Theme music too quiet?

crusher11

crusher11

My theme music used to be about the same volume as my content, when watching on the LG TV app. On the Shield, to have the content at an acceptable volume requires the theme music being barely audible.

GrimReaper

You could try adjusting Audio Normalization value in Plugin settings. It will apply only for newly downloaded themes, tho - you might wanna rescrape existing ones. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

GrimReaper

Never thought about that scenario. Kudos for doing that manually, tho. 👍

crusher11

They're generally just conversions from the Blu-ray/DVD menus. On the LG they were all the correct volume but on the Shield they're way too quiet. 

crusher11

This seems to extend to audio in general, with different codecs being wildly different volumes, so I'm having to adjust up and down constantly when switching between a movie and its various bonus features.

Do you get this same issue playing back through web interface?

The app intentionally reduces the volume of theme songs.  This was requested back when we first implemented support for them so that they didn't blare out on the TV/Hi Fi system.

Its possible we can create a setting for this in the future but you are the first one to ask about it that I can recall.

crusher11

Mine are already exactly the right volume, though. A few of them are custom, with the audio adjusted as appropriate, and the rest are from the Blu-ray or DVD discs the films come from so they're at the exact volume they'd be played at when inserting the disc. Assuming the authoring of the disc wasn't horribly mishandled, it should all work just fine.

If I have the volume blaring for a movie it's not awful, although they're still too quiet. But if I'm watching a TV show at night, the theme music is literally inaudible.

I'm guessing the plugin themes are cranked up significantly more than what I'm working with.

Short of a user setting I don't think many people would want the themes to be as loud as the movie.  Often people will turn up the volume on movies and if left paused after the movie is done and you come back enter another show or movie you could get blasted.

Keep in mind some movies you might need to play with sound level of 5 and maybe another at 8 if you don't have normalized files so if you played something on the quieter side and had the volume up and then hit a theme that was on the louder side, wham!

That sort of thing can be bad at night when others have already went to bed and you're up for another show/movie to watch.

crusher11

But, again, it's all taken directly from the discs in my case so it's the correct volume relative to the movie already.

My movies are also all taken from discs, so no volume adjustment is necessary.

FrostByte

Most of mine are ripped from the soundtrack so I appreciate the lower volume.  In fact, it could even be lower.  

• Like 1

crusher11

I might as well delete all mine, given how quiet they are. They're barely audible. 

Why not run them through ffmpeg or something and make them louder?
You could batch process them.

• Haha 1

crusher11

Because they're currently the correct volume on literally every other client?

rbjtech

So I just had a quick test using the LG Client and Shield Android TV Client.

Yes the Android TV volume is lower, but it is imo the correct reference volume for what is background music.    It's a few db lower than the music vs the LG Client - which is 'too loud' and it made me jump tbh even though I was expecting it lol.

If you can barely hear it vs the media soundtrack - then I think something must be wrong with your Shield / config as it's can't be the MP3's if they are fine on all the other clients you have.

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech

Can't remember tbh - it was just the themes to the James Bond collection of movies that I bothered to manually gather and just copied them as theme.mp3 files. 

I don't think the mp3 files are your issue - or they would be low volume for all your devices ?

This is a MediaInfo grab of the details for one of the files - maybe the MP3 gain (highlighted) are different ?

General
Complete name                            : F:\Films 1\GoldenEye (1995)\theme.mp3
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
File size                                : 5.42 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min 30 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 216 kb/s
Album                                    : 007
Album/Performer                          : Tina Turner
Part/Position                            : 1
Part/Total                               : 1
Track name                               : Goldeneye (Goldeneye)
Track name/Position                      : 19
Track name/Total                         : 25
Compilation                              : Yes
Performer                                : Tina Turner
Encoded by                               : 
Genre                                    : Various
Recorded date                            : 1995
Writing library                          : LAME3.99r
MP3GAIN_ALBUM_MINMAX                     : 123,255
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_GAIN                    : -6.120000 dB
REPLAYGAIN_ALBUM_PEAK                    : 1.379870

Audio
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 3
Format settings                          : Joint stereo
Duration                                 : 3 min 30 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 216 kb/s
Minimum bit rate                         : 32.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Replay gain                              : -5.94 dB
Replay gain peak                         : 0.880189
Stream size                              : 5.42 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings                        : -m j -V 0 -q 0 -lowpass 22.1 --vbr-new -b 32
MP3Gain, Min/Max                         : 126,255

crusher11

What I mean is, if you got them via the plugin they might be different volumes than if you got them via the Blu-ray menus.

Not all of my themes are from the menus, but most are.

rbjtech

No mine will be the full retail version of the track from compilation albums,  not grabbed from the Blu-ray menu sound.

If grabbed from the Blu-ray menu's - it actually makes sense for this to be a lower volume as the intention is for it to be used as background music - the same as emby.  But that still does not explain why other clients are ok but the Android client is barely audible.

crusher11

Because the Android client is dropping the volume.

They're not barely audible at movie volume, but they are barely audible at watching-TV-shows-at-night volume.

crusher11

So after a back-and-forth via PM with @rbjtech and a few comparisons of samples....my themes are way quieter than his themes. Like, implausible-to-boost-to-the-same-volume quieter.

My themes are, however, perfect on every Emby client I've tried with the exception of the Shield. Which makes sense, because being largely from Blu-ray menus, they're already at the correct relative volume.

This is a setting that favors those who would rather pirate their media quickly than those who prefer to buy it and set it up manually. Which doesn't seem very fair. Additionally, that it's only present on the Shield means I cannot have themes that are the correct volume on all devices, even if I boosted the ever loving... out of what I'm using.

rbjtech

So @crusher11 and I have just compared the retail version of the Goldeneye theme from the official soundtrack album vs a rip taken from the Blu-Ray Menu's - they are massively different in dB needing an ffmpeg volume boost of 8 to get it to the same volume.

ffmpeg -i "theme.mp3" -af volume=8 newtheme.mp3

So the Android client is compounding the issue and reducing the volume further.

Maybe there needs to be an option when selecting 'play theme music' in the Android Client to not reduce the volume ?