Looking to switch from WMC/WMP

RAP58

IN case there is some confusion on who I set up my libraries, I used the Emby Server  Content Type selection of either Movies, Music - or Home Videos & Photos& - as per this dropdown:

image.thumb.png.7f39f9ce5a6d087710af6334a2d1023e.png

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, RAP58 said:

It is the case:

1. PRIMARY View:
    PrimarySML.jpg.82d449f115f25df855e2e5bf8555a9f4.jpg

2. BANNER View:
    BannerSML.jpg.1c05c07b7753bc275dd3c02484620acd.jpg

3. DISC View:
    DiscSML.jpg.65e9d58df04e31ed9e30af3193e5f581.jpg

4. THUMB View:
    ThumbSML.jpg.b7d5edb854ee59348440ef5f734ef1a3.jpg

5. LOGO View:
    LogoSML.jpg.9921cf8d12337128e248b5762cfb0cb7.jpg

Summary:  PRIMARY is stretched to fill the square button.  The BANNER button is clearly landscape. DISC shows the correct image in a square button.  THUMB is clearly a landscape button.  Same with LOGO. 

The only thing matter is the button.  That's what defines the layout in all of the view modes.

So how are these buttons in a portrait mode that would match the disc covers for DVD or Blu-ray?

In the above example, you have wrong image type for: Poster, Banner and Thumb, Emby is presenting them in appropriate placeholders (Primary view is exemption there as it will take shape of majority of images ratio present):

1.14 poster

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

Posters replicates the movie posters often seen in cinema complexes, or the front cover of home video releases, and contain a clearly visible logo or name of the video.

Image specifications
Name poster
Type jpg or png
Resolution 1000w x 1500h
Aspect Ratio 2:3
Transparent background

No

1.5 banner

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

In the video library, banners are wide and short images that contain recognizable characters or props from the video and typically includes a clearly visible logo or the name of the movie, movie set or tv show.

In the music library it contains the artist or band members and typically includes a clearly visible logo or the name of the artist/band

Image specifications
Name banner
Type jpg or png
Resolution 1000w x 185h
Aspect Ratio 200:37
Transparent background No

1.13 landscape

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Artists artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

Landscape images are fanart with text. They are used in certain page layouts for browsing. If the Landscape image is not available, skins can make passable replacements by using fanart and overlaying the clearlogo.

Image specifications
Name landscape
Type jpg
Resolution 1000w x 562h
Aspect Ratio 16:9

or

1.17 thumb

Thumb is the most basic art type (and the oldest historically) used by Kodi skins. The properties differ depending on the area of Kodi it is being used in. Skins often show this type of art both full size, and also as a small icon alongside each item in a list.

1.17.1 Video Library

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music Video artwork TV-Show artwork

This art type hold thumbnails that are still images from the movie itself, and can be generated from the video file in your library. They are also used as images for episodes in TV Shows.

They are normally used as a last option fallback if no other artwork is found.

Image specifications
Name thumb
Type jpg
Resolution 960w x 540h
Aspect Ratio 16:9

Note the description and image aspect ratios. You have almost 1:1 on all (or some odd ratio). 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

GrimReaper
29 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

FULLSCREENSML.thumb.jpg.1d1adad672929ae007502621e2be3fc0.jpg

As per above post, here only three posters are standard sized:4 Months, 5to7 and 6 Underground, but since majority is odd-ratioed, you got those three accommodated in such placeholder for visual consistency. 

Edit: Easy test, make separate Movie library with only those three movies - see what you'll get then.

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

20 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Yes, because everyone is assuming your images are standard-ratio ones, you haven't given an example of your folder structure nor images within. 

Are your posters 2:3?

Not sure what you are referring to as a "poster."  I am talking about DVD and Blu-ray covers.  And 95% are standard.  However, cover art-work is one thing - but I've referred to the "button" interface that encapsulates the art work.  Those are either square or landscape.  Who cares if you have the correct aspect ratio thumbnails displayed in those button containers?  This button containers define the layout in the page.  As a perfect example is the BANNER display mode, which will serious limit the number of movies shown does to its length.

