Continue Watching is constantly skipping unwatched episodes

tjdennis

MBSki
9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But sounds like you want it to show the lowest unwatched episode.

Yes, exactly.

9 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

But next up was broken once you watch something out of sequential order.

The logic seems to be broken because it's broken, not because I have several watched out of sequential order. 😁  

Happy2Play

Some would not agree if I watch season 5, season 1 would never be next up.

Try a quick test which may or may not help.

Click the played butt for season 4 so it's all watched, then again so it's unwatched.
Go back to home screen.  What is the next episode now?  Is it 1x5 or still 4x20?

Well it's called "Next Up" not "First Unwatched" episode so keep that in mind how it functions.

There really is a need for both especially if you don't add every episode at one time but start watching things out of order.  If you add an episode you have also passed you won't get that episode to watch using Next Up since you're past it on the timeline.

MBSki
12 minutes ago, cayars said:

Well it's called "Next Up" not "First Unwatched" episode so keep that in mind how it functions.

But how could it possibly land at Season 4, Episode 20? That's completely random. The last episode I watched is Season 1, Episode 3. So why would it all of a sudden jump to Season 4, episode 20 when I watched Season 4, Episode 19 eight years ago!?

Trakt.tv knows what my next up is. What is the logic of Next Up? Does anyone know what it's actually supposed to be doing?

image.png.1a8d2c4de5f3dddf74cf85701b578793.png

GrimReaper

Out of curiosity, if you disable Next Up (Legacy) and play S01E04, which one pops-up in Continue Watching row? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

Happy2Play

I would assume devs would need the entire scenario, not bits and pieces.  You have shown images with episodes watched in multiple seasons and talked about adding episodes in the middle of a series.  The logic in this entire series would be useless to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

But how could it possibly land at Season 4, Episode 20? That's completely random. The last episode I watched is Season 1, Episode 3. So why would it all of a sudden jump to Season 4, episode 20 when I watched Season 4, Episode 19 eight years ago!?

Because you showed us this for season 4.
image.png

It therefore thinks the next episode to watch is the one following the last/highest episode watched which is 4:19.  Thus 4:20 is next to continue watching.

Continue Next is really only useful when watching episodes in order without jumping around and when you have all episodes entered in order.  If you add episodes but have some missing and continue past the missing they are gone from next up.

• Agree 1

MBSki
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Because you showed us this for season 4.
image.png

It therefore thinks the next episode to watch is the one following the last/highest episode watched which is 4:19.  Thus 4:20 is next to continue watching.

If that reasoning was correct then Season 12, Episode 23 would be next up. 

image.png.c6acb38d79bf2dec7ba4c1f3b42793e1.png

Again, this seems to have something to do with adding missing episodes to the library. Next up is keying off of newly added episodes and it shouldn't. Can you at least agree with that?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, mbarylski said:

Again, this seems to have something to do with adding missing episodes to the library. Next up is keying off of newly added episodes and it shouldn't. Can you at least agree with that?

It is possible but have never done any out of order events like this.   And never had a series with randomly unwatched episodes.  So I can admit this would create total chaos depend on date logic.

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

It is possible but have never done any out of order events like this.   And never had a series with randomly unwatched episodes.  So I can admit this would create total chaos depend on date logic.

Yep, and it's a bit unusual for me too, but I've decided to go back and add episodes from old shows to my collection/library which highlighted the issue. I'm sure this wasn't an imagined scenario when Next Up was first invented. I'm just pointing out the issue so @Luke or @ebr can fix the bug that was never imagined. 😁

It's really hard to say why 23 or 25 (if it exists) wasn't chosen but it likely has to do with when they were watched vs when this feature was updated/changed.
It may be impossible to diagnose here in the forums.

All I can say is watching episodes in order when they already exist on the system will be near bullet proof. If you have missing episodes, add them in after the fact or jump around watching episodes out of order you millage may differ.

Like @Happy2Play I have not tried that either as it's not the point of using Next Up. Next Up is meant to help you watch episodes from first to last in order and that's how I've done my testing.

Edited by cayars

Happy2Play

So with the logic of Adding S04E19 as a new epsidode and it has been watch and S04E20 has not, I can see how that would be the next up since newest Date added is S04E19.

MBSki
Just now, Happy2Play said:

So with the logic of Adding S04E19 as a new epsidode and it has been watch and S04E20 has not, I can see how that would be the next up since newest Date added is S04E19.

But it shouldn't use "Date added". It should use "last played" just like trakt.tv does.

MBSki
1 minute ago, cayars said:

All I can say is watching episodes in order when they already exist on the system will be near bullet proof. If you have missing episodes, add them in after the fact or jump around watching episodes out of order you millage may differ.

Like @Happy2Play I have not tried that either as it's not the point of using Next Up. Next Up is meant to help you watch episodes from first to last in order.

I don't know why you keep saying this. I'm simply pointing out a scenario that is causing an issue. Do we want issues fixed or not?

Just now, mbarylski said:

But it shouldn't use "Date added". It should use "last played" just like trakt.tv does.

Why?  If I've watched a series up to 5:5 for example but go back and watch 2:7 because someone mentioned something about that episode to me, I would not want that to become my Last Played and base Next Up on it.  I want it to continue with where I left off and show me 5:6 next.

Happy2Play
Just now, mbarylski said:

Personally could care less what others do as I could say they are wrong also as it is a point of view.  If I watch something in say season 5 I will not want my next up item to be something in a lower season.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Why?  If I've watched a series up to 5:5 for example but go back and watch 2:7 because someone mentioned something about that episode to me, I would not want that to become my Last Played and base Next Up on it.  I want it to continue with where I left off and show me 5:6 next.

LOL, but you left off at 2:8!!! 😅 Seriously though, that scenario would put you back to 5:6 anyways, because everything else is watched.

MBSki
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally could care less what others do as I could say they are wrong also as it is a point of view.  If I watch something in say season 5 I will not want my next up item to be something in a lower season.

Ugh, but I haven't WATCHED anything in Season 4 in the past 8 years! Adding a missing episode is NOT the same as watching a show. 

So, let me ask you this. I'm also missing episode 5:11. If I add 5:11, should Next Up move to 5:12 even though I haven't watched 4:20 yet? 

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

So, let me ask you this. I'm also missing episode 5:11. If I add 5:11, should Next Up move to 5:12 even though I haven't watched 4:20 yet?

From your scenario of random unwatched episodes across multiple season anything is possible.  And from this random order scenario I believe yes item added date is a factor.

This is a broke scenario that as said no one has ever tested and would assume never thought about logically.  But I personally would never consider a lower season\episode for next up if I am or have watched a higher season\episode.  Now if am rewatching then I would remove all played state so the series can be played in proper sequential order again.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Now if am rewatching then I would remove all played state so the series can be played in proper sequential order again.

A user shouldn't have to do that though.

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

A user shouldn't have to do that though.

If I were rewatching I wanted to track where I was the I would think so, and I would think it is acceptable at least to me it is.

Always from a unplayed perspective.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
44 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Out of curiosity, if you disable Next Up (Legacy) and play S01E04, which one pops-up in Continue Watching row? 

Actually, I don't even have to disable the legacy row. If I play 1:4, then 1:5 shows up within legacy or new Continue Watching row. It goes back to new episodes getting added are acting the same way as watching an episode.