HOW TO: Recommended Cloudflare Settings

pir8radio

Never seen that.  
Also the tunnel works via cgnat so changing IP’s should have no issue. My ip has changed many times.  Never an issue.  It’s also not called Argo for a while.  Any change you are using an old config or something?

Maybe watch the old ibracorp YouTube vid on setup to compare config/setup?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it finally happened to me.  The free version of Cloudflare with emby it has stopped working. When attempting to start a video stream it just hangs and never plays the video. Oh well it was a good run while it lasted.

Edited by Flamez

• 2 months later...
frrilay

Hi all, anyone got recently TOS'ed?

I couldn't find section 2.8 on their website anymore. Maybe it has changed place.

image.png.e9619c4e39891f44ecd6ae07edc9fe66.png

Edited by frrilay

vaise
1 hour ago, frrilay said:

I couldn't find section 2.8 on their website anymore. Maybe it has changed place.

Still waiting…..

darkassassin07
2 hours ago, frrilay said:

https://blog.cloudflare.com/updated-tos/

Tldr; you can stream media as long as it's hosted on cloudflares systems. You cannot use the WAF (proxy) service to stream media from your own systems.

It'll work for a bit, then you'll get throttled and things will start to buffer like mad. Happed to me about two years ago. Just switched the 'proxied' toggle off so cloudflare only performs dns. Been fine since.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

JulesC

I recently switched from Google Domain where I was able to remotely access Emby to Cloudflare. I followed the "Recommended Cloudflare Settings provided by @pir8radio(THANK YOU!), however, now I'm unable to access Emby remotely which is hosted on  my Synology NAS. I'm receiving the following error: "The page isn’t working. <domain_name> redirected you too many times."

I used the video linked below to switch from Google Domains to Cloudflare and followed the Recommended Cloudflare Settings.

I'm not a network expert, so here are my naive questions:

• When I transferred my domain from Google Domains to Cloudflare, it transferred over my DNS Settings (i.e. Type "A" and "CNAME").
    Cloudflare recommends steps to complete zone set-up
    1. "Add an A, AAAA, or CNAME record for www so that <domain_name> will resolve"
    2. It currently has:
      1. Type "A", Name (required) "<domain_name>, IPv4 address (required) <my WAN address>, Proxy Status - Proxied, TTL - Auto
        * Should I make any edits here?
      2. "CNAME" _domainconnect connect.domains.google.com , Proxy Status - Proxied
        * I'm assuming I should delete this record - right?

• On my Synology NAS, I have the Reverse Proxy enabled - worked for Google Domains
    * Any changes I should consider?

• Do I have to change the Ports that I'm using on Emby for Local and WAN?
    UPDATE: On Emby Remote (WAN) Access, I was using Port 8920. According to Cloudflare, they do NOT support this Port.

Anything else that I should try? Any and all guidance is appreciated so I can have my remote family accessing Emby again. THANK YOU

Edited by JulesC

darkassassin07

Ports 80/443 are the only ones supported for connections proxied through cloudflare. Streaming media through cloudflares proxy is against their TOS however, and will be throttled eventually.

Disable 'proxied status' under dns records so it says 'DNS only'. Then you can continue to use 8096/8920.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Thanks 1

JulesC
5 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Ports 80/443 are the only ones supported for connections proxied through cloudflare. Streaming media through cloudflares proxy is against their TOS however, and will be throttled eventually.

Disable 'proxied status' under dns records so it says 'DNS only'. Then you can continue to use 8096/8920.

@darkassassin07Thank you so very much!!! That did the trick.

Just for my own learning, should I leave "CNAME" _domainconnect connect.domains.google.com , Proxy Status - Proxied alone?
I'm only asking because it points to google and I switched to cloudflare. Thanks again...

simonguillot@yahoo.ca

I need help to sort this out please

guys I am at loss

What is the best option? I heard cloudflare is no go.

Now twingate?

I desperately need help to acces my emby server and file server from outside

Any tutorials? 

I'm freaking out right now 

TIA

1 hour ago, simonguillot@yahoo.ca said:

I need help to sort this out please

guys I am at loss

What is the best option? I heard cloudflare is no go.

Now twingate?

I desperately need help to acces my emby server and file server from outside

Any tutorials? 

I'm freaking out right now 

TIA

Re: Duplicate posting from: 

• 4 weeks later...
darkassassin07

Cloudflare can't reach your server.

Do they have the right ip?

Can you reach your server from your wan ip? (from outside your lan)

vaise
33 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

I can't see how any of that applies to an Emby install, to be honest.

Cloudflare has nothing to do with emby.  It’s just a host machine it points to.  Try turning off the cf button for your dns in cf console.  See it it works with pure dns, then work backwards if that comms test works.

i still use tunnels myself.

crusher11
40 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

Cloudflare can't reach your server.

Do they have the right ip?

Can you reach your server from your wan ip? (from outside your lan)

IP is fine. It's been working for the past few years with no issue. Trying IP+port fails, but I'm pretty sure it's always failed due to the SSL setup anyway.

crusher11
20 minutes ago, vaise said:

Cloudflare has nothing to do with emby.  It’s just a host machine it points to.  Try turning off the cf button for your dns in cf console.  See it it works with pure dns, then work backwards if that comms test works.

i still use tunnels myself.

You mean switch it from "proxied" to "DNS only"? That gets me an "unable to connect" error from my browser.

vaise
59 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

You mean switch it from "proxied" to "DNS only"? That gets me an "unable to connect" error from my browser.

Sounds like an issue on your back end server then. Assuming your wan ip address has not changed by your internet provider.  

crusher11
8 minutes ago, vaise said:

Sounds like an issue on your back end server then. Assuming your wan ip address has not changed by your internet provider.  

Don't see why it would have. Googling "what is my IP" gives me the same address CF is set up with.

vaise

Good, wan ip is good.

if the port being forwarded to your emby server would be next thing to check.

vaise

If port is forwarding to server, and dns proxy is off, you can use an open port checker from internet to emby server port.  If it does not work, you have to fix that comms somehow.  I used to have proxy on, 443 to reverse proxy, then to emby (before cf tunnels which I do now).

crusher11
1 hour ago, vaise said:

If port is forwarding to server, and dns proxy is off, you can use an open port checker from internet to emby server port.  If it does not work, you have to fix that comms somehow.  I used to have proxy on, 443 to reverse proxy, then to emby (before cf tunnels which I do now).

Ports report closed. Router settings seem fine though.