6 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

Those are either square or landscape

Hi.  We are trying to tell you and showing you examples of the fact that that is not correct.  There is something about your specific images or setup that is causing that.  Grim's assumption may be correct.  If the first few items have an odd shape for a poster, the view will assume that is the most likely shape of the rest of your items and conform to that.

7 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

As a perfect example is the BANNER display mode

You would only choose that if you had banner images for your items and wanted to see them that way.  e.g.:

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RAP58 said:

My Movies created additional menu items that let you use personal categories (ex: Live Music Concerts) and searching filtering based on actors, directors, genre etc

"My Movies" was a plug-in for WMC.  That is to say it was an entire program built on top of WMC.  That is analogous to the old MediaBrowser plug-in which was the same thing.

@ Grim Reaper.  Regardless of the image (which BTW, looks perfect in WMC and Kodi), is the button container - or whatever you call it.  Its clear that this is NOT what is showing in the other screenshots presented here - and on the Emby web-site.  So you are saying this is due to having the "wrong image type"?  What do you mean type? file type, aspect ratio?  

@ Grim Reaper (2nd post): You are missing my point - whether it keeps the correct aspect ratio because the artwork was correct - or,  it fills the button container because it is not - the button container is square.  (Or in other View modes landscape.)  This is my comment and problem.  All DVD and Blu-Ray covers are neither square, nor landscape. 

Not sure if some of the academic discussions here are relevant.  I'd like to know why my movies are not shown as presented by other above - and on the Emby web-site.  Even the art work that you've pointed out as being correct, are not shown properly.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, RAP58 said:

Its clear that this is NOT what is showing in the other screenshots presented here - and on the Emby web-site.  So you are saying this is due to having the "wrong image type"?  What do you mean type? aspect ratio?

Yes. You have incorrect aspect-ratio images to be presented as it is for everyone else. 

If you want those images to be your Primary, that is the look you will get. 

2 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

@ Grim Reaper (2nd post): You are missing my point - whether it keeps the correct aspect ratio because the artwork was correct - or,  it fills the button container because it is not - the button container is square.  (Or in other View modes landscape.)  This is my comment and problem.  All DVD and Blu-Ray covers are neither square, nor landscape. 

Because there are only several standard image types/aspect ratios. Your images are odd. Emby is appropriating those to the closest standard one, 1:1 being in your case. 

7 minutes ago, ebr said:

We are trying to tell you and showing you examples of the fact that that is not correct.  There is something about your specific images or setup that is causing that

OK - but I did nothing in my set-up - yet.  That's they way everything was being displayed from the start.  

I have  5000 movies.  I can't believe that one incorrect image file is causing them ALL to be displayed incorrectly.   

There is some confusion on our communications back and forth - possible due to my lack of understand of Emby syntax.  Maybe we should focus on how to have my system display things like what is on the Emby site - and other examples posted here; clearly that is not the case on my system.

4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Because there are only several standard image types/aspect ratios. Your images are odd. Emby is appropriating those to the closest standard one, 1:1 being in your case. 

But why would you use 1:1 when no VHS, DVD, Blu-ray, art from is 1:1.  Assuming most folks sources are Blu-ray, worst case, it should be .85 ... If you want to argue DVD is more coming - that's even narrower and 1:1 is still irrelevant.

The corollary - and I've asked above already - would Emby use 1:1 if any single image is correct? 10 images?  

However, we have drilled further into the academic.  What is the fix?

GrimReaper

What is the fix?

Fix is to have those images 0.66666 (2:3). Or let Emby scrape them. 

However, we have drilled further into the academic.  What is the fix?

We need to diagnose exactly what is happening.  So far we are all guessing a little bit.

If you change the sort order on that view to something else, does the presentation change?

What do the source images for the first three items in the view look like?

12 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

If you want those images to be your Primary, that is the look you will get. 

But if I change it to DISC View - I get the same 1:1 button and I still get 10 covers per screen.  Other view modes, its worse.  We are spinning wheels here.  

