Emby Server for DSM7 Now in Synology Package Center

Luke

heffeque

Only thing I noticed on my DS918+ is that some apps have issues with transcoding when subs are active, but I barely use transcoding, so I haven't bothered yet to extract some error logs (might do so some day).

Not sure if that worked on the previous version, so can't really tell if it's a regression.

• Thanks 1

Hi

I tried both Arm v7 and v7 legacy manual install to my Synology DS418 (DSM v7.1).  Neither the Beta or Stable Armv7 manual downloads will install. Both say not compatible with DSM71 on this NAS. 

Edited by Emxynet

FrostByte
30 minutes ago, Emxynet said:

Hi

I tried both Arm v7 and v7 legacy manual install to my Synology DS418 (DSM v7.1).  Neither the Beta or Stable Armv7 manual downloads will install. Both say not compatible with DSM71 on this NAS. 

Can you post a screen shot of the error with filename?  thanks

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

First screenshot: emby-server-synology7-mono_4.7.6.0_armv7_legacy.spk

Second: emby-server-synology7_4.7.6.0_armv7.spk

I also did the same thing with the Beta images. 

1229463011_Screenshot2022-09-13at15_22_57.thumb.png.ea53897c376eeb65c43b6fdbcc55767b.png548547168_Screenshot2022-09-13at15_25_58.thumb.png.02663ce3adcede5c86e5810be0559e46.png

Edited by Emxynet

On 13/09/2022 at 12:15, FrostByte said:

I know it's only been a day just checking that you have seen the screenshots. I'm also curious as to what happens next.

Thanks.

FrostByte
2 minutes ago, Emxynet said:

I know it's only been a day just checking that you have seen the screenshots. I'm also curious as to what happens next.

Thanks.

Hopefully, @Lukecan take a look. 

On 14/09/2022 at 14:38, FrostByte said:

1522396712_Screenshot2022-09-16at09_58_43.png.1552916a36842bc2708eaf68f3a073eb.png

My DSM version is DSM 7.1-42661 Update 4. This is my problem in a nutshell. It doesn't recognise your 4.7.6 version online as the latest which makes sense since it won't let me manually installed it because it is incompatible..

On 14/09/2022 at 14:38, FrostByte said:

You could have told me I was installing the wrong binary image. Yes it's obvious now and I was dumb, but it would have been nice if someone bothered to tell me. Not digging this support.

Edited by Emxynet

4 hours ago, Emxynet said:

You could have told me I was installing the wrong binary image. Yes it's obvious now and I was dumb, but it would have been nice if someone bothered to tell me. Not digging this support.

Apologies. I don't think we had realized that yet.

There are so many Synology models it's hard for anyone reading forum posts to know what version a person should be using without having to check unless you happen to have that NAS.
We have tried to simplify this as much as possible for Synology listing a couple steps to follow.

The first step is checking the reference document for your NAS to see what the architecture and proper version is to download. When looking at this it shows the DS418 using the armv8 architecture so you would download that version to complete step 1.

image.png

Every once in a while someone downloads the wrong architecture version so you weren't the first to do that nor will you be the last to do so. I'm wondering if you could elaborate or maybe help us improve this by letting us know if you had trouble reading the reference document or did you just have it in your mind you needed the Arm 7 version and skipped that step?

We could probably require selecting the NAS version which would then only give you a single choice (or also ask if it's DSM 6.x or 7.x) but for those who know exactly the version they need it's quicker to download it the way the page is laid out now.

Any help or suggestion you can make would be welcomed feedback.

Carlo

14 minutes ago, cayars said:

There are so many Synology models it's hard for anyone reading forum posts to know what version a person should be using without having to check unless you happen to have that NAS.
We have tried to simplify this as much as possible for Synology listing a couple steps to follow.

The first step is checking the reference document for your NAS to see what the architecture and proper version is to download. When looking at this it shows the DS418 using the armv8 architecture so you would download that version to complete step 1.

image.png

Every once in a while someone downloads the wrong architecture version so you weren't the first to do that nor will you be the last to do so. I'm wondering if you could elaborate or maybe help us improve this by letting us know if you had trouble reading the reference document or did you just have it in your mind you needed the Arm 7 version and skipped that step?

We could probably require selecting the NAS version which would then only give you a single choice (or also ask if it's DSM 6.x or 7.x) but for those who know exactly the version they need it's quicker to download it the way the page is laid out now.

Any help or suggestion you can make would be welcomed feedback.

Carlo

Hi Carlo

Thanks for getting back to me. As you say, there are many different NAS versions.  I didn't refer to any document because I normally don't need to,  so I'm a little confused as to why I made such an obvious mistake. My only comment is that in general I've had to look around your docs and the forum to find various bits of information to get Emby working. Maybe part of the problem is that your documentation is neither geared towards beginners or the experienced, but somewhere in between? Anyway thanks again :)

Edited by Emxynet

It happens, you weren't the first and surely won't be the last to do that.  Many things are done to strike a balance that hopefully works as well for new users as it does for experience users.  The download page could be "fool-proofed" a bit by having to select a NAS model then only getting files specific for that NAS. That would make updating the website more tedious as well as likely frustrate "pro-users" who know exactly what architecture they need and can access, and download needed files quickly from our site using the present format.

Other users who don't know what specific file is needed can follow step one instructions to find it. After doing that once or twice it will become second nature for them as well so the download pages while not perfect are sort of the best of both worlds from that perspective.

We are always open to advice so if you can think of a change in wording or something on that page that would have helped let us know.  We're constantly improving things from code to documentation to website and support sites which all combine to be part of the Emby Experience.

User feedback on anything like this is always appreciated.

Carlo

• Like 2