Vox Commando and Mediabrowser

lja

Let's do this.  B) 

VoxCommando version 2.1.3.8 with a new Media Browser plugin is here!

More details here:

If you are already using VoxCommando with another configuration, I recommend you start with a clean install in a new folder and install the default MB3 configuration.  After that you can consider combining old commands with new ones.  There is already a video tutorial covering this topic.

For those who pledged support for the development of this plugin, you can honour your pledge by making a donation at the following page: http://voxcommando.com/home/purchase/#44821222be7f95bd4

I just sent the MB Team matching pledge to you.  Thanks for your work on this.

• Like 1

AgileHumor

Great Job JitterJames!!!!!  :D

Movie and TV browsing is working really well.   Controlling DLNA devices is pretty sweet (I have one in each room of house).

Couple notes or anomolies after first run through:

1. Music not working as I would expect.
    • Browse Artist in Movies tries to bring you to that Artist under Movies (nothing listed).  It recoginizes the artist from the XML so that is working...just browse doesn't work. 
    • Browse Artist in Music tries to bring you to that Artist under Music...but still nothing listed.
  2. Doesn't work with Media Browser Plus interface I use in Media Browser Classic. More info on the original thread with @@ebr here  Kinda was expecting this.
  3. When focusing on MediaBrowser Classic, doesn't seamlessly switch back and forth between WMC and MBC for control (don't know best way for that).   This really isn't a issue with your work here...just all the other plugins you have besides media center.
  4. How can I have it detect if MBC is not running when giving a MB command to Vox....this way if it is not loaded, Vox can start it before browsing movies (assuming Vox and MBC on same PC)?

Overall, great work!  I might be dreaming at this point (on all but music)

Edited by AgileHumor

jitterjames

Great Job JitterJames!!!!!  :D

Movie and TV browsing is working really well.   Controlling DLNA devices is pretty sweet (I have one in each room of house).

Couple notes or anomolies after first run through:

1. Music not working as I would expect.
    • Browse Artist in Movies tries to bring you to that Artist under Movies (nothing listed).  It recoginizes the artist from the XML so that is working...just browse doesn't work. 
    • Browse Artist in Music tries to bring you to that Artist under Music...but still nothing listed.

Overall, great work!  I might be dreaming at this point (on all but music)

Thanks.

I was really not expecting to hear this.  The "Browse artist X" command is the one thing that I have never had any problem with and it works on all sorts of clients for me.  I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this at this point, except that I have installed MB Plus in case it is related somehow.  We are sending an artist ID to the server and it should be passing that on to the client which should show the artist.  It should not matter where you are when you give the command.  If you are browsing Movies, TV, or Music, Photos, it does not matter.

Are you testing with a clean install using just the default configuration we have provided or have you already started to combine command from your other configurations?

What about "play artist X"?  This is using the same ID as browse artist so in theory they should either both work or neither of them should work.

reluctantflux

If I plan to use VoxCommando exclusively with MBS on Kodi, does it make more sense to setup with MBS plugin and Kodi (for live tv and add-ons), or set it up just with Kodi?  In other words, if I set it up with Kodi, will it recognize the MBS library from that perspective, or does it need direct access to the MBS?  Or does doing it one of those ways provide more functionality or reliability?

Thanks! I'm very excited to get this setup this weekend!

jitterjames

Jitterjames,

Just read your thread on USBUirt... How well does it play with VoxCommando??

This might be a bit off topic and better discussed on the VC forum since it does not directly relate to MediaBrowser

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.0

I don't mind talking about it here but I don't want to contribute to making a mess of the MB forums.  If the mods here want to create board for VC where we can discuss other VC related topics that's OK with me, but this thread will get very long very fast if we talk about anything and everything related to VoxCommando here.

jitterjames

If I plan to use VoxCommando exclusively with MBS on Kodi, does it make more sense to setup with MBS plugin and Kodi (for live tv and add-ons), or set it up just with Kodi?  In other words, if I set it up with Kodi, will it recognize the MBS library from that perspective, or does it need direct access to the MBS?  Or does doing it one of those ways provide more functionality or reliability?

Thanks! I'm very excited to get this setup this weekend!

If you VoxCommando's Kodi config it will not allow you to control your MB content.  Kodi itself does not know anything about your MB content.  In order to control any MB client you need to talk to the client through the MB server and that means using our MB3 plugin and configuration for VoxCommando.

Are you referring to the MB plugin for KODI or to using MBS as a DLNA server in KODI?

If it is the latter I am not at all familiar with this yet.  The rest of my response is assuming that you are NOT talking about DLNA.

So far I have not found the XBMC/KODI plugin client to be very adept at accepting control from other clients through the MB server.  This was my personal experience a few weeks ago when I tested it.  Since I was concentrating on development I stuck with the clients that seemed to be working as closely as possible to the way they were supposed to with the MB API and I found those to be the web dashboard, MBC and MB Theater.

Even if the MB plugin on KODI can be controlled effectively through the MB server we will need to develop a "hybrid" configuration that allows for balanced control of both KODI (directly) and MB content on KODI (via the MB server).

A similar challenge will face us when using both MB Classic and other features of WMC outside of MB Classic.

I encourage users to experiment but for the moment I can only offer support for the basic MB3 configuration and plugin.  I think it is early days yet and we need to get the basics nailed down first.

I will take another look at how well we can control MB within KODI and I encourage you to do the same before branching out.

• Like 1

reluctantflux

Thanks for the thorough response! 