Guys:  I'm just trying to get the interface that was advertised; because the display here, I don't think any of you would put-up with.  Showing me what you have - that is correct - gives me hope; but begs the question:  who do I fix this?

pwhodges

From my experience the display will change aspect ratio to accommodate the greatest number of images, or close to that.  I have had the display change as I changed the images I had to be more standard.

I guess your problem is that you already have images; if you allow Emby to refetch images and metadata for you, the problem would probably go away.  The names of those images might also matter, if they use one of Emby's key-words.

You could try moving a couple of dozen images into a new library without any images you have stored with them and look at the result after Emby has scanned them.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

1 minute ago, ebr said:

u change the sort order on that view to something else, does the presentation change?

Not really:  this is DISC View mode - and changed sort by IMDB rating:
Test1.thumb.jpg.58d9154d4bcdc81d863c283e664e1b31.jpg

Still 1:1 buttons  - still showing 10 movies per screen.  

BTW:  I'm currently in my studio office and this is on a 27" 4K display - in case this has an impact on things.

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

From my experience the display will change aspect ratio to accommodate the greatest number of images, or close to that.

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

In the above example, you have wrong image type for: Poster, Banner and Thumb, Emby is presenting them in appropriate placeholders (Primary view is exemption there as it will take shape of majority of images ratio present)

3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I guess your problem is that you already have images; if you allow Emby to refetch images

6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Or let Emby scrape them. 

3 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

You could try moving a couple of dozen images into a new library without any images you have stored with them and look at the result after Emby has scanned them.

56 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Easy test, make separate Movie library with only those three movies - see what you'll get then.

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

Not really:  this is DISC View mode - and changed sort by IMDB rating:
Test1.thumb.jpg.58d9154d4bcdc81d863c283e664e1b31.jpg

Still 1:1 buttons  - still showing 10 movies per screen.  

Exactly. Because for discart 1:1 is standard. 

1.9 discart

Used in: Movie artwork Movie sets artwork Music- Albums artwork Music Video artwork

Discart replicates the picture on the physical Blu-ray or other disc. The image itself is square and the disc image is placed in the center on a transparent background.

Image specifications
Name discart
Type png
Resolution 1000w x 1000h
Aspect Ratio 1:1
Transparent background Yes
Edited by GrimReaper
Append

7 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

Not really:  this is DISC View mode

Right, Disc images are 1:1.  Don't use that view because you don't have disc images.  Leave the image type at Primary because that appears to be the only images you have.

15 minutes ago, ebr said:

What do the source images for the first three items in the view look like?

Here is an example of the different types of images Emby can utilize:

image.png

Setting your view to one of those image types when you don't have that image type is not going to produce a very good experience.

@pwhodges:  Perhaps all your new users have just embarked on their very first media server and started from scratch.  Wouldn't that be nice.  I am not ready to make this a science experiment.  As I said, I've had no problems doing this with WMC and Kodi - and played around with Plex and not had these basic interface issues.  (I've stopped using Kodi for one set of reasons and Plex for others.  It's why I am here.)

@GrimReaper:  not sure about your post  - but perhaps you still completing a response?

@ebr:  Both PRIMARY and DISC view show a 1:1 button container with images are either inside the container with side bars - or fully cover the container.  The relevant fact is that the container is 1:1 and none of the cover art is.

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Setting your view to one of those image types when you don't have that image type is not going to produce a very good experience.

OK.  First question:  All the containers are square.  Earlier you posted this Screen:

image.png.f5a1d76f565db59a4e064cf5824a8ec9.png

How do I get that?  That's what I have in WMC and Kodi.

BTW:  Scrolling through my movies list, I note that there are some items that are duplicated; because there was more than one video file in a directory.  The My Movies metadata file - that I exported to each folder - if was read by Emby, should have  seen one entry.  Doesn't that indicated that Emby did not sue this and then attempted to create separate movie items for each video file?

How does Emby handle extra content?  This happens from time to time for movies; but is very common with Live Concerts.  

arrbee99

Its dumb question time - do you have music videos mixed in with movies and if so wouldn't it be better to have them separate ?