Lost me at Premium

mhariush

chiller77

Plex doesn’t charge for anything except live tv/dvr, trailers, and adding non tv based devices. Plex does not charge for artwork. Also, with Plex, you don’t need the databases because you can make your own, also free. Emby is charging for artwork. The artwork comes from various free databases on the internet. If Emby wasn’t doing that, I would have never posted on this site. They could at least allow your own artwork or leave a valid link for a free version instead of saying there is a free version and adding a dead link.

The point is Emby charging for something that has nothing to do with them or their website. It’s like going to a gas station and them charging you for the air you breathe while you are in the store.

The gas stations do charge for air, and water, even though technically you can just ask them to provide it for free. You can use the web client free on your android device. Why are you using the apps which require premium? It seems like you are setting youself up for fail rather than success. If you want truly free, use the free apps and clients. Its a simple choice. Why is this so difficult?

Have you misunderstood something? Where do you think we are charging for artwork? We do not charge for that.

Maybe you saw an advertisement for the Cover Art plugin and you mistook that as charging for artwork? Is that possible? We probably need to give the plugin a new name, but what it actually does is take the artwork you already have and give you options to add various graphical effects and overlays to the images.

Have you misunderstood something? Where do you think we are charging for artwork? We do not charge for that.

Its the "Cover art treatmeant" being misunderstood as a provider of images. Thats where the confusion lies. The fellow doesn't understand that the images already exist and cover art is just adding overlays to these already existing images which are obtained for free. Maybe this post will elucidate the situation.

chiller77

That would be the case. I did misunderstand. I would agree that the cover art app may need more of an explanation or a better name, however aside from that, my inability to comprehend what comes free and what is paid for is my fault. I didn’t see what comes with the free version. I was unable to locate the page that describes what is available with the free version. A lot of sites do a side-by-side. Maybe I should have done more research before jumping to conclusions. My apologies

chiller77

If I run Emby on Kodi, is that $5/month? How do I run the Emby server and stream it to my tv devices? I don’t understand the theater version or where to get it. All I know is; I get a pop up saying my free trial will expire February 11.

Jdiesel

@@chiller77

Have a look here and see if this helps answer some of your questions about free/versus paid features. It isn't ideal but it helps a bit.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby-Premiere-Feature-Matrix 

Edit: Just noticed the Kodi apps aren't included. All Kodi apps are free and offer unrestricted playback

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. New user and think this software is absolutely outstanding!!

When I tried to resume an episode on the desktop application portion of Emby, I got slapped in the face with the paywall. Which irritated me. So, I went to google to find a hive mind that shared my frustrations at being asked to pay for something that ( more or less ) windows/VLC did already for nothing. But, after reading this, I am going to happily pay.

If any of us stop to think about it. What are we outraged at? What is a lifetime membership actually doing for the developers? It buys them about 3 bags of groceries. Not a yacht or a new house or a single visit to the Dr. My family will spend hundreds, if not thousands of hours using this application throughout its life cycle. Surely I can sacrifice a couple of the many many many physical/tangible items I will throw 119$ away on this year alone. Seriously. Take a second to think about how willingly you give best buy or walmart or wherever else you buy things, your money for crap you wont use even a fraction of how often you will use this.

Thank you developers for making this. You have far more than earned 119$.

• Like 6

Just a couple more clarifications for readers:

1) Plex charges for things we give away for free.  A couple notable ones are "early access" (a disguised beta program) and parental controls.

2) We do not gather data from IMDb and they are NOT a free source of data

3) We contribute on a monthly basis to the free data products that we do utilize

4) We have to remain competitive with other products on features so we have many that may look like them.  However 0% of our code came from Plex (we are implemented in a completely different technology) and, as mentioned above, it is not BS, we have pioneered several features that they have then copied (or at least implemented after we did).

• Like 4

If I may. IMO there is simply no need for the developers to justify the cost of this. It is absolutely a reasonably priced product that has had and hopefully will continue to have a long life. The developers are clearly engaged with the community ( given the level of interaction in the forums alone ). We are supporting a group of people and their families. It has been explained more than once that this is their job. I don't work at my job for free or give away my time and it is crazy to expect this team to do any differently. 

For me personally. I can either support a large company like Plex or buy these guys some groceries and bring competition into the marketplace by supporting this team. 

• Like 1

overClocked!

3) We contribute on a monthly basis to the free data products that we do utilize

I think this is important to emphasize because a lot of people do not realize this.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

It is a blinding bit of software but it’s certainly not worth £100. For all intents and purposes it is just a web viewer with media playback. Fairly simple html 5. What it is, is a fancy wrapper that saves you from having to interact with your pc directly.

People need to stop comparing Emby to plex, they both do similar things, they both have problems, they both feed off others ideas. This is just the way it is in the software market. Things like Luke mentioned about changing the name on cover art, Christ if it’s a name change then why is it still on the to do list? It’s a 5 minute job.

I have zero issues with Emby, it’s a developing software that is constantly evolving and improving. What I have issue with is paying a ‘supporter’ fee to be a beta tester and then to be treated like a fool when I bring up issues. I’ve been using Emby/media browser for years off and on but I have a real issue with the cost. Normally if you pay towards software to be a paid member then you get additional parts of the software unlocked that free users don’t get but other than the apps in the server adding catalog (that have been created by non Emby staff) there doesn’t seem to be much in it. What really pisses me off though is the need for callback to Emby servers. If my internet is down then Emby throws a tantrum and won’t let me play locally

What really pisses me off though is the need for callback to Emby servers. If my internet is down then Emby throws a tantrum and won’t let me play locally

I have to agree. This is infuriating and needless overhead.