Basically, I'm using the Kodi add-on XBMCM3 to attach my MBS library to Kodi.  My guess is that I will need to set up both the VoxCommando Kodi and MBS plugins, as you mentioned in a hybrid scenario.  But I wanted to post to find out if there was a recommended way of setting it up.  Since it's all development waters, I'll just dive right in and post my findings.  

Macburp

Hello. Trying to install now, downloaded v2.1.3.8 from the website and ran the exe. I can find no reference anywhere to an MB3 configuration in the 'Standard - Sapi 5' list. I have a client open. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

reluctantflux

Go to File-> Apply Standard Configuration -> English-> MediaBrowser (MB3).zip

Just tested and works over WAN to my phone (using commands from interface, not actual voice).  Soooooo cool. :wub:

post-8787-0-82339800-1423067829_thumb.png

jitterjames

Just doing a quick test now 

Hello. Trying to install now, downloaded v2.1.3.8 from the website and ran the exe. I can find no reference anywhere to an MB3 configuration in the 'Standard - Sapi 5' list. I have a client open. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Please watch the tutorial first. Since you have never used VoxCommando there will be a few things to learn.  After you click Sapi 5 (as shown in the tutorial), you will be presented with a list of configurations.

jitterjames

I'm just testing the MB Kodi client now and it seems that almost nothing works except for playing items.  So all the browse to X commands don't work, but you can play a movie, play an artist or album etc.  I don't know if any of this will be supported by the plugin in the future.  You'll need to ask the client/plugin creator about that.

We can add control of the Kodi interface directly using our xJson plugin and just copy over the required commands from our Kodi config so we can control volume, play/pause, move, scrolling etc, but I don't think it will be possible to browse to items with a voice command until the MB plugin for Kodi supports it.  I've seen a similar experience with the Android client, but the Android app is not really stable on my Acer tablet so it's hard to test.

We will be updating the table with more information about what is supported on each client and posting a public document on Google Drive so we can keep it up to date.

Hopefully if enough people are using VC with MB, those clients can be beefed up a bit to support more of the core MB ApiClient features.

Edited by jitterjames

wraslor

One issue I noticed is if I'm playing music and give Vox commands such as browse movies it does it behind the music player. Eg I said browse movies and nothing happened but when I manually click the back arrow it was in my movies directory. Anything I can do to help diagnos this?

jitterjames

One issue I noticed is if I'm playing music and give Vox commands such as browse movies it does it behind the music player. Eg I said browse movies and nothing happened but when I manually click the back arrow it was in my movies directory. Anything I can do to help diagnos this?

That's a question for the MBC/WMC team.  The only way to "fix" it now would be to add a stop playback action in all your browse command macros.

That's a question for the MBC/WMC team.  The only way to "fix" it now would be to add a stop playback action in all your browse command macros.

If you are in the WMC music interface a "back" operation will take you back to MBC and keep the music playing.

jitterjames

If you are in the WMC music interface a "back" operation will take you back to MBC and keep the music playing.

Except that when music starts playing the back action via the api does not work.  I found that the only way to get out via the api was to use stop.

Except that when music starts playing the back action via the api does not work.  I found that the only way to get out via the api was to use stop.

Yeah, if you are sending a "Back" to MB then that isn't going to work (actually, it probably does but the user won't see it).  When music is playing, we are in the native WMC music player, not MB.  So, this could be tricky, but if you can discover this, and sent the back command to WMC or, just always send the back command directly to WMC, then it should work.

I posted this question on the Vox forums, maybe someone will find this info useful.  Response from jitterjames below.

Now that Vox supports MB3, will I be able to use WMC in conjuction with MB3 voice commands ? Will there be a conflict ?
I am running WMC with the Media Brower 3 WMC plugin ( running from MB3 server ) and i would like to voice control both WMC and the MB3 plugin.

from jitterjames

I don't think "conflict" is the right word.  It should be possible to create a configuration of commands that will work well for both.  I suggest you start by creating a new install (in a new empty folder) just for testing the default MB3 configuration that we provide by itself.  There may be some command overlap such as navigation, play/pause, volume etc. In that case it obviously makes more sense to keep those WMC commands (and remove the corresponding MB3 commands) since the WMC commands should (in theory) work everywhere, while the MB3 commands would only work when MBC is active.

It is still early days and we're trying to get the core API client stuff sorted out first and there are a ton of MB clients so if you want a mixed configuration you are essentially on your own for now.

jitterjames

I'm a bit confused though.  I thought the whole point of MB Classic was to make WMC not suck as much.  So what do you need to do in WMC that you can't do in MB Classic?

In general I think that trying to automate clients that run inside of other programs like WMC and Kodi is always going to result in a bit of a "chewing gum and spit" solution.  Yes we can try to work around the issues to some extent by creating custom configurations but I doubt it will ever be bullet proof.  Your best bet is going to be in a self contained client like MB Theater, or in the case of MBC if you can work primarily within the client.  Even then I can see that the client is already limited in what it is allowed to do by WMC.  It is not even possible in WMC to actually control some simple UI functions directly.  Many of them have to be hacked using keyboard emulation and other fragile techniques.

Macburp

Go to File-> Apply Standard Configuration -> English-> MediaBrowser (MB3).zip

Just tested and works over WAN to my phone (using commands from interface, not actual voice).  Soooooo cool. :wub:

Thanks. Tried it and the Mediabrowser config doesn't show in the list -

54d27b03e18c9_vox.jpg

Not sure what to do next.