Cannot seem to download files to devices (all IOS)

ptlh2a

Good morning. I cannot seem to download any files to any of our IOS devices. When I instigate a download, I see "Ready for Transfer", but it never starts the transfer. I have waited over 3 hours for it to start (I saw in another post that the process can sometimes take a bit of time). This used to work with all of our devices, but now does not. I have instigated downloads both from the receiving device, as well as from the Emby webUI (to send it to a device). Both ways still result in same Ready for Transfer.

Playing the files thru the app, Roku, etc...work fine.

Server: Ubuntu 18.04 running Emby 4.6.7.0
All devices IOS 15.x (have tried even on 15.3)
Emby app v 2.1.1

All of the devices we use are Apple/IOS. I believe I have an older Android device to attempt the transfer with if needed.

I have attempted on one of the devices to remove the app, and reinstalled it. That did not seem to resolve the issue as well.

I have attached log files from the server in this post as well.

Please let me know what would be next troubleshooting steps.

Thanks.
Pete

embyserver-63779544028.txt hardware_detection-63779544034.txt ffmpeg-transcode-c3d1bf6c-d9db-4552-bc08-4c9c953c0407_1.txt embyserver.txt

I just fired up an older Android tablet that I have, and tested downloads thru it. It's running current Emby 3.2.32 (I let it update first before running it).

It successfully downloaded music without issue (and very quickly I might add). The downloads that I have setup for IOS are still showing ready for transfer, so this sounds a bit more like a strict IOS issue only.

Thanks.
Pete

• 2 weeks later...
cypher0117

Maybe try iOS 15.3.1?  I just updated my phone last night and seem to not have any issues downloading.  It didn't appear to work on 15.3 but I'm not sure if that was a WiFi issue or not.

Cypher,

Thanks for the post - haven't heard anything from support folks here, so kind of bummed about that.

Tried on my phone at 15.3.1 - same issue (the server gets the request immediately), and it just continues to show Ready to Transfer, but it never gets started.

I really think this is an IOS issue only (and it used to work all of the time). Don't know what else to try, and have not heard from anyone from Emby support on this.

Thanks for trying to help!

SirKelsaLot

Having the same issue with an iPhone as well. Windows and Android apps are working fine for the same user.

caveman456

Having the same issue running Emby server on a PC and Emby iOS on an iPad Pro. If I configure the download using the iPad it stalls on Ready To Transfer and does nothing further. If I configure the download via the WebUI on the PC using "Download To" then the download is pushed to the iPad straightaway and completes.

• 4 weeks later...

Can you try pulling up the downloads setting screen in the app? Everytime you do that we manually kick off the background download process, so if that helps then that might tell us something. Thanks.

Happy2Play

All I see is a disconnect in screens. Selected Download from iPhone.

image.png.d3a91f886584e09d8607f66fcee5d39a.png

image.png.22a47ba4eb605b8438895fc1a85f130a.pngimage.png.ae8c0306b868e389cc71bdc5b1972b7f.png

Finished

image.png.daecdeae4def3c6526b340d6fd5c6672.png

iOS app 2.1.4

iOS 15.3.1

But this was a test on beta 4.7.0.32.  Will retest on 4.6.7.0.

Edited by Happy2Play

No, try the app downloads settings screen from inside the app, not the server management screens.

Happy2Play

Retested on 4.6.7.0 and conversion shows same as above.

But testing the same file with download Original does stop at "Ready to Transfer" and Download to from PC does the same for me.  Something about Original.

Retested Original in 4.7.0.32 it kicks off a conversion converting audio and container instead of Original.

18:39:48.308 Stream mapping:
18:39:48.308   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
18:39:48.308   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> aac (native))
18:39:48.308   Stream #0:2 -> #0:2 (copy)

This does not make since as it downloaded locally instead of to device where download was initiated.

Edited by Happy2Play

21 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But testing the same file with download Original does stop at "Ready to Transfer" and Download to from PC does the same for me.  Something about Original.

Try pulling up the downloads setting screen in the app. Everytime you do that we manually kick off the background download process. That may help.

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try pulling up the downloads setting screen in the app. Everytime you do that we manually kick off the background download process. That may help.

Original will not do anything for me.

IMG_0219.thumb.PNG.72add25fbbfa2587fbb465b603f4ef1a.PNGIMG_0221.thumb.PNG.5fd4f9f1ed3691693df5ac9c16c008b3.PNG

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Original will not do anything for me.

IMG_0219.thumb.PNG.72add25fbbfa2587fbb465b603f4ef1a.PNGIMG_0221.thumb.PNG.5fd4f9f1ed3691693df5ac9c16c008b3.PNG

Are you sure you have enough space for it?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are you sure you have enough space for it?

Should be plenty as file size is 4.37Gb

image.png.7938cd86165d2be24a817894566012c1.png

img-0222.PNG.6b47687244e193bbe69f95d922f8ccf9.PNG

Happy2Play

For me anything besides "Original" will transfer, just tested 15Mbps option and video copy, auto converted.

20:22:04.958 Stream mapping:
20:22:04.958   Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
20:22:04.958   Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> aac (native))
20:22:04.958   Stream #0:2 -> #0:2 (copy)
20:22:04.958   Stream #0:3 -> #0:3 (copy)

Need to look at why Download does not choose the phone but am able to change with Download to.  But think this may be a beta issues but will check again later.

• 2 months later...
paulschofield

I'm getting this too, no downloads working for iPad or iPhone but very fast downloads to an Android phone.
I've tried running the server on Windows and Mac and the same thing happens

ptlh2a

I have attempted this on a brand new iPhone 13, changing the Emby of IOS to lower quality, and even clicking on More, Download to...and adjusting the quality to lower rates instead of Custom, and it still does not work. Just says Ready for Transfer.

Again, Android works great.

ptlh2a

Moving to 4.7.2.0 makes no difference. Still will not download music or movies, regardless of quality or lower rates.

This is about to push me out of paid subscription and go back to Plex. I have read multiple posts and threads about file transfer issues (this seems to have been going on for months/years), and this seems to be a constant problem. I don't want to have to pay for 2 different subscriptions just because of file transfer capability.

snake98

I purchased plex for lifetime, so I can download and watch shows on the ipad.  That all I use it for.

triggerx

Any updates on this?  Downloads to Android tablet just fine, will not download to iPhone or iPad at all.  They don't even show up in the "Download to..." menu.  I feel like this was working at one point.. no?  Recently moved over from Plex, but no downloads to iOS is definitely a deal breaker.  FWIW... Music downloads just fine... just doesnt download movies and TV shows.  Thanks!

Updated:  I feel like it's a server issue.... I've recently installed on a new server... v4.7.2.0.  The old server, on v4.6.7.0, seems to see and download to my iOS devices just fine... the new server, on v4.7.2.0 will only download to my Android tablet.  I'm afraid to update the old server for fear it will break my downloads.

Edited by triggerx

triggerx

I figured it out!  Finally!  Well, my problem at least, but in the event it might help some others, I'll leave this here....  I found that my list of "download to" devices was different for all my Emby installations, and was able to put two and two together.  I was logging in to the new box using Emby Connect on my iPhone.... and my iPhone was not being listed as a downloadable device on the server.  I logged into the server directly on my Android, and it WAS showing up as a downloadable device on the server.  So, I thought.. hmm... perhaps because I'm logged in through Emby Connect.  Sure enough... I logged out, and logged in manually directly to the server, and whallah... downloads to the iPhone work perfectly now!  While I think there's some combination of bugs and/or general UI/account confusion, but have no way to pinpoint... here are my observations:  1) I couldn't download videos to a device while logged in through Emby Connect only, but COULD download music.  2) Logging in directly to server, I COULD download videos to the device. 3) Even when I could not download, but clicked on "Download", it took me to the download screen but did NOT show me the Quality dropdown (or any other options), but the Download button at the bottom of the screen was Active, but just completely unresponsive.

In general, the connection between Emby Connect and manual login has always seemed a bit wonky to me... Like... on a particular client I always get hung up on "Where's the Change Server" link?  And then I realize i'm directly logged into a particular server, and not Emby Connect.  So for me, I think it would be nice if it would show on my Profile screen if I'm logged in directly to the server, or through Emby Connect.  As the only way I know this now is if I have a "Change Server" link.  (I think)  (perhaps I'm doing it wrong).

Hope this helps someone!

4 hours ago, triggerx said:

I figured it out!  Finally!  Well, my problem at least, but in the event it might help some others, I'll leave this here....  I found that my list of "download to" devices was different for all my Emby installations, and was able to put two and two together.  I was logging in to the new box using Emby Connect on my iPhone.... and my iPhone was not being listed as a downloadable device on the server.  I logged into the server directly on my Android, and it WAS showing up as a downloadable device on the server.  So, I thought.. hmm... perhaps because I'm logged in through Emby Connect.  Sure enough... I logged out, and logged in manually directly to the server, and whallah... downloads to the iPhone work perfectly now!  While I think there's some combination of bugs and/or general UI/account confusion, but have no way to pinpoint... here are my observations:  1) I couldn't download videos to a device while logged in through Emby Connect only, but COULD download music.  2) Logging in directly to server, I COULD download videos to the device. 3) Even when I could not download, but clicked on "Download", it took me to the download screen but did NOT show me the Quality dropdown (or any other options), but the Download button at the bottom of the screen was Active, but just completely unresponsive.

In general, the connection between Emby Connect and manual login has always seemed a bit wonky to me... Like... on a particular client I always get hung up on "Where's the Change Server" link?  And then I realize i'm directly logged into a particular server, and not Emby Connect.  So for me, I think it would be nice if it would show on my Profile screen if I'm logged in directly to the server, or through Emby Connect.  As the only way I know this now is if I have a "Change Server" link.  (I think)  (perhaps I'm doing it wrong).

Hope this helps someone!

Hi, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. We'll take a look at it.

brian5678
All my converted video media is sitting stuck in "Ready for Transfer" to my iOS device. I have been wait around for days for it to transfer.

Given my Downloads were a confusing mess of some item transferred and some on the list twice; I deleted everything from the list AND removed iOS app & data AND updated server to v4.7.2.0. I then reinstalled app and que videos to downloaded to iOS device. To my surprised all converted BUT none of it transferred. Super frustrated, I gave up all hopes of have any video content with me on my vacation to kids graduation. I am now I back, I am trying to get what I had back on iOS device before heading out to job location.

Local network with Emby Premiere v4.7.2.0 jail trueNAS server, webTV client, iOSdevice with Emby app v2.1.7 client