• Like 1

If my internet is down then Emby throws a tantrum and won’t let me play locally

Only if it is down for over a week and you are trying to utilize Premiere features.  If it is giving you problems in other scenarios, please create a post in the server forum.

I have to agree. This is infuriating and needless overhead.

See above but I'm afraid it is necessary for us to survive.

Thanks for your support.

I hate posting on necro’d threads but I really feel like we are getting a lot of posts from people who are unhappy with the product possibly because of a misunderstanding of how it works or because they want it to work like the competition. Here I use Emby at home, but I support many people that use Plex in their homes.

I started with XBMC/Kodi many years ago. Our only complaint with it occurred when our family grew and we bought a house and had more than 1 viewing device. Specifically, there was the lack of a centralized media DB to that system. So watched shows and movies were not dynamically updated on other playback systems. I tested with Plex and Emby almost 3 years ago. I was not paying for any of their respective premium services at the time as I only wanted a method to centralize my media. At the time Plex didn’t have a Kodi plugin and Emby did. All my TVs have HTPCs so I tested Emby connectivity in Kodi and Plex in browser.

Later, I wanted more feature sets (ex: automated backups and mobile access from smart devices) and began paying for the premium services for each for a few months to test. These services in Emby were tied to premium subscription. I also picked up a sub from Plex.

I added access for my family and they seemed to favor the Emby app. At the end of testing we all seemed to favor Emby. I then moved to paying annually for Emby only for another year. I cancelled my Plex sub and spun down the service. My only complaint at that time with Emby was the lack of a publicly trusted SSL cert on my public edge device for the Emby Server instance. I also didn’t really want to use a cloud hosted remote access gateway. I improved my system to provide the level of security I needed and grant access the way I needed. Once I knew I was happy with the configuration I picked up the lifetime subscription.

Now we have moved back to cable TV (at my wife’s request), and added DVR functionality. I have my own scripts built to chop commercials automatically out of recordings. My family is able to watch all our media without trouble from anywhere. I have the same server I bought back in 2010 hosting Emby server. I don’t have to pay Comcast whatever their monthly service charge is for their DVR receiver. I can manually handle streaming bitrate well enough that the experience for all my family is pleasant.

For me the subscription is more than worth it, considering th at my family gets to watch our content in the home and away, on our TVs, in browsers, or on our smart devices.

That said I have never found a piece of hardware, software, or service that was perfect. In my personal view perfection is something one can strive for but is unattainable. I have found the Emby team and community at large to be responsive and helpful, and over the last few years I have used it I have found that the software itself is continually improving and advancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

infinitereality

Kinda feel the need to post on this. A decade ago I discovered WMC and thought it was so cool, just loved it. I came across MediaBrowser, I think, in fall of 2009 when I was off from work for 6 weeks due to cervical fusion and was bored majority of the time so had time to learn and get my stuff setup exactly how I wanted with metadata and such. That's when I realized how crappy WMC was in comparison and have been using MB/Emby ever since. I purchased plug-ins, themes and show my support for premier over the years. I'd love to know how many hours I have logged solely using it, it'd blow my mind. It was so cool back then and with every update or version it got better and better. It was mainly due to Emby as to why I built a movie room in my house when we built 3yrs ago. Honestly can't imagine life without Emby. I've only recently updated my HTPC hardware to Windows 10 and Emby Theater (due to support of dev and forum members) stuff just keeps getting better and better.

I've asked questions on the forum over the years and ALWAYS got answers from members and developers of it. I'm a lifetime premier subscriber, honestly don't know when I actually bought it, but it was one of the best investments I've ever made and had paid for itself many of times over....even to the point I feel like I didn't pay enough. Heck if they did a major over haul again or jumped versions or wanted extra for Theater (it rocks compared to Emby for WMC, I didn't know how much stuff I was missing till this weekend), I'd be first in line to support these guys. It's just THAT GOOD. Keep up the awesome work and thanks for everything!

Edited by infinitereality
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Emby is excellent, and keeps furthering that excellence. The amount it costs for premiere, is trifling, It's amazing that discussion, arises. What we pay for hardware, is far more. Show some gratitude for what they provide. There are a quite a few community members that try to help others, when they have questions. I bought the T-shirt to show support :)

The shirts are nice, btw

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-390-show-your-emby-pride-with-these-awesome-new-t-shirts/

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

infinitereality

Emby is excellent, and keeps furthering that excellence. The amount it costs for premiere, is trifling, It's amazing that discussion, arises. What we pay for hardware, is far more. Show some gratitude for what they provide. There are a quite a few community members that try to help others, when they have questions. I bought the T-shirt to show support :)

The shirts are nice, btw

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-390-show-your-emby-pride-with-these-awesome-new-t-shirts/

Didn't know about these, definitely fixing to purchase one right now. Thanks for the heads up!

• 3 months later...
Coops1

If you bought Cover Art then you already have Premiere. Note that I'm referring to Cover Art in Media Browser 3/Emby.

This is awesome but what happens if my key isn't working?

This is awesome but what happens if my key isn't working?

Hi, can you describe what exactly you mean by "isn't working"? Thanks !

b0dyr0ck2006

Only if it is down for over a week and you are trying to utilize Premiere features. If it is giving you problems in other scenarios, please create a post in the server forum.

See above but I'm afraid it is necessary for us to survive.

Thanks for your support.

You mean this is to stop people using Emby without paying for it, for example paying a one off monthly fee then disconnecting from the internet. I would rather buy the (premium) software, download it and be free to use it without being tracked by your servers. You won’t even tell us what data you are pulling and why you need to pull this data. The free version is just that and is available to all but the paid version should be pay before you download, thanks for your money and we hope you enjoy using our software. You know, like every other software manufacturer in the world

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro