Theme music too quiet?

crusher11

7 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

My themes are, however, perfect on every Emby client I've tried with the exception of the Shield

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

they are massively different in dB needing an ffmpeg volume boost of 8 to get it to the same volume.

So, to me, that says the other apps are probably playing these way too loud for most people's setups.  But, the only solution will be to have a setting in the app.

crusher11

You saw me say it's perfect and concluded it's too loud?

That's an...interesting perspective.

roaku
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

So, to me, that says the other apps are probably playing these way too loud for most people's setups.  But, the only solution will be to have a setting in the app.

Could the setting be to have ffmpeg normalize to a 'reasonable' level?

Just now, roaku said:

Could the setting be to have ffmpeg normalize to a 'reasonable' level?

No, I'm talking about a setting for playback volume in the app not altering your actual themes.

roaku
2 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That's an...interesting perspective.

'Most people' will be using commercial music recordings, which are mixed and mastered to be much louder than your rips of home video releases.

roaku
1 minute ago, ebr said:

No, I'm talking about a setting for playback volume in the app not altering your actual themes.

Right, but for those of us with a mix of commercial music releases and rips from dvd/bluray, there won't be one magic correct volume.

14 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Since you discovered your items were significantly quieter than most others then I concluded that, for most others, they would be too loud.

8 minutes ago, roaku said:

Right, but for those of us with a mix of commercial music releases and rips from dvd/bluray, there won't be one magic correct volume.

One of the problems with this feature is that there really is no proper "source" for these.  At this time, it is up to the user/admin to try and come up with a way to make them consistent given where ever they are being sourced from.  Emby currently doesn't source them at all.

crusher11
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

it is up to the user/admin to try and come up with a way to make them consistent given where ever they are being sourced from.

I tried that, but then the Android TV app turned them all down...

roaku
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

One of the problems with this feature is that there really is no proper "source" for these.  At this time, it is up to the user/admin to try and come up with a way to make them consistent given where ever they are being sourced from.  Emby currently doesn't source them at all.

Just adding a per app volume setting is going to net you more complaints than officially doing nothing, I imagine.

Emby auto normalizing would be convenient for me, but I'm fine without it too.

Edited by roaku

Run 'em through MP3Gain and be done with it.

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php

Emby does not source the theme music. Emby should not be altering the theme music or it becomes in effect the creator of such. In parlance it becomes complicit. If this is copyrighted you may hear "I'm sorry. CBS has asked for us to remove this title from our library" in a robotic lady voice when trying to play theme music for some titles you downloaded from the web. It is easier if you obtain your theme music through a third party to use a third party to fix these so they have a normal "floor" and "ceiling" in regards to volume.

Edited by speechles

crusher11

None of that is relevant if Emby gives theme music different volumes in different clients.

Just stop futzing with the volume in the Android app.

Theme music is hardly a priority though. It cannot have that much attention thrown at it. It is just a small little trivial music player without controls. It isn't a robust music player. It is just a simple little thing that was meant to be fun. Theme music works. It just has quirks when the music is sourced from multiple/different places encoded by different people at different times with different applications.

Edited by speechles

3 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

Literally leaving it alone would improve things.

Lets discuss that. Leaving it alone? Is the application adjusting the volume.. or is it the floor/ceiling inside the theme.MP3 incorrect? Are these always MP3 with the problem with loud/quiet? Is it other codecs too? Is it just on the Android TV app this happens or is it across the board?

Leaving it alone is what the app is likely doing.

Edited by speechles

crusher11

No, the Android TV app turns theme music down. The other apps do not.

As a result, in the Android TV app my themes are too quiet.

Disabling the thing that turns them down would resolve my problem.

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Because the Android client is dropping the volume.

They're not barely audible at movie volume, but they are barely audible at watching-TV-shows-at-night volume.

Hey crusher11 could you PM a couple of themes you have for any popular movie?  I'm sure I'd have the movie so I could drop it in and test it across a few clients.

I'd like to hear what you hear.

rbjtech
12 hours ago, cayars said:

Hey crusher11 could you PM a couple of themes you have for any popular movie?  I'm sure I'd have the movie so I could drop it in and test it across a few clients.

I'd like to hear what you hear.

We've done that already Carlo - the Blu-ray Menu sound tracks that were provided were significantly lower in volume than the commercial version from the soundtrack album.  This makes perfect sense to me - you don't want your Blu-Ray menu selection belting out the soundtrack - you want it in the background as a non intrusive sound.  THIS is why they are a lower dB.

However - this conflicts with what the Android TV App is trying to do (ie reducing 'normal' volume MP3 tracks to these nice 'background levels'.  This is good.) and subsequently the result is the sound now has two levels of dB reduction - making it inaudible when the overall volume level is low (ie night time viewing)

The two options to resolve are to use the soundtrack version (which most people would be using), or simply have an option in the Android client to not reduce the volume further.  But please keep this function - as for me, it works perfectly for normal MP3's.

• Like 2

vdatanet
On 7/5/2021 at 11:23 PM, crusher11 said:

No, the Android TV app turns theme music down. The other apps do not.

As a result, in the Android TV app my themes are too quiet.

Disabling the thing that turns them down would resolve my problem.

Can you test beta 2.0.31? There's a new setting "Theme Volume" that may help you. BTW % symbol is shown twice in the volume picker (10 %%) I don't know if it's a localization issue.

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, vdatanet said:

BTW % symbol is shown twice in the volume picker

On what device?

vdatanet
1 minute ago, ebr said:

On what device?

Nvidia Shield:

Emby_20210708_160903.thumb.png.24d9a05eecee2ba836b6b26d74f4e772.png

FrostByte
18 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Can you test beta 2.0.31? There's a new setting "Theme Volume" that may help you. BTW % symbol is shown twice in the volume picker (10 %%) I don't know if it's a localization issue.

I see the double %% also on my Shield, so not localization I don't think