Vox Commando and Mediabrowser

lja

Yeah, face recognition is super extensive on the CPU. The microphone array would work best in Vox commando if you apply the setting from the Microsoft.Kinect sdk libraries, simply because there are some interesting noise cancelation and microphone array directional option that Are kind of cool.

Music control is possible, however it is a microphone array which pretty much sits directly between your left and right front speakers and usually above your middle surround sound. Once you start a song even at medium volume, it is hard to pin point the user making commands afterwards (oh Amulet Remote you truly are the best of inventions, with your sleek and shiny red blinking light).

I think that media control and speech recognition has definitely made ground in the last couple years, but unfortunately a microphone array in the middle of a room, whilst watching a "HD DTS Audio movie" is just asking for disaster (better have a remote control on hand at all times!).

I also agree that waving my arms around to get gestures is just silly, as I am old as well, however I have been able to add interactions which is simply a closed and open hand.

But I will continue to apply ideas until it works.

@@Redshirt

Vox commando android to control my media browser with voice, might even make me reconsider an open air situation.

Edited by chef

Hi jitter!

I could try and explain what spaceboys intentions were. Please @@Spaceboy correct me if I am wrong about this.

Currently there has be some struggle with the kinect app.

Just a quick back ground:

Speech rec. is built in the "System.Speech" namespace not the "Mircosoft.Speech" namespace, because the latter will not allow enough command (grammars) to be added into the speech recognizer. Microsoft.Speech stops adding choices and grammars at about 300, which is hardly enough for some of the members large media libraries.

System.speech can load all the grammars/choices for proper browsing.

However, this means that the recognizer has to be trained. Yeah! The long and annoying speech training sessions.

Also, I only recently allowed for the recognizer to load different culture tokens. It was only until recently that people with accents took interest in the project, so "en-US" was always loaded.

Although this has been fix recently, it is still pretty new.

I use to write for the Amulet Remote control, but everyone and their kid has a kinect sensor, so it seemed only reasonable to make a switch.

This also meant a huge learning curve in programming, after all it is a microphone array and not a remote two inches from my mouth.

In order to over come these obstacles certain measures have been taken to stop Mis recognitions. Unfortunately this does complicate the App slightly (you have to request its customizable name - then ask it to listen before you give any browsing commands).

Some good ideas have been added too though, for instance, we load and unload grammars based in library names. Example: if you are browsing "movies" only the library items returned from the query and their IDs exists in the recognizer, along with the other library names.

If you change libraries, then all the item choices are removed and the new library items are added.

It gets quite complicated when you drill down into seasons of tv series and episodes, because you want to allow to switch seasons, but also episodes in the current season, and also change series, but also allow for library changes. Don't even get me started on all the playback commands you want to add at this point.

At this point the kinect app does get complicated.

And it doesn't even turn on the cameras after it loads, this is just speech recognition stuff.

But we plug along, and attempt to build a better program. It has been a long time, and it is just recently started to work for a small group of people.

I do Mis using my Amulet Remote though, I love my Amulet Remote and yes even my copy of Vox commando is still suiting in my Programs list, I am actually a long time fan James ;)

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
AgileHumor

Music control is possible, however it is a microphone array which pretty much sits directly between your left and right front speakers and usually above your middle surround sound. Once you start a song even at medium volume, it is hard to pin point the user making commands afterwards (oh Amulet Remote you truly are the best of inventions, with your sleek and shiny red blinking light).

I think that media control and speech recognition has definitely made ground in the last couple years, but unfortunately a microphone array in the middle of a room, whilst watching a "HD DTS Audio movie" is just asking for disaster (better have a remote control on hand at all times!).

My Aucustic Magic open air microphone has a line in from the sound system to tune that sound channel out. 

Also, want to echo the Amulet remote control is awesome as you mentioned and I have my best success with this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
jitterjames
We are almost there!  Thanks to everyone who pledged and to all for your patience.

Here is a pre-release demo of VoxCommando's new plugin for MediaBrowser which will be available in all versions of VoxCommando starting with version 2.1.3.7

Attached is a pdf summary of what seems to work correctly with which MB3 clients.

The next version of VoxCommando that we release will include the plugin and the English configuration for MediaBrowser.  At that time we will also create a short installation video and Wiki guide.

