Continue Watching is constantly skipping unwatched episodes

tjdennis

MBSki
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, then  yes I think that is mystery solved in your case.  The last played date was probably modified by the plug-in marking it as watched.  Go start watching the last episode you actually completed for about 10 seconds and then back out of it.  Now your next up episode is correct, right?

I would like to know for sure though as trakt.tv has my "date watched" for episode 4x19 as 8 years ago. Does the Emby trakt.tv plug-in grab the actual date watched or just use current date as date watched?

1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Does the Emby trakt.tv plug-in grab the actual date watched or just use current date as date watched?

I'm not intimately familiar with the plug in but I doubt it.  Could be an enhancement.

The act of marking an item as watched (by you manually or a plug-in) will set the last played date to the time that it was marked.

So there is not a bug with adding episodes to your library.  This is a side-effect of using the Trakt plug-in with items that were watched externally.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, cayars said:

So first unwatched episode from the last episode watched @ebr?

So if you had missing episodes and added them but were already on the last season, you could "rewatch" 1:1 and it will Next Up only the missing episodes recently added?

But that missing episode can not be next from future episodes.

Say you have Season 2, Episodes 1-6 but missing 2 and you watch 1,3,4,5.  Then add episode 2, S02E06 should still be Next Up not newly added S02E02. as the last played item was S02E05.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Say you have Season 2, Episodes 1-6 but missing 2 and you watch 1,3,4,5.  Then add episode 2, S02E06 should still be Next Up not newly added S02E02. as the last played item was S02E05.

That would be correct in that exact circumstance.  Next up is going to try and maintain the continuity of what you are watching NOW.

To get the (previously) missing episode as next up, you'd need to watch one of the ones prior to it first.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

So there is not a bug with adding episodes to your library.  This is a side-effect of using the Trakt plug-in with items that were watched externally.

Got it, thank you.

MBSki
Just now, ebr said:

That would be correct in that exact circumstance.  Next up is going to try and maintain the continuity of what you are watching NOW.

To get the missing episode as next up, you'd need to watch one of the ones prior to it first.

Good to know, although I'd prefer that it jump back to the previous season. That's just my preference though.

Got it, thank you.

No problem.  I think it would be a good enhancement for the plug-in for it to set the last played date after it sets the watched status.  However, I don't know if that information is available to the plug-in and, actually, I'm not sure if there is a way to manually set a last played date in our API...

• Agree 1

I'd prefer that it jump back to the previous season.

If you are watching a particular season, it makes much more sense to continue with that thread of consumption rather than jumping back to some other random point.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ebr said:

If you are watching a particular season, it makes much more sense to continue with that thread of consumption rather than jumping back to some other random point.

For example.  A very common situation where you would have random items both included in your system and marked watched in some non-sequential way would be either an anthology series (where each season is an entirely new storyline) or a series like "American Experience" where the episodes aren't really sequential in nature - except in some circumstances where they break topics up into multiple episodes.

In both of those cases, keeping your current watch sequence is the proper thing to do so that makes it the most likely thing  you'll want to see next.

CBers
26 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I use both Plex and Emby, but also want to be future proofed.

Future proofed in case you start using JellyFin 😀

• Haha 3

MBSki
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's why I said I prefer it to jump back to the earliest. I'm sure someone agrees with me, but probably not many. 😁

• Agree 1

MBSki
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

Future proofed in case you start using JellyFin 😀

LOL, you never know! 😂

• Like 1

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

That's why I said I prefer it to jump back to the earliest. I'm sure someone agrees with me, but probably not many. 😁

Like ebr's last post you can not do that with a series like "American Horror Story" since every season is a totally different story.

While a bit convoluted, I found this thread very worthwhile for understanding how this is supposed to work.
Because of the way I add and watch TV Shows I haven't seen some of the issues mentioned here.

It actually works slightly different than I thought it did but makes total sense.
Good info!

MBSki
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

While a bit convoluted, I found this thread very worthwhile for understanding how this is supposed to work.
Because of the way I add and watch TV Shows I haven't seen some of the issues mentioned here.

It actually works slightly different than I thought it did but makes total sense.
Good info!

