Looking to switch from WMC/WMP

RAP58

In case you didn't see my edits above:

9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Does MyMovies have the option these days to save your local metadata to an NFO file?  If so, can we see one of those?  If it does and those files are designed to be Kodi-compatible, then it is very likely we will read them.

Have you searched the KB I pointed to earlier?  There is documentation there on things like our multi-version feature and how to make that work.

12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Does MyMovies have the option these days to save your local metadata to an NFO file?  If so, can we see one of those?  If it does and those files are designed to be Kodi-compatible, then it is very likely we will read them.

Sorry missed this.  Yes they do.  Metadata files are exported to the movie folder for the following formats:

• XBMC
  • JRiver MediaCenter
  • Dune Media Playersinfo
  • Mede8er Media Playersinfo
  • Embedded data in MP4 files for Apple TV and others,
  • Popcorn Hour Media Players
  • DViCO TViX Media Players
  • Yet Another Movie Jukebox (YAMJ)
  • Windows Media Center Movie Libraryinfo
  • Netgear EVA Media Players
  • Xtreamer Media Players
  • SageTV
  • MediaBrowser

See here: 

My Movies - Collection Management

7 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you searched the KB I pointed to earlier?  

Yes! Thank- you! Still going through it.  Looking at the Premier feature matrix at the moment...

Very useful...

Premier feature matrix: implies that playing movies from my server on my Nvidia Shield is not possible without Premier.  Same on my Smart Android TV.  Only Windows is free?

9 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

Premier feature matrix: implies that playing movies from my server on my Nvidia Shield is not possible without Premier.

Hi. Notice the "App unlock" column there.  If all you need is playback, then a one-time app unlock will cover that on Android TV.  For Emby Theater on  your PC - it will require Premiere.

15 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

Sorry missed this.  Yes they do.  Metadata files are exported to the movie folder for the following formats:

• XBMC
  • JRiver MediaCenter
  • Dune Media Playersinfo
  • Mede8er Media Playersinfo
  • Embedded data in MP4 files for Apple TV and others,
  • Popcorn Hour Media Players
  • DViCO TViX Media Players
  • Yet Another Movie Jukebox (YAMJ)
  • Windows Media Center Movie Libraryinfo
  • Netgear EVA Media Players
  • Xtreamer Media Players
  • SageTV
  • MediaBrowser

See here: 

My Movies - Collection Management

Okay, so they haven't updated those formats.  XBMC is the old incarnation of what is now Kodi and MediaBrowser is actually the old incarnation of us :).  Both of those, probably are in XML and not NFO, correct?  It's possible our XML plug-in would read one of those two formats properly.

• Like 1

I would strong suggest nfo though as that it what emby server is based on. Our xml support at this point is legacy and mainly kept around for compatibility. It is not getting the same updates for new features that nfo is.

pwhodges
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Helpful to indicate exactly what app and what device(s).  Thanks.

Specifically for my quick check: Theatre on Windows and Opera browser.

Both failed only with AC3, theatre with a spinning circle, and the browser with a "No compatible streams" message.

@RAP58 - My music (ripped and much of it recorded with a microphone over twenty years) is only sporadically tagged, so I use the folder view.  MP3Tag doesn't recognise the .ac3 and .dts files for adding tags, so I presume you'd have to encapsulate them.  Maybe I'll experiment tomorrow (it's late here in the UK now).

Paul

Happy2Play

Can you post an example of metadata you have with media as this could provide more info on what you have that is compatible.

@ Happy2Play:  No problem - I'll need a couple of days as I am building a UNRAID parity drive and copying files over to the new system.

Something to note regarding Android or other clients.  Assuming you don't have the need for Premiere but have 3 or 4 Android TV clients in the house (just an example). If all of them are using the same Google Login account then you can make the Unlock purchase on one of them.  Then go to the others (with the same google account) and restore the unlock.  So the one payment will unlock them all.  

Each app/platform is different. You can't unlock a FireTV for example with your Google Unlock as it's a completely different store.

I still think you should install Emby Server on your PC (takes only a couple minutes) and then setup a couple libraries.  Setup one for Movies and one for Music.
Copy over a handful of your existing movies and albums and see what Emby does with your media.

You can then let us know what the outcome is for your sample libs and we can take it from there with any additional help as needed.
This way you can see how meta-data is generated and what things will look like.

For movies and TV shows I would check with our Knowledge Base on file naming.
You may have file names from WMP that won't be easy for Emby to use without renaming.  But there are a lot of utilities we can recommend to make fast work of renaming files.
It just depends on what your naming looks like.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159102-movie-naming
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

Here's a similar page on music but the file naming and folder naming doesn't matter a lot for music in current release.  Instead it requires you music is well tagged.
https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159113-music-naming

Looking forward to your test run.

pwhodges
13 hours ago, pwhodges said:

MP3Tag doesn't recognise the .ac3 and .dts files for adding tags, so I presume you'd have to encapsulate them.

