Up Next Preview

crusher11

rbjtech
11 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Because it's broke maybe?  Why not go complain in the beta group where people are crying about thumb sizes being slightly off :) 

I'm really not sure what is broken ?  If I press the stop or back button, it stops, if I press the 'next episode' it does as it says ?  If I used the OSD jump to next episode, again it does as requested.  If I ignore the START/STOP and press down - it starts the next episode.  What is the issue ?

FrostByte
36 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm really not sure what is broken ?  If I press the stop or back button, it stops, if I press the 'next episode' it does as it says ?  If I used the OSD jump to next episode, again it does as requested.  If I ignore the START/STOP and press down - it starts the next episode.  What is the issue ?

The issue is that you can't cancel playing the next episode and still watch the current one to the end.  The STOP is redundant because as ebr mentioned there are several ways to do that without the STOP button already

• Agree 1

crusher11

I mean, there's no way to do that on any client, so I'm not sure it's really broken so much as a feature request issue.

The Stop button in its current setup is unclear as to its purpose, though. I genuinely had no idea whether it would stop all playback or cancel next-episode playback, although I was leaning towards the latter. Turns out it's the former. That's an issue.

CBers
37 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The issue is that you can't cancel playing the next episode and still watch the current one to the end.  The STOP is redundant because as ebr mentioned there are several ways to do that without the STOP button already

I'm sure it has been discussed a few years back, but Eric was never willing to change it. 

I'm sure I could find the posts on the forums if I looked hard enough, but it's been a few years. 

As long as you know how it works, you tend to live with the flaws. 

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Okay, then you admit you don't need the STOP button.  You just proved my case there are other ways to STOP without that button being there :)

No I did not say that at all.  I simply gave you the steps to get what you are after.  The stop button is slightly redundant for convenience.  A single button to stop right now.  I personally use this button every time I'm finished watching a particular series.  I could also just use back,back but the button is more convenient.

A button that does what you are asking would have to be labeled something like "close this panel and don't play the next episode" and that is just too much label.  Therefore, I think it would be better to provide the features I mentioned before.

If you want to change it make it so you have 2 buttons.  One jumps to the next episode NOW and the other after the episode fully plays.  This way for those shows with scenes in the credits you can still watch the complete ending followed by a new episode.  If you want to stop, we have that covered already.

This to me is the best of all worlds as it also solves the scene in credit endings.

• Agree 1

Isn't it press down to dimiss that? Pressing up while it is display goes into showing more. But press down should dismiss it entirely. Using stop should stop it after the episode you are watching finishes. Using Play Now should play the next immediately. You are control the Up Next panel when it comes up. Stop means stop it from going to the next. Not stop playback entirely at that point. You can stop it entirely at any point just press back. Why would you wait until the Up Next to do that? It makes sense stop when Up Next shows would just make Up Next showing stop.

Edited by speechles

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

No I did not say that at all.  I simply gave you the steps to get what you are after.  The stop button is slightly redundant for convenience.  A single button to stop right now.  I personally use this button every time I'm finished watching a particular series.  I could also just use back,back but the button is more convenient.

A button that does what you are asking would have to be labeled something like "close this panel and don't play the next episode" and that is just too much label.  Therefore, I think it would be better to provide the features I mentioned before.

Your solution doesn't get what I want because it only works after the server starts to play the next episode though so it doesn't really get me what I'm after because I'm already aware I can stop the next episode after it starts.  

What I would like to tell the server is to stop automatically playing the next episode after the current episode and still see the hidden scene at the very end of the current episode.  The best time to do that would be when the pop-up shows.

Carlos gets it.

I

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 minute ago, speechles said:

Isn't it press down to dimiss that? Pressing up while it is display goes into showing more. But press down should dismiss it entirely. Using stop should stop it. Using Play Now should play the next immediately.

That only hides the message.  It will still automatically play the next episode.

3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

That only hides the message.  It will still automatically play the next episode.

Pressing stop inside the Up Next should stop the Up Next progression (wipe queue.. ie, there is nothing next anymore) not stop playback entirely. You can stop playback already at any point using back. Why would you need a dialog that pops up at the end for that? You wouldn't.

