Continue Watching is constantly skipping unwatched episodes

tjdennis

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If I were watching I wanted to track where I was the I would think so, and I would think it is acceptable at least to me it is.

Always from a unplayed perspective.

Not for me since I sync with trakt.tv and I don't want to mess with that. Although I don't really know if checked played/unplayed actually syncs with trakt.tv, but I prefer not to mess with it.

Happy2Play

If you want a outside source to control this then this is a different story.  I probably will never use something like trakt or want any of my watching habits tracked in a database like this.

But devs would have to comment, but I can see in your scenario this never working how you want, and I personally would not want it to work the way you want.

• Haha 1

MBSki

Just out of curiosity I toggled play status on episode 1:3, and now 1:4 is in my Next Up row. Quick manual fix I suppose. I'm recording 2 more episodes tonight. Chances are it'll go back to an episode in Season 10 in Next Up after the recording is added to my library.

image.png.5f9377f919d5f3aa671ff03d5dc86430.png

CBers

Long thread, but in my mind, the Next Up (legacy) logic is to display the first unwatched episode. 

I have all seasons/episodes of TBBT and all are watched, so none appear in the NU (L) row. 

As a test, I marked S4E3 as unwatched and that now appears in the NU (L) row, so it seems the logic of displaying the first unwatched episode is correct. 

I then marked S8E5 as unwatched, but S4E3 is still in NU (L). 

So I marked S4E3 as watched and now S8E5 shows in NU (L). 

This is how I expect it to work. 

Thanks. 

Edited by CBers
  • Agree 1

MBSki
7 minutes ago, CBers said:

Long thread, but in my mind, the Next Up (legacy) logic is to display the first unwatched episode. 

I have all seasons/episodes of TBBT and all are watched, so none appear in the NU (L) row. 

As a test, I marked S4E3 as unwatched and that now appears in the NU (L) row, so it seems the logic of displaying the first unwatched episode is correct. 

I then marked S8E5 as unwatched, but S4E3 is still in NU (L). 

So I marked S4E3 as watched and now S8E5 shows in NU (L). 

This is how I expect it to work. 

Thanks. 

Remove s8e4 and then add it back. I'm guessing s8e5 will be added to the Next Up row. Is that the behavior you'd expect?

1 hour ago, mbarylski said:

Again, this seems to have something to do with adding missing episodes to the library. Next up is keying off of newly added episodes and it shouldn't. Can you at least agree with that?

We have not determined for sure that is the case.  You are jumping to a bit of a conclusion based on a correlation but we have not shown that yet to be the cause.

One question I have is how did 4x19 get marked watched if it was just added to your library?  You said you watched it 8 years ago?  So, you had it in your library previously or what?

CBers
4 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Remove s8e4 and then add it back. I'm guessing s8e5 will be added to the Next Up row. Is that the behavior you'd expect?

If I removed and re-added S8E4, it would still be in a watched status, as it's stored in the user.db file. 

MBSki
1 minute ago, ebr said:

We have not determined for sure that is the case.  You are jumping to a bit of a conclusion based on a correlation but we have not shown that yet to be the cause.

One question I have is how did 4x19 get marked watched if it was just added to your library?  You said you watched it 8 years ago?  So, you had it in your library previously or what?

I didn't have Emby 8 years ago, I used Plex. Plex synced with trakt.tv and marked it as watched. FF to today, and Trakt is syncing watched status back to Emby. So when I added 4x19, the trakt plug-in marked it as watched.

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Is that a new row on Home screen? 😉

Yep sure is, but on your screen it's called Next Up.  LOL

Good catch. :)

• Like 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, CBers said:

If I removed and re-added S8E4, it would still be in a watched status, as it's stored in the user.db file. 

Right, sorry, if s8e5 was unwatched though, and you added s8e4, my guess (still a theory) is that s8e5 would be added to the next up row.

Happy2Play

Just now, CBers said:

library.db userdatas table, but I believe this is more about missing unwatched episodes being added to a series that has episodes played across multiple seasons.

CBers
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Right, sorry, if s8e5 was unwatched though, and you added s8e4, my guess (still a theory) is that s8e5 would be added to the next up row.

Depends what state S8E4 was. 

If unwatched, S8E4 would be next up. 

If watched, then S8E5 would be. 

• Agree 1

It would be nice to hear what the code/logic is supposed to do.
That would take a lot of guess work out of this.

• Agree 1

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

So when I added 4x19, the trakt plug-in marked it as watched.

To me this is the root cause (and tbh as I expect it to behave, as that episode got Played status today, i.e. is a last episode played, as far as Emby is concerned, so you get S04E20 as next). If you play any episode after that one (as you've simulated with S01E03), you'll get next episode listed in NU (L). 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

CBers
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

It would be nice to hear what the code/logic is supposed to do.
That would take a lot of guess work out of this.

I stated it above. 

Has always been like that. 

• Thanks 1

MBSki
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

To me this is the root cause (and tbh as I expect it to behave, as that episode got Played status today, i.e. is a last episode played, as far as Emby is concerned, so you get S04E20 as next). If you play any episode after that one (as you've simulated with S01E03), you'll get next episode listed in NU (L). 

Ah, yea, that could be. If someone has the query to check "last played date" in the database, I could run it quick and see.

CBers
Just now, GrimReaper said:

To me this is the root cause (and tbh as I expect it to behave, as that episode get Played status today, i.e. is a last episode played, as far as Emby is concerned). If you play any episode after that one (as you've simulated with S01E03, you'll get next episode listed in NU (L). 

Not sure why anyone would use an external tool to manage watched/unwatched statuses, unless you are migrating content, but with the level that Emby has evolved to now, you don't need to do that. 

Only the corruption of the library.db would require something like that, but then you should be using the Backup plugin. 

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Scenario, a unwatched Series with 4 seasons.  I go play S03E01 (watched) what should be Next Up S03E02 or S01E01?  Emby currently show S03E02 and it will continue from this starting point not jump back to the first unplayed episode.

Other scenarios of continuing to add missing unwatched episodes from multiple different seasons is a different situation.

13 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

So when I added 4x19, the trakt plug-in marked it as watched.

Okay, then  yes I think that is mystery solved in your case.  The last played date was probably modified by the plug-in marking it as watched.  Go start watching the last episode you actually completed for about 10 seconds and then back out of it.  Now your next up episode is correct, right?

MBSki
4 minutes ago, CBers said:

Not sure why anyone would use an external tool to manage watched/unwatched statuses.

I use both Plex and Emby, but also want to be future proofed.

MBSki
Just now, ebr said:

Okay, then  yes I think that is mystery solved in your case.  The last played date was probably modified by the plug-in marking it as watched.  Go start watching the last episode you actually completed for about 10 seconds and then back out of it.  Now your next up episode is correct, right?

I toggled play status for 1x3 and now it is fixed, yes.

31 minutes ago, CBers said:

That is not correct.  Next up should show the first unwatched episode after the last episode you watched.  With that logic, the scenario being discussed here works (random episodes marked watched throughout but are re-watching from a previous or other point).  At least, it will work as long as something isn't marking things watched when they are added to the system :).

Happy2Play

So the applied trakt watched status will coincide with the episode added date making it the newest played items.  With no correct "Last Played Date" trakt can/will mess all this information up in Emby.

So first unwatched episode from the last episode watched @ebr?

So if you had missing episodes and added them but was already on the last season, you could "re-watch" 1:1 and it will Next Up only the missing episodes recently added?

Edited by cayars