Theme music too quiet?

crusher11

CBers
18 hours ago, vdatanet said:

There's a new setting "Theme Volume" that may help you. BTW % symbol is shown twice in the volume picker (10 %%) I don't know if it's a localization issue.

So @ebr, how does this work then?

Is it a % of the volume that the device is giving out, or does it normalise the volume level? My Shields are fixed volume and pass through to the TV for volume control.

If you have the themes playing at a % level, then play a movie, will the volume be the same ?

Possibly a nice to have, but without know how it's supposed to work, some themes could still be louder than others.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, CBers said:

If you have the themes playing at a % level, then play a movie, will the volume be the same ?

No.  This only affects theme music playback.  If you never touch this setting the app will behave exactly as it always has so no change for you.

The double % thing is a sticky issue but I think I've worked around it.  Thanks.

• Like 2

crusher11
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

I find it a little disrespectful that a feature has been added in beta to directly address YOUR issue and yet you are unwilling to even test it ?

It's...an issue. I reported it. It's been fixed (presumably). I don't see why I should be obligated to join the beta just because I was the one who pointed it out.

That said, I am interested in joining the beta, I'm just not at all familiar with sideloading on the Shield and such. With the server itself, it runs basically the same as any other Synology package, there's no real difference. With the Shield, it's a whole other set of skills and knowledge. I've had the box itself for all of a week or two.

I did manage to sideload the server on my Shield to test that out, but I haven't figured out how to actually find it. If the same happened with Emby, I'd have no access to the Emby app. That's not an ideal scenario.

crusher11
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

I find it a little disrespectful that a feature has been added in beta to directly address YOUR issue and yet you are unwilling to even test it ?

It's...an issue. I reported it. It's been fixed (presumably). I don't see why I should be obligated to join the beta just because I was the one who pointed it out.

That said, I am interested in joining the beta, I'm just not at all familiar with sideloading on the Shield and such. With the server itself, it runs basically the same as any other Synology package, there's no real difference. With the Shield, it's a whole other set of skills and knowledge. I've had the box itself for all of a week or two.

I did manage to sideload the server on my Shield to test that out, but I haven't figured out how to actually find it. If the same happened with Emby, I'd have no access to the Emby app. That's not an ideal scenario.

GrimReaper

Why did you sideload server, do you intentionally want to run Android server, which is perpetually in beta stage, and it does manifest occasionall hiccup (I've been running backup one for few years, it did cost me few nerves every now and then)? As far as beta client app, you don't have to sideload it (albeit you can, of course) you can just as well opt-in for Beta testing and your client will be automatically updated to beta version and subsequent ones once Google propagates it. 

Edit: 

Edit2: What do you mean exactly by you "can't actually find it"? Can't find apk or server upon installation? 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Link/Append

crusher11

It doesn't show up in my list of apps on the Shield.

I wanted to test it to see if it would perform better than my NAS. It didn't, so I never bothered fully setting it up.

GrimReaper

Well, it should, you'd recognize it by black background compared to blue one for client app. Did you get any errors during installation? 

crusher11

No, it ran fine when I installed it I just couldn't find it in my apps list afterwards.

I've joined the beta now, though, through that link. We'll see how it goes. I assume I want to set it to 100%?

GrimReaper

Hm, strange. You did select "Show all apps" in your App list? 

And yeah, considering the issue you were describing, I'd set it to 100% and go downwards if it's too loud. 

GrimReaper

I think you should give it a little time for Google to propagate your account association. Same with further beta updates, it'll be slightly behind from when Eric posts it on forum, from few hours to a day usually. 

crusher11

But I clicked that link to joint the beta, so it should just update normally, no? 

vdatanet
Just now, crusher11 said:

But I clicked that link to joint the beta, so it should just update normally, no? 

Yes, but it takes a little longer.

CBers
5 hours ago, ebr said:

No.  This only affects theme music playback.  If you never touch this setting the app will behave exactly as it always has so no change for you.

Can you explain what the percentages are of then? 

Is it a volume increase by that amount of the original? 

Thanks. 

GrimReaper

Just an example of how we perceive things differently - I would assume 100% to be as-is, unaltered volume, and lower values dampening it. Curious as to which method is applied.

Edited by GrimReaper76
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I would assume 100% to be as-is, unaltered volume, and lower values dampening it

Exactly.  You always attenuate a signal instead of boosting it if possible.  Boosting it digitally is likely to introduce clipping (rounding errors).

So, the setting is literally how it reads - 100% volume is full volume.  50% volume is half volume.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CBers
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Exactly.  You always attenuate a signal instead of boosting it if possible.  Boosting it digitally is likely to introduce clipping (rounding errors).

So, the setting is literally how it reads - 100% volume is full volume.  50% volume is half volume.

So how does this help with Crusher's issue with the audio being too quiet? 

2 minutes ago, CBers said:

So how does this help with Crusher's issue with the audio being too quiet? 

The app has always been turning down the volume on theme music.  This was requested as soon as I implemented theme music in the app back whenever that was.  The difference now is you have control over it.  So he can set his to 100% and have full volume on his themes.

CBers
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

The app has always been turning down the volume on theme music. 

Wasn't aware of that, which was why the descriptions you posted earlier were confusing. 

Thanks. 

Edited by CBers

crusher11
9 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, but it takes a little longer.

Longer than what? I don't know how updating works on the Shield in general. It's been several hours now and no sign of an update that I can see. 

seanbuff
2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Longer than what? I don't know how updating works on the Shield in general. It's been several hours now and no sign of an update that I can see.

Can take days and even longer to stay up to date with the latest beta via the Play Store. (Google's fault)

Hence why it's always recommended that you sideload the latest .apk if you need to stay on the most recent beta release.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CBers said:

Wasn't aware of that

Okay - that's what this entire thread was about but maybe you came in late.

crusher11
9 hours ago, seanbuff said:

Can take days and even longer to stay up to date with the latest beta via the Play Store. (Google's fault)

Hence why it's always recommended that you sideload the latest .apk if you need to stay on the most recent beta release.

But I'm still on 2.0.09, so it's not a question of the new update hitting their servers. It just hasn't updated me to any of the beta versions.