will version 2.2.6 be put up onto Apple "App Store"??  v2.2.5 is latest version available.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, brian5678 said:

OK when will version 2.2.6 be put up onto Apple "App Store"??  v2.2.5 is latest version available.

Not sure when the beta will be released, but I but tested on 2.2.5 and had no issue downloading original or conversion.  Only tested on same episode as.

But get playback errors on Original and Converted.

iOS 15.7

Same downloads do play on 2.2.6.

@Lukeis 2.2.6 going to be released soon?

5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Not sure when the beta will be released, but I but tested on 2.2.5 and had no issue downloading original or conversion.  Only tested on same episode as.

But get playback errors on Original and Converted.

iOS 15.7

Same downloads do play on 2.2.6.

@Lukeis 2.2.6 going to be released soon?

We are working on it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
swallman

So is this still broken (for almost a year now) and the final fix still hasn't been released?  Just switched over to Emby from Plex and this is a serious deal breaker for me.

Just tried to download a small test video and like most of the posts here, stuck on "Ready to Transfer"...IOS app version is 2.2.5

EDIT: Just tried again and as long as you "convert" it to a non-original, then the download works.  If you want to transfer original, it never seems to start the download.

Edited by swallman

JPgruenewald

@Luke, I can imagine you guys have a lot of work to do. Still, for me, a reliable download is crucial for an Emby Premiere subscription. In other words: You could probably make more money if the app is fixed and updated (if necessary) on a more regular basis. I can hardly wait for the fix... 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !

JPgruenewald
16 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, Emby for iOS 2.2.6 has been released. Please try it out and let us know how it compares. Thanks !

Hi @Luke,

downloads are still not working for me. 

My procedure is:

1. On Computer: I create a playlist where I store all my music files that I want to sync to my iPhone. At first there is only one complete album (with cover picture and all songs) and one single song that is not part of any album and has no album cover picture.
  2. On Computer: I select the playlist and click on "Download". In the following view I select my iPhone (iOS 15.7.2 / iPhone 6S), Quality = Original and at last I choose "Automatically download new content".
  3. On iPhone: I open the app, then I wait for the download. After the download has succeeded, I only see the songs of the complete album. The single song is missing. -> Bug no. 1
  4. On Computer: I add another new album to the playlist (again with all songs and album cover).
  5. On iPhone: I'm waiting for the update and nothing happens. -> Bug no. 2

Am I doing something wrong here?

brian5678
On 2/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, Luke said:

Thank you for getting 2.2.6 released.  Why did this release take months to get released to just return to v2.2.0 functionality??

So far, v2.2.6 seems to download and play downloaded video media.  I did initially have the stuck in "Ready to Transfer" problem for over 12 hours.  Which I solved by turning the App's "Local Network" and "Background App Refresh" settings back ON & power cycling device.

I can not understand what the App does or doing with Bluetooth.

14 minutes ago, brian5678 said:

Thank you for getting 2.2.6 released.  Why did this release take months to get released to just return to v2.2.0 functionality??

So far, v2.2.6 seems to download and play downloaded video media.  I did initially have the stuck in "Ready to Transfer" problem for over 12 hours.  Which I solved by turning the App's "Local Network" and "Background App Refresh" settings back ON & power cycling device.

I can not understand what the App does or doing with Bluetooth.

HI, we completely revamped the video player. Apologies that it took so long.

• 1 month later...
JPgruenewald
On 2/4/2023 at 9:53 PM, JPgruenewald said:

Hi @Luke,

downloads are still not working for me. 

My procedure is:

1. On Computer: I create a playlist where I store all my music files that I want to sync to my iPhone. At first there is only one complete album (with cover picture and all songs) and one single song that is not part of any album and has no album cover picture.
  2. On Computer: I select the playlist and click on "Download". In the following view I select my iPhone (iOS 15.7.2 / iPhone 6S), Quality = Original and at last I choose "Automatically download new content".
  3. On iPhone: I open the app, then I wait for the download. After the download has succeeded, I only see the songs of the complete album. The single song is missing. -> Bug no. 1
  4. On Computer: I add another new album to the playlist (again with all songs and album cover).
  5. On iPhone: I'm waiting for the update and nothing happens. -> Bug no. 2

Am I doing something wrong here?

Are there any news regarding this issue?

Thanks for any help!