OpenSubtitles failing haven't hit limit, hasn't worked in a while

CyberD00d
Go to solution Solved by CyberD00d,

CyberD00d

After investigating my lack of subtitles, I found that my opensubtitles free account no longer existed.  I registered a new one with the same email address and verified it.  I can now login to the website and search for subtitles there.

However, updating the login credentials in the plugin still fails to produce subtitles.

My embyserver log shows an HTTP error 520.  Is anyone else getting this?  Looks like either they've blackballed the API used by Emby or the plugin needs an update.

Operating system: Linux version 5.4.0-80-generic (buildd@lcy01-amd64-030) (gcc version 9.3.0 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04)) #90-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 9 22:49:44 UTC 2021
        Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
        OS/Process: x64/x64
        Runtime: opt/emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
        Processor count: 8
        Data path: /var/lib/emby
        Application path: /opt/emby-server/system
        MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: MediaBrowser.Model.Net.HttpException: 520
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsyncInternal(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
           at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpClientManager.CoreHttpClientManager.SendAsync(HttpRequestOptions options, String httpMethod)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.SendRequestAsync(ReadOnlyMemory`1 request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Login(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at OpenSubtitles.OpenSubtitleDownloader.Search(SubtitleSearchRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
           at MediaBrowser.Providers.Subtitles.SubtitleManager.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<<SearchSubtitles>b__3>d.MoveNext()
        Source: Emby.Server.Implementations
        TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

Hi, it seems to be working just fine for me. Perhaps they already rate limited you prior to entering your VIP account? I would just give it a try again later.

CyberD00d

Rate limiting returns a different error though, so that wouldn't make sense.  Not to mention it's been weeks since I've downloaded any subtitles.

Edited by CyberD00d

CyberD00d

Looks like a 520 error is specific to CloudFlare - which I assume opensubtitles is behind.  

Cloudflare

Cloudflare's reverse proxy service expands the 5xx series of errors space to signal issues with the origin server.[91]

520 Web Server Returned an Unknown Error
The origin server returned an empty, unknown, or unexplained response to Cloudflare.[92]
Edited by CyberD00d

• Solution
CyberD00d

Okay egg on my face, but I'll leave this here for the next idiot to do what I did.  I crossed opensubtitles.com and .org up - my free account still existed, I just registered at .com and then tried plugging those in.  Subtitles are working with my original login and I'm assuming the actual fix was that I updated and rebooted my server.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you mention it because I think that could happen to anyone. We'll look at improving the config screens to make it more explicit where you need to go.

• 2 years later...