I totally agree!! Although I think we need to get back to the OPs issue. @tjdennis Did this help at all?

tjdennis
7 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

I totally agree!! Although I think we need to get back to the OPs issue. @tjdennis Did this help at all?

I don't use the TrakT plugin so I don't have a synchronization issue. But I did learn a few options to try to fix my problems. I can try pulling the shows out and do a rescan and then put them back.  I'm still not sure why it wants to get back to that s5e12 episode so badly, but I am up to s5e3 so I'll be past it soon enough and things may work normal then.  I was just hoping that clearing all the Played checkmarks would make re-watching a show work correctly.

I don't know where to look up that last played date so I can't confirm anything for you to see if that was the issue or not.  If it's in a sqlite file or xml file somewhere, let me know and I can try and find it for you.

I turned on the legacy Next Up section on my home screen and now the Continue Watching only shows unfinished episodes.  I'll have to test it tonight to see what happens in the Next Up when I finish an episode.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, tjdennis said:

I turned on the legacy Next Up section on my home screen and now the Continue Watching only shows unfinished episodes.  I'll have to test it tonight to see what happens in the Next Up when I finish an episode.

This is a issue as the Combined Continue Watching Row can only show one item for any given series, so multiple resume points for episodes in series do/will have a issue for this combined row.  Separating them back out should show proper Next Up and all items with Resume points.

19 minutes ago, tjdennis said:

If it's in a sqlite file or xml file somewhere, let me know and I can try and find it for you.

It is in the library.db, you would need the item id to get the userdatakeyid from the mediaitems table, then use that userdatakeyid to filter the userdatas table for that item.

• Agree 1

tjdennis
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

This is a issue as the Combined Continue Watching Row can only show one item for any given series, so multiple resume points for episodes in series do/will have a issue for this combined row.  Separating them back out should show proper Next Up and all items with Resume points.

It is in the library.db, you would need the item id to get the userdatakeyid from the mediaitems table, then use that userdatakeyid to filter the userdatas table for that item.

+-------------+------+------+------+---------+----------+---------------------+-----------------+----------------+-------------------+------------------+---------------------+--------------+
|UserDataKeyId|userId|rating|played|playCount|isFavorite|playbackPositionTicks|LastPlayedDateInt|AudioStreamIndex|SubtitleStreamIndex|RatingLastModified|PlaystateLastModified|HideFromResume|
+-------------+------+------+------+---------+----------+---------------------+-----------------+----------------+-------------------+------------------+---------------------+--------------+
|203948       |1     |NULL  |0     |0        |0         |0                    |NULL             |1               |-1                 |1590294563        |1634657641           |0             |

Looks like it's just a NULL for that episode and I've never played it before. Same for the previous episode s5e11.   So if e11 wasn't played, why would it want to play e12 next?

I'll play with the query some more to see the rest of the show.

CBers
10 hours ago, ebr said:

That is not correct.  Next up should show the first unwatched episode after the last episode you watched.  With that logic, the scenario being discussed here works (random episodes marked watched throughout but are re-watching from a previous or other point).  At least, it will work as long as something isn't marking things watched when they are added to the system :).

That's exactly what I saw with my little test above.

Although your "Next up should show the first unwatched episode after the last episode you watched" statement above sounds like you're not sure either.

Anyways, looks like @mbarylski has solved his issue.

Now, is @tjdennis OK?

11 hours ago, tjdennis said:
|UserDataKeyId|userId|rating|played|playCount|isFavorite|playbackPositionTicks|LastPlayedDateInt|AudioStreamIndex|SubtitleStreamIndex|RatingLastModified|PlaystateLastModified|HideFromResume|
|203948       |1     |NULL  |0     |0        |0         |0                    |NULL             |1               |-1                 |1590294563        |1634657641           |0             |

Looks like it's just a NULL for that episode and I've never played it before. Same for the previous episode s5e11.   So if e11 wasn't played, why would it want to play e12 next?

I'll play with the query some more to see the rest of the show.

The PlayStateLast Modified date is Tuesday, October 19, 2021 3:34:01 PM.  Did you manually mark it watched?