Sluggish UI

ReadySalted

Did a remote session but unfortunately being remote I can't see a difference between web and theater updating screen as everything is delayed when doing a remote session.

Seems like the problem is only in TV and not Desktop mode.  Is that correct?

generiq
21 hours ago, readysalted said:

Scrolling down is slower than scrolling up.

This is what's curious. @Lukehow is Theater rendering/storing the cover art? Does it load increasing amounts of data into the memory, the further down we scroll, and unload as we scroll up? Or did you guys finally make it virtual, and only load a certain amount of rows at any point in time? I'm just wondering if something is messing with or limiting electron with the rendering????? And could possibly only be exploited/manifest in certain circumstances???? Something is definitely messing with electron in some way. Maybe a lag in the time it takes to pull the images from the server????

ReadySalted

I'll make some videos tomorrow showing my key presses. I felt like it was a repeated event keyboard thing. When you press down multiple times it takes a while to catch up. If you hold and let go of down, it reels as you would expect. But even with one key press down you can see some lag so that maybe dispels that idea. I don't even believe it's about images because even the settings menu has lag and there are no images there. Maybe I'm repeating myself with some of this but I'll show it all in clips. Do any other Theatre users get this?

I think the other modes are faster, yes but I never want to view Emby this way cause it's too small and doesn't look the same. Maybe I should have said at the start this was in TV mode/auto.

ReadySalted

First I use the web app and then Theatre. I know I'm really close to the screen but that's just to show the key presses. I forgot to show the settings screen which is also a bit painful to navigate.

Note there's no video being played anywhere or anything else going on.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FUldY8-IOmEx7ojX558KZAy-gj1ty5Kr/view?usp=sharing

That to me looks pretty fast in Theater considering it has to load everything as it goes.

With the web browser it can pull existing images from the cache and these don't need to be requested from the server.
We pre-generated your posters yesterday by scrolling up and down the libs but if we hadn't done that then in a web browser you could scroll the posters even when empty and then when you stop it catches up where you are.

Just the nature of different technologies and ways things are done.

PS I'm not saying this can't be improved but it doesn't look bad at all to me in that TV mode vs desktop with large posters.

ReadySalted

Tried 59Hz, no change.

I also tried 1080p a while back and no change but... I tried it again now and the first thing I noticed was that 1080p 60Hz brought back those nice animations and guess what, it's really fast.

generiq
1 minute ago, readysalted said:

Tried 59Hz, no change.

I also tried 1080p a while back and no change but... I tried it again now and the first thing I noticed was that 1080p 60Hz brought back those nice animations and guess what, it's really fast.

It looks like it's just refresh rate deal and how your hardware in tandem with electron, deals with interpolation. Just like when playing video, the UI animation has to be matched to the display/GPU refresh rate. If not matched perfectly, you get 'judder'. For the UI, electron is what has generates the frames. Out of curiosity, try full resolution at 29Hz.

• Like 1

generiq
10 minutes ago, readysalted said:

Got judder with 29Hz

Did the animation work?

@Lukewill theater work with the later versions of electron? V12, v13, v14, v15

ReadySalted
1 minute ago, generiq said:

Did the animation work?

@Lukewill theater work with the later versions of electron? V12, v13, v14, v15

No animation for 3840x2160 @ 29Hz

generiq

I think electron isn't using hardware acceleration, and is relying on your CPU, and it's struggling a little. Which would be why it's smooth at lower resolutions. And/Or, because you have two GPUs, it's getting confused what to use. If you aren't using the iGPU, check to see if it's disabled in the BIOS. You could also try version 12 of electron. 

generiq

Assuming that didn't help, there's not much more I can offer. How the software performs, is in the hands of the developers.

ReadySalted

Today I loaded up Theatre and there was no images anywhere - did the devs do this? but even with no images it doesn't speed anything up. I suspected it wasn't about images

ReadySalted

Not sure why that happened, I didn't do anything. Anyway, another reinstall fixed that.

Do you have any more ideas about what causes the slowdown? When you let go of down, it scrolls faster than if you held it so I don't think it's about caching.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:10 PM, Luke said:

What if you scroll with the mouse wheel, how does that compare?

9 hours ago, readysalted said:

I showed that in the video, or tried to. It doesn't move nearly as far

But that's not the question. If you continuously scroll with the mouse wheel, is it smooth?