Up Next Preview

crusher11

crusher11

In the LG app this included the episode description. In the Shield app it doesn't. I swear I remember from using my brother's TV that there's an option for it in the Android TV app, but I can't find it. 

crusher11

The Android version doesn't even tell me which show is playing. The LG version gives me the show, the episode number, the duration, and its description.

2021-06-24 00.54.17.jpg

2021-06-24 00.56.45.jpg

Hi.  Yes, press the up arrow when that is on screen.

I'll get a visual hint for this into the interface.

crusher11

Ah, yes, that's the one.

What does "stop" do? Cancel playback of the next episode while finishing the current episode, or stop playback of the current episode? Context suggests the former but the text suggests the latter.

CBers
37 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

What does "stop" do?

Just tried it and it stops playback at that point.

CBers

If you press down the START NOW/STOP OSD disappears and the next episode still starts once the current one ends.

FrostByte

Agree, it's confusing.

There needs to be something like a "Cancel" playing the Next episode while continuing to play the current episode.  Especially with Marvel TV putting post credits scenes in their shows once in awhile.  

• Like 1

FrostByte

You could replace "STOP" with "CANCEL" because you can always STOP playback after cancelling.  Otherwise add a third button so that we can continue watching the credits without starting the next episode

• Like 1

Spaceboy

always been confusing, i've just never cared that much about watching the credits to complain :)

• Like 2

FrostByte

I never did either until Disney+ started having these Marvel shows with post credit scenes

crusher11

The first time it popped up that I was actually wanting to do anything with it was while watching a basketball game I'd recorded, so a) there were no credits and b) I wanted to make sure the whole recording worked so I could delete it from my DVR (it wasn't recorded within Emby, I got it off my DVR and saved it onto Emby).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Well that's...weird.

The thinking is - the credits are in progress and you either want to:

1) Continue to watch the credits and let the next item play - so you simply dismiss the overlay with back or down

2) Stop watching all together because this episode is over and you don't wish to continue to the next one - so you hit the "stop" button which, well, stops...

3) Immediately go to the next episode because this one is over and you want to watch the next one - so you hit the start now button.

A third button really shouldn't be necessary as there are already two ways to dismiss the overlay if that's what you want to do (back or down).

Having said all of that, we have discussed turning this entire logic around to be "opt in" instead of "opt out".  That is, instead of the default action if you do nothing being to continue on, make it so that you have to take some sort of action for the next episode to play.  I think that would clear up a lot of this confusion and also help with the "I fell asleep and the whole series played" problem.

crusher11

That would be awful for lazily laying on the couch binging episodes, though. Or Virtual TV and the like. "Are you still watching?" exists as an option, which I've disabled, and that ought to be sufficient.

There's already a 'stop' button as well, though, so having one on the overlay seems a bit pointless. And its presence on the overlay makes it seem like it relates to the overlay, and the playing of the next episode, which is why I first thought it might be a 'continue this episode but don't play the next one' button.

• Like 1

FrostByte

24 minutes ago, ebr said:

The thinking is - the credits are in progress and you either want to:

1) Continue to watch the credits and let the next item play - so you simply dismiss the overlay with back or down

2) Stop watching all together because this episode is over and you don't wish to continue to the next one - so you hit the "stop" button which, well, stops...

3) Immediately go to the next episode because this one is over and you want to watch the next one - so you hit the start now button.

A third button really shouldn't be necessary as there are already two ways to dismiss the overlay if that's what you want to do (back or down).

Having said all of that, we have discussed turning this entire logic around to be "opt in" instead of "opt out".  That is, instead of the default action if you do nothing being to continue on, make it so that you have to take some sort of action for the next episode to play.  I think that would clear up a lot of this confusion and also help with the "I fell asleep and the whole series played" problem.

None of the current options allow you to watch the whole episode and not continue watching the next episode this time.  Thus changing STOP to CANCEL because STOP is already on the OSD

The opt-in would work for me, but not work for those who aren't sitting next to the TV with the remote in hand.   For instance if I get up and go grab something to eat when the credits start and miss the pop up

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, crusher11 said:

That would be awful for lazily laying on the couch binging episodes, though. Or Virtual TV and the like. "Are you still watching?" exists as an option, which I've disabled, and that ought to be sufficient.

There's already a 'stop' button as well, though, so having one on the overlay seems a bit pointless. And its presence on the overlay makes it seem like it relates to the overlay, and the playing of the next episode, which is why I first thought it might be a 'continue this episode but don't play the next one' button.

Agree, just change the STOP to CANCEL.  We already have a STOP.  The more I think of it Opt-in will make a lot of people mad also

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crusher11 said:

There's already a 'stop' button as well,

46 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

We already have a STOP

Where...?

52 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

The opt-in would work for me, but not work for those who aren't sitting next to the TV with the remote in hand.   For instance if I get up and go grab something to eat when the credits start and miss the pop up

The current idea is to basically have two options - one to show the next up information (this would be the "opt in" I spoke of) and another to auto-queue (this would be basically what we have now).  So, I think that would cover both situations.

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Where...?

Technically, you could CANCEL and then use the OSD to STOP.   As of now I have no option to watch the end of an episode that may have post credit scenes and not start the next episode automatically all the time.

1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Technically, you could CANCEL and then use the OSD to STOP

And you can do that now by simply hitting "back" and then "back" again at the end of the episode.

A button to "dismiss this panel and not play the next episode" would be too hard to label properly and the changes I outlined above should cover that scenario anyway.  You would turn on the option to show the next up info but not the option to automatically play. 

FrostByte
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

And you can do that now by simply hitting "back" and then "back" again at the end of the episode.

A button to "dismiss this panel and not play the next episode" would be too hard to label properly and the changes I outlined above should cover that scenario anyway.  You would turn on the option to show the next up info but not the option to automatically play. 

Okay, then you admit you don't need the STOP button.  You just proved my case there are other ways to STOP without that button being there :)

I'll be looking forward to your other idea though if you say it's better

• Like 2

rbjtech

Why oh why do we