54ceaaf60fe85_vcmb3.png

MB3-client-comparison.pdf

• Like 5

jitterjames

I'm happy, but not as much as @wraslor 

:lol:

I will post back here when the next release comes out.  Should be this week.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Oh wow. Am I too late to the party? I will throw in $5 but it looks like it's already in developement?

I have never heard of this program before now and I am going now to download and try it out!

-Jason

jitterjames

Save your money for a VC license in case you like it, but the version with MB3 support has not been released yet so you might want to wait for a couple of days. :)

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Save your money for a VC license in case you like it, but the version with MB3 support has not been released yet so you might want to wait for a couple of days. :)

Thanks for your quick response! I have just now downloaded and started playing around with the current version. I am liking it so far. I look forward to your next version with MB support!

-Jason

jitterjames
Let's do this.  B) 

VoxCommando version 2.1.3.8 with a new Media Browser plugin is here!

More details here:

If you are already using VoxCommando with another configuration, I recommend you start with a clean install in a new folder and install the default MB3 configuration.  After that you can consider combining old commands with new ones.  There is already a video tutorial covering this topic.

For those who pledged support for the development of this plugin, you can honour your pledge by making a donation at the following page: http://voxcommando.com/home/purchase/#44821222be7f95bd4

• Like 1

jitterjames

If you downloaded the 2.1.3.8 installer before 4:00 pm EST be advised that it contained version 2.1.3.7 of the main VoxCommando.exe

This won't really affect MediaBrowser.  Just some minor updates in the core program.

It is fixed now.

wraslor

Let's do this.  B) 

VoxCommando version 2.1.3.8 with a new Media Browser plugin is here!

More details here:

If you are already using VoxCommando with another configuration, I recommend you start with a clean install in a new folder and install the default MB3 configuration.  After that you can consider combining old commands with new ones.  There is already a video tutorial covering this topic.

For those who pledged support for the development of this plugin, you can honour your pledge by making a donation at the following page: http://voxcommando.com/home/purchase/#44821222be7f95bd4

You had to release it when I got to work ahhhh!!!! lol

wraslor

Heck with that it's already out and I'm using team viewer! muahahah... 

Serious question though, I use MB classic with mpc-hc as an external player.  Will vox be able to see that mpc-hc has launched and play, pause, close, etc?

jitterjames

I have no idea!  That's probably more of a question for ebr I think, but you'll find out soon enough.

Edited by jitterjames

Heck with that it's already out and I'm using team viewer! muahahah... 

Serious question though, I use MB classic with mpc-hc as an external player.  Will vox be able to see that mpc-hc has launched and play, pause, close, etc?

The external player is solely MBC's responsibility. Vox speaks the language of a media controller - play, pause, stop, etc. How those functions are accomplished is in the hands of the app receiving the instruction. So it does not effect external players one way or another.

saajan4u

just made a pledge.. I'm in..

really hope this can work with mbc and mbt very soon.. cant believe I bought a Kinect sensor for no reason.. never got it working !

jitterjames

just made a pledge.. I'm in..

really hope this can work with mbc and mbt very soon.. cant believe I bought a Kinect sensor for no reason.. never got it working !

It works with Dashboard, MB Theater, and MB Classic.  Different clients work better for different things right now.  All of them pretty much can browse to or play an item though.  But with MB Classic for example you can do things like move and scroll which you can't really do with the web dashboard.

I've tried to voice control MB on Kodi and Android and had some success but it's not too impressive compared to the other clients at the moment.

The good news is that you should still be able to use your Kinect with VoxCommando.  It is supported both as a regular microphone, and (somewhat experimentally) as a streaming array microphone with echo cancellation: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Kinect_audio

My personal preference is still an Amulet remote, or VoxWav or a good wireless headset.

Edited by jitterjames

jitterjames

The external player is solely MBC's responsibility. Vox speaks the language of a media controller - play, pause, stop, etc. How those functions are accomplished is in the hands of the app receiving the instruction. So it does not effect external players one way or another.

Hopefully it will work using the following command chain (automatically)

VC >> MBServer >> MBClassic >> MPC-HC

...but if not you can control MPC-HC directly from VC.  It will just require a bit more effort to set it up.