Press down should dismiss and keep the Up Next progression. Using Play Now of course immediately progresses.

Edited by speechles

FrostByte
1 minute ago, speechles said:

Pressing stop inside the Up Next should stop the Up Next progression not stop playback entirely. You can stop playback already at any point using back. Why would you need a dialog that pops up at the end for that? You wouldn't.

Agree, the STOP is redundant and not needed because there are already a thousand other ways to do that. 

It should STOP the automatic playing of the next episode which is why crusher11, myself and others are confused because the way it reads and the way it functions are not the same.

9 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Agree, the STOP is redundant and not needed because there are already a thousand other ways to do that. 

It should STOP the automatic playing of the next episode which is why crusher11, myself and others are confused because the way it reads and the way it functions are not the same.

Exactly it is a function of the "Up Next" panel.

The "Stop" button on the Up Next panel is a Child of the Up Next panel. The Up Next panel is a Child of the Video Player object. In this case the Child object "Stop" button is speaking to its Parent object the "Up Next" panel. It isn't speaking to the GrandParent object Video Player. Although it could do that. But it should involve the Parent object in some way when doing that. And the GrandParent object would want that the Child finish the task at hand before not completing any more. Which is what having the video player dismiss the rest of the queue and finish playing to the end of that item.

Saying "the Child" this much makes me want more Mandalorian series!

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

FrostByte

Cool, then ebr should be able to fix it because you made it sound so easy :)

BTW: I was once a developer for a VERY large organization, so I understood what you were saying

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte
2 hours ago, ebr said:

I personally use this button every time I'm finished watching a particular series.  I could also just use back,back but the button is more convenient.

Wait a second.  LOL, so you wait for the pop-up to stop playback when you could have clicked back-back when the credits first started?   Meanwhile your current solution is for me to do the same after the server begins processing the next episode.  

Again, you ARE proving my point why the logic is all wrong.  You couldn't make my case any easier than you already have ,  Thanks :)

• Haha 1

crusher11

I would call it "cancel" rather than "stop" if its behaviour is changed as suggested. 

rbjtech

With you now - it's not 'broken' but agree that the pop up dialogue is referring to the 'Next Up' function and thus all responses to it should relate to that function only.   Also agree 'Cancel' or 'Cancel Next Up' is better represented than 'stop' and should only cancel the 'Next Up' function, not the current playback.  If you want to stop that, then use back - like you do for every other time when you want the current playback to stop.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Wait a second.  LOL, so you wait for the pop-up to stop playback when you could have clicked back-back when the credits first started?

With my TV content the popup usually shows almost exactly at the start of the credits.  I've found most of this content has 45 seconds of end credits.

I don't think a button labeled "Cancel" is clear either.  At least, it wouldn't be clear to me that button would hide the overlay and not advance to the next episode.  So we'd need a better label than that and one that isn't twelve words long... suggestions?

• Like 1

FrostByte

I like rbjtech's suggestions of "CANCEL NEXT" or "CANCEL NEXT UP".   The first one would would be shorter and I think still get the message across.   As he said the whole pop-up is about the Next episode and whether, or not, you want to watch it so I don't think people will be confused by either of those.

CBers
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I don't think a button labeled "Cancel" is clear either.

Surely CANCEL would mean cancel the Next Up playback from starting, as you need a break from your binge watching. 

Seems intuitive enough. 

rbjtech

I'm happy with CANCEL - but if we have room then CANCEL NEXT covers all possible ambiguity imo.

CANCEL refers to a planned but not started action - STOP refers to a current action.

So as it functions today, STOP is technically correct, but if we only want it to STOP once the episode finishes, then it should say CANCEL. (😆)

• Like 1

I still think "Cancel" is ambiguous as it could just mean hide this panel.  And "Cancel Next" is clumsy and not really clear either IMO.

What about "Don't Play"...?

So you have "Start Now" and "Don't Play".

FrostByte

I prefer "CANCEL NEXT" or "CANCEL NEXT UP" or even "CANCEL NEXT EPISODE", but you can call it "Eric's magnificent magical mystery button" as long as I can see my Marvel post credit scenes :)

• Like 1