Sluggish UI

ReadySalted

aaronsomek
4 hours ago, readysalted said:

I wasn't sure how to make a video that shows the timing of my presses vs what happens on the screen so I did what was saying before, to press right 5 times with the keyboard, down 1, left 5 times, down 1. And eventually I hold down to get to the bottom of the list. You can see it's having trouble keeping up with what I'm doing. Does this look normal?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DDpHyco10HQT8wNH3zr7shUQvG-WlJ1b/view?usp=sharing

The browser UI is definitely zippier than the Theatre program, but your UI looks choppy as hell, something I wouldn't expect given your system specs.

• Like 1

I'm seeing somewhat high times for generating images which may be due to using the coverart plugin.

As a test could you remove the Coverart plugin and test again.  Keep in mind the first time you access any image it has to be rebuilt so you may want to scroll though things the first time to force generate the images.  Then after doing that try normal navigation and see if things are faster.

14 hours ago, aaronsomek said:

The browser UI is definitely zippier than the Theatre program, but your UI looks choppy as hell, something I wouldn't expect given your system specs.

Yea that doesn't look right. Does it help if you use the dark theme instead?

Also check the display options in the app. Is Enable Backdrops checked? Try unchecking that if it is.

ReadySalted
3 hours ago, cayars said:

I'm seeing somewhat high times for generating images which may be due to using the coverart plugin.

As a test could you remove the Coverart plugin and test again.  Keep in mind the first time you access any image it has to be rebuilt so you may want to scroll though things the first time to force generate the images.  Then after doing that try normal navigation and see if things are faster.

CoverArt was uninstalled at the time of the video and then I reinstalled it when I thought this was responsible for the way things look now (the green highlighted rectangle). Sorry about that. So the last log will show it. Though I have wondered if it was truly uninstalled(?) My covers still have rounded corners and I can't find the option for this anywhere now. So I'm wondering if CoverArt did it?

I've also tried different themes. Enable backgrounds is unchecked. Though I do have fanart in each folder which gets displayed when a movie is selected. I'm not sure what that option actually does. I might expect it to show fanart on the movie list but it doesn't.

And to note, I can play 4K HDR videos with no dropped frames using Emby + MPC-BE and madVR.

Do you know how to get to the Emby config folder where files like system.xml reside?

If so we can give you a couple of optimizations you could try that would boost database response a bit.

ReadySalted
2 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you know how to get to the Emby config folder where files like system.xml reside?

If so we can give you a couple of optimizations you could try that would boost database response a bit.

Ok, sure. I know how to get there. Thank you.

OK shutdown Emby and edit the system.xml file (make a copy of it first, just in case).

Change the these options to what I have below:

<VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>true</VacuumDatabaseOnStartup>
<DatabaseCacheSizeMB>512</DatabaseCacheSizeMB>
<EnableSqLiteMmio>true</EnableSqLiteMmio>

Save the file and then restart Emby.  It will reoptimize the database on restart so the first time you start Emby after making this change it will take longer to start so don't be alarmed.  That's the Vacuum option.  Emby will set this option back to false on it's own.

Let us know if you see a difference after making these changes.

ReadySalted

Sadly no change. Tried these a few times just to make sure with the CoverArt plugin uninstalled. The database file reverted back to false like you said but it didn't take any longer to start than normal.

I didn't expect that to help. Are your graphics drivers on the theater machine up to date? I would check that as well as all hardware and windows updates.

generiq
7 hours ago, readysalted said:

And to note, I can play 4K HDR videos with no dropped frames using Emby + MPC-BE and madVR.

This is indicative of something else.

So let's back up. Are you saying that the UI and video playback are suffering from the same issue? If yes, that suggests a conflict between electron and probably your GPU and/or driver.

We need to start over.

Let's begin with whatever issue you have with dropping fames. Please elaborate.

generiq

You could try using a later version of electron. The version that Theater is currently using is 11.3.0 but you could try replacing it with 11.4.10, which is what I use.

Download from here, and unzip to this location;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron

Restart Theater.

ReadySalted
8 hours ago, Luke said:

I didn't expect that to help. Are your graphics drivers on the theater machine up to date? I would check that as well as all hardware and windows updates.

The NVIDIA drivers are up to date but I found that my Windows updates are about 4 months behind. Not sure why they stopped. I must have installed or did something and now the update service is borked. Seems really difficult to fix, actually.

5 hours ago, generiq said:

This is indicative of something else.

So let's back up. Are you saying that the UI and video playback are suffering from the same issue? If yes, that suggests a conflict between electron and probably your GPU and/or driver.

We need to start over.

Let's begin with whatever issue you have with dropping fames. Please elaborate.

No, I mean that I'm capable of playing demanding videos without problems so I'm trying to indicate my hardware is ok.

5 hours ago, generiq said:

You could try using a later version of electron. The version that Theater is currently using is 11.3.0 but you could try replacing it with 11.4.10, which is what I use.

Download from here, and unzip to this location;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\electron

Restart Theater.

Sadly no effect. But thanks all the same.

generiq
6 hours ago, readysalted said:

No, I mean that I'm capable of playing demanding videos without problems so I'm trying to indicate my hardware is ok.

Yes, I understand what your intention was, but comparing one piece of software to another doesn't help. MadVR is just a renderer that is used internally by other software. With Theater, it's more like two softwares, one on top of the other. So we need to investigate what's happening with Theater.

You shouldn't use windows updates for the Nvidia drivers. They are usually several versions behind. Try the latest driver from the Nvidia site.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

• Agree 1

Yes, couldn't agree more with this last statement.  Download and install Nvidia drivers directly from the nvidia website if at all possible!

You could try going into the install folder, locating main.js, and around line 727, change this from:

app.commandLine.appendSwitch("ignore-gpu-blacklist");

to 

//app.commandLine.appendSwitch("ignore-gpu-blacklist");

ReadySalted

Seems the same but I want to say if I haven't already (and this may be a clue), that moving up in the list is fluid. It's not being restricted by anything. It's just moving downwards that seems to be where the problem resides.

generiq

I'm thinking that whatever is causing the UI to behave this way, is also related to why video playback is dropping frames. 

generiq
21 minutes ago, readysalted said:

There's no dropped frames.

I'm confused. Why mention this...?

On 7/26/2021 at 1:02 PM, readysalted said:

generiq
7 minutes ago, readysalted said:

As I said, I don't have any hardware problems

That's not related. I tried to explain that. 

So, to clarify, playing any video in Theater, plays without issue?