Emby Server for DSM7 Now in Synology Package Center

Luke

That would seem strange as this should be /volume1/Emby

If you to Control Panel->External Devices do you have anything that shows up there?

10 minutes ago, cayars said:

That would seem strange as this should be /volume1/Emby

If you to Control Panel->External Devices do you have anything that shows up there?

I have only my USB drive that is used for backup and it correctly shows up as "USBShare1". Like I said previously - I believe that when I was in Putty using SSH with sudo, I entered the command "mv /volume1/Emby /Volume1/Emby6" and that renamed the share. This was in lieu of doing it via control panel - shared folders. So when the backup started it could not find /Voume1/Emby as it no longer existed. Then when I rebooted the server, DSM recognized the new name and displayed it via the UI. At least that is what I think happened.  Nonetheless, can you confirm is the DSM7 version of Emby even references the old Emby shared folder? Since I am on DSM7 with the compatible Emby software, I am thinking I can delete tht share as it no longer needed.

Edited by JSopha
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm sorry, some how I missed the "mv" command you mentioned.  Yes this would appear fine then.

I would not be concerned about the single entry in the logs.

demon1300
On 24/09/2021 at 01:57, cayars said:

Are you trying to install the beta or release version of Emby Server?

You are running DSM 7 correct?

Just the release version that's in the main Synology package centre.  I've tried the other manual packages (both prod and beta) and they fail with a similiar error.

Yes, definitely running DSM 7 (7.0.1-42214)

Cheers,

Rob

39 minutes ago, demon1300 said:

Yes, definitely running DSM 7 (7.0.1-42214)

This is the invalid file format error?

To add to the above, if this is still the same issue I have a couple of things we can try.

Download the DSM 7 4.6.4 release from the website download page.
On your PC open Powershell and type in

Get-FileHash C:\DSMUpgrade\emby-server-synology_4.6.4.0_x86_64.spk

Change the path to the folder where you have the spk.  This will generate a checksum.  Make sure it's

Algorithm       Hash
---------       ----
SHA256          F3BF4F54B56D185BBA01A22A824CDEDF697DE8B35D2A01C44D00269DEE8E63A5

This will guarantee there is no issue with the download.
If you get the same HASH code, try installing it on your NAS.

If you get an invalid format error again go to Log Center and see if anything was logged here that could be of help.

ng4ever
On 9/16/2021 at 7:58 AM, FrostByte said:

Check the Auto-update setting in Package Center.  I'm on beta, but if you're on the stable release and it's still grayed out, then it may require you to manually update once from the Synology store before you can check that box.  Someone else on stable reported theirs is grayed out still.  I don't know if the Synology store will auto-update the releases Emby puts out for download in spk as there may be no link there so it may take until the second update for it all to work out.

Also, make sure Auto-update is on in Emby dashboard. 

If it's still not auto-updating after the second update then something may be wrong.

syno2.jpg.6d7e21fd294938375aa40b8c22c30efb.jpg

This is what I am wondering too!

ng4ever
On 9/23/2021 at 4:47 PM, FrostByte said:

The only issue I see is that auto update for Emby is disabled in PC which I hope works itself out after the first install from the store

Me too.

FrostByte

I don't have high hopes right now.  Someone posted they installed clean from the store and the option to auto update is still grayed out. :(

• Sad 1

ng4ever
7 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I don't have high hopes right now.  Someone posted they installed clean from the store and the option to auto update is still grayed out. :(

That sucks :(

7 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I just checked both installs I did (DS218J and DS220+) - both have the auto update grayed out.. :( Mine were manual upgrades from DSM6 versions.

Jeff

Edited by JSopha

• 1 month later...
ng4ever

Looks like it is show time if it will work or not now.

Emby 4.6.5.0 was just released.

I have no problem if it takes a few days or even a week to auto update. If it even does.

It won't. I believe auto updates are only for Synology apps and not for 3rd party.

You can see for yourself what packages will auto update by going to package center.
Click the settings button top right.
Then look at the auto update column.

• Like 2

ng4ever
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

It won't. I believe auto updates are only for Synology apps and not for 3rd party.

You can see for yourself what packages will auto update by going to package center.
Click the settings button top right.
Then look at the auto update column.

:(

Why were we told it would though kinda once it was released in the Synology package center ?

I looked it is greyed out :(

This sucks.

Oh well.

So should we all install it manually from emby.tv the update ? Will it hurt anything ?

Edited by ng4ever

14 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

Why were we told it would though kinda once it was released in the Synology package center ?

This sucks.

Oh well.

So should we all install it manually from emby.tv the update ? Will it hurt anything ?

It's not in Package Center yet because it generally takes a few weeks to get through the Synology review process. So you have the option of waiting for that or installing manually if you want it right away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ng4ever
Just now, Luke said:

It's not in Package Center yet because it generally takes a few weeks to get through the Synology review process. So you have the option of waiting for that or installing manually if you want it right away.

Ok thank you but would it install automatically even if I waited ?

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

This sucks.

Oh well.

I don't recall anyone saying it would auto update.  Luke did mention he wasn't sure and we would have to wait and see, so some of us were hoping. 

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

ng4ever
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

I don't recall anyone saying it would auto update.  Luke did mention he wasn't sure and we would have to wait and see, so some of us were hoping. 

True.

Thanks

1 minute ago, ng4ever said:

Ok thank you but would it install automatically even if I waited ?

If you installed from Package Center, yes. If you installed manually, we're not sure yet if it will auto-update on top of that. 4.6.4 is the first package. 4.6.5 will be the second. We're going to wait and see just like you will.

• Thanks 1

ng4ever
1 minute ago, Luke said:

If you installed from Package Center, yes. If you installed manually, we're not sure yet if it will auto-update on top of that. 4.6.4 is the first package. 4.6.5 will be the second. We're going to wait and see just like you will.

Ok.

39 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Correct, but you don't even need to wait to find out as you can look right on your own system to see what apps will or won't auto update.

At least with Emby, you get a notice right on the Dashboard a new version is ready to install.  Then a couple clicks later and you're upgraded!

FrostByte
7 hours ago, cayars said:

Correct, but you don't even need to wait to find out as you can look right on your own system to see what apps will or won't auto update.

At least with Emby, you get a notice right on the Dashboard a new version is ready to install.  Then a couple clicks later and you're upgraded!

True.  Though I'm hoping Package Center would at least tell you there is an update available also just like when we had the repository before.  That may require you to install from the store and wait a couple releases to see

I seem to recall the Synology rep who used to be here mentioning they turned off auto update on the repository because they didn't think it was a good idea.  So it sounded like it was something they could turn on if they wanted.  I wasn't aware all 3rd party apps were turned off though as Emby is the only one I have.

I could be wrong on that (3rd party apps) but from all the Synology NAS I've looked at this is what I've observed.  It's not from anything I've read or from anything on Synology's site so take what I said with a grain of salt. 

But everyone can look at their own settings to know/understand what will/won't get auto updated.