I encapsulated each of these as an .mka file, to which tags can be added.  Both then played in my browser, also in Theatre from the Windows Store.  In Theatre for Windows Desktop, the encapsulated DTS played, but the encapsulated AC3 just hung with a rotating circle.

I've not investigated iPhone, Android, or Roku clients, as I don't have those attached to surround audio systems.

Paul

That's pretty strange as AC3 is usually well supported.
Did you have issues with the AC3 files on every client?

pwhodges

No, both files play in Android, for instance, and on the iPad (I get different results on the iPhone, but that's part of a more general issue).  I'll go through the clients systematically later, but for now I'll qualify the results by saying I've found there's an issue with the pure AC3 file, to the extent that its header has the wrong length in.  I'll find or make a good file and repeat the tests.

Paul

pwhodges

DTS, DTS in WAV, DTS in MKA all play in all clients I've tried (iOS, Android, Roku, Browser, Store Theatre, Desktop Theatre).

After repairing the files, AC3, AC3 in MKA both play in all those clients except Desktop Theatre, which just hangs.  I wonder if it's something as stupid as the fact that the file is four channels rather than six...

AAC, AAC in MKA both failed nearly everywhere.  I suppose the way I made those files was dodgy somehow; I'll try something different later, but I'm going out now.

Paul

• Thanks 2

Thanks a lot for testing and reporting this info.  It's quite useful and will come in handy in the future!

OK - sorry this took so long.  Dealing with my migration to UNRAID.

The list of attached files is what I exported from the My Moves Collection Manager when doing some tests and back-up the database, etc. - in preparation for migrating to UNRAID - and moving over to some other media centre product.  There are also images in each folder (Blu-ray covers, movie artwork - fanart)

See attached and let me know what is possible.

mymovies.xml 1492.Conquest.of.Paradise.1992.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.dvdid.xml 1492.Conquest.of.Paradise.1992.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.nfo 1492.Conquest.of.Paradise.1992.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.tbn 1492_Conquest_of_Paradise_1992_1080p_BluRay_x264_DTS-WiKi_mkv_JRSidecar.xml movie.xml

If all your movies are named in a similar fashion to

/1492 - Conquest of Paradise/1492.Conquest.of.Paradise.1992.1080p.BluRay.x264.DTS-WiKi.mkv

Then you should be ok as Emby will be able to match those I would think.
The naming isn't ideal but should be good enough.

OK - so since you are talking about "naming" - are you referring to the file name?  path?

Does this mean that the metadata in any of those exports would not be used?

Happy2Play
19 minutes ago, RAP58 said:

OK - so since you are talking about "naming" - are you referring to the file name?  path?

Does this mean that the metadata in any of those exports would not be used?

You have title and providerid so there shouldn't be any issues with your nfo files.  

One quirk will be <mpaa>Rated PG-13</mpaa> as you have Rated prefixed here, where it should only read PG-13.  So I would guess all your ratings would be considered unknown to the Parental control system.  But @Lukewould have to take a look as I don't know all the nodes Emby supports, like if your certification node would be used as it has "UK:15" so you have a mixed rating system here.

Edited by Happy2Play

Right for Emby, the rating fields are meant to hold only the rating, not freeform text where the rating is just part of that.

Hi.  With the exception of the rating, that NFO file should be fine.  I just created a folder matching your names and dropped your NFO file in it and got this:

image.png

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  With the exception of the rating, that NFO file should be fine.  I just created a folder matching your names and dropped your NFO file in it and got this:

image.png

But that rating expression

On 10/23/2021 at 9:42 PM, Happy2Play said:

<mpaa>Rated PG-13</mpaa>

got picked up in full? 

8 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

But that rating expression

got picked up in full? 

Correct.  We noted that would be a problem but it seems to be the only one.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:42 PM, Happy2Play said:

One quirk will be <mpaa>Rated PG-13</mpaa>

On 10/23/2021 at 3:45 PM, Luke said:

Right for Emby, the rating fields are meant to hold only the rating,

20 minutes ago, ebr said:

With the exception of the rating,

It seems that it has!  Which I'm OK with as it is human legible.

Guys thanks for this quick test; above and beyond but I will proceed with a downloads/install and proper test.  I've bailed on UNRAID - for various reasons, so I am in the middle of migrating back to Windows 10 (and using SnapRAID.)  In a 2-3 days I will start my Emby evaluation in earnest.

I do have some questions regarding the home theater experience and remotes.  I have 3 rooms that are essentially Windows based HTPC's: Living room, home theatre, and a recording studio.  All are surround 5.1 rooms.  All use WMC IR remotes or IR WMC keyboards.  Do you guys support these in some fashion?

Cheers!

Rob