Continue Watching is constantly skipping unwatched episodes

tjdennis

tjdennis

This has been going on for months. I run the server on a Windows box and clients on Edge, Firefox, Apple TV, iOS, and NVidia Shield. 

Basically, after watching an episode of a TV show, Emby will sometimes skip 4 or 5 episodes in the show.  On one series, every time I exit to the home screen, it wants to play Season 5, episode 12 of the show, even though I'm still watching Season 3. It's determined to play that one episode for some reason!  

I have marked entire series as played, then unplayed in order to clear the status.  But it just randomly messes up.  Can it not simply add 1 to the current episode number to find the next one to play?  Is it trying to go by file times or some other ridiculous sequence or something?

I've resorted to manually selecting the next episode myself in the episode description page when finished with each episode.  

Any ideas?

Hello tjdennis,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Does it happen on all of your TV shows or only that particular one? 

Good question.

This sounds similar to the issue @TeamB was having which, I think, he traced to some bad last played dates on some episodes.

7 hours ago, tjdennis said:

it wants to play Season 5, episode 12 of the show, even though I'm still watching Season 3

If you go to Season 5 episode 11, mark it watched and then mark it unwatched, does this change the behavior?

GrimReaper
Just now, ebr said:

This sounds similar to the issue @TeamB was having which, I think, he traced to some bad last played dates on some episodes.

Yep, that one immediately popped in my mind, hence remove-scan-readd-scan (or .ignore method) might work - if it is isolated case. It it ain't, that would likely indicate systemic issues. 

Typically when I've seen this it's because you have another partial or watched movie later in the series it's trying to use.  Go fix that as @GrimReaper mentioned and usually it will then work as expected.

tjdennis
4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Does it happen on all of your TV shows or only that particular one? 

It is definitely on more than one show, but I can't say all of them. None of them are partially watched episodes, but the TV shows have been watched before and then marked unplayed so they can be watched again.

Based on some of the other comments here, I'll take a look at the air dates and other dates in the meta data. I can see air dates causing a few close episodes to play out of order but they should never want to jump to another season.  I'll try the rescan option as well to see if it helps.

Thanks!

Hi.  Air dates should be irrelevant.  The key thing you can look at to be sure is right are the season and episode numbers.  Then there is an internal last played date that may have somehow been corrupted and is what is causing this issue.

MBSki

I have a few shows that do this. I've caught up on one of them, so it's no longer an issue. Another though, The Big Bang Theory, which I've been recording seems to get messed up every time a new episode is added. Right now it's showing up as Season 4, Episode 20. 

image.png.3749e2b77a2cf3cc8e0fca97615a5647.png

But I'm only on Season 1, Episode 4.

image.png.644088910a70dc54f118b072a460db97.png

There are no partially watched anywhere that I can see, and I've gone to the trakt.tv playback progress manager: Trakt Playback Progress Manager (sharkykh.github.io), and nothing there either. So, I have no idea why it isn't working correctly.

5 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

and I've gone to the trakt.tv playback progress manager

I wonder if that's a clue...

@tjdennis do you use trakt as well?

MBSki

Regarding my issue, Next Up (legacy) appears to be changing based on the last added episode. So for The Big Bang Theory, Season 4, Episode 20 is in my Next Up list. Guess what Big Bang Theory episode was added last night? Season 4, Episode 19. Next up shouldn't be changing based on the last episode added correct? IMO that's a bug. 

1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Next up shouldn't be changing based on the last episode added correct?

Correct and, if we can reproduce that, hopefully, it will lead us to why.  Perhaps in that scenario (with a recording) the last played date is getting set (or not set) to something that is throwing the system off...

tjdennis
7 minutes ago, ebr said:

I wonder if that's a clue...

@tjdennis do you use trakt as well?

Nope. I think the only plugin I added to the base set is Open Subtitles which I only use for my Movies folder.

49 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Regarding my issue, Next Up (legacy) appears to be changing based on the last added episode. So for The Big Bang Theory, Season 4, Episode 20 is in my Next Up list. Guess what Big Bang Theory episode was added last night? Season 4, Episode 19. Next up shouldn't be changing based on the last episode added correct? IMO that's a bug. 

Can you show us a screen capture of what you see viewing all of season 4 similar like you did for season 1?

MBSki
13 minutes ago, cayars said:

Can you show us a screen capture of what you see viewing all of season 4 similar like you did for season 1?

Sure, here's a more complete picture of Season 4. 

image.png.bdf4e6c2a4f129862615544eff516eed.png

MBSki

Adding episodes also re-adds episodes to the next up row. Is that supposed to happen? I removed these kids shows a long time ago, but every time I add an episode, they pop back up in next up.

image.png.456fbf35016b8cc0dc02ea9100a92b5a.png 

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Sure, here's a more complete picture of Season 4. 

image.png.bdf4e6c2a4f129862615544eff516eed.png

So technically according to this image S04E20 should be next up/continue watching no matter what as every before it would be irrelevant. Sounds like what @ebrdescribed with "Last played date" as you are mixing this.

But I'm only on Season 1, Episode 4.

So this is not correct as you have watched episodes on other seasons.

tjdennis
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So technically according to this image S04E20 should be next up/continue watching no matter what as every before it would be irrelevant. Sounds like what @ebrdescribed with "Last played date" as you are mixing this.

In my case though with Supergirl, when I decided to rewatch the series from the start, I marked then entire show as played, then as unplayed so all the checkmarks were gone. But I think I might have been up to s5e12 last year when I stopped watching.  Now that I restarted a couple months ago, it still remembers that s5e12 is next despite me clearing all those previously played episodes.

In my mind, it should be either looking at the currently played episode and adding 1 to the number. Wrap to the next season if needed.  OR, it should look for the episode with the next Release Date closest to the one I just watched (this would handle specials).  And then skip over any episodes if I already have them marked as played.  It shouldn't be looking at a last played date at all because that could have been any time in the past.

I did check the metadata for the s5e12 episode and those around it and I don't see a last played date field in there. The Release Dates were all in order, as were the file create dates.  Is there somewhere special that I have to look for where last played is stored for the series?  Or will moving the show out of the library and re-scanning clear all that data out?

Thanks for everyone's help here!

• Agree 1

MBSki
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Correct and, if we can reproduce that, hopefully, it will lead us to why.  Perhaps in that scenario (with a recording) the last played date is getting set (or not set) to something that is throwing the system off...

So "last played date" is getting set when an episode is added to my library? That does seem possible, but it shouldn't right? 

26 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But the last episode I played was Season 1, Episode 3. I don't see how Season 1 is irrelevant unless as I mentioned above, the system is resetting last played to = date added for some reason.

27 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I don't see how watching episodes in other seasons matters if I watched those other episodes BEFORE the episodes in season 1. It should actually be based on the last episode I played.

MBSki
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Last played date does not get set by the core server when new episodes are added.

Ok, good to know. Then why is Season 4, Episode 20 getting added to my Next Up list after adding Season 4, Episode 19 to my library? What does adding an episode to my library have to do with Next Up?

11 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Ok, good to know. Then why is Season 4, Episode 20 getting added to my Next Up list after adding Season 4, Episode 19 to my library? What does adding an episode to my library have to do with Next Up?

In your case, 19 is watched and 20 isn't.  Is 4x19 the latest - in the series - that is marked as watched?

Are you proficient enough poking in the database to see what the last played date is on 4x19?

Happy2Play
15 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Then why is Season 4, Episode 20 getting added to my Next Up list after adding Season 4, Episode 19 to my library?

But your image shows S04E19 as played so what do you mean after adding it?  The list will not be correct when things are played out of sequential order.  So from what has been provided S04E20 becomes the Next Up item.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

In your case, 19 is watched and 20 isn't.  Is 4x19 the latest - in the series - that is marked as watched?

No, the latest episode I have that is watched is Season 12, Episode 22. This is from Season 12.

image.png.c9d5d531e872858dabd6382179d92c55.png

11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are you proficient enough poking in the database to see what the last played date is on 4x19?

Not really, but I just ran a query from @Happy2Play to fix an issue with Artist images so I can at least run a query. 😁 If you give me the query I can run it. 

11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But your image shows S04E19 as played so what do you mean after adding it?  The list will not be correct when things are played out of sequential order.  So from what has been provided S04E20 becomes the Next Up item.

I mean I'm going back and adding missing episodes to my library. I don't have every Big Bang Theory episode in my library so I'm recording the episodes from Cable TV and adding them to my library. Season 4, Episode 19 was the last episode recorded and added to my library.

Happy2Play

I don't know the logic, but all there is is random unplayed episodes across multiple seasons.  But sounds like you want it to show the lowest unwatched episode.

But next up was broken once you watch something out of sequential order.

Edited by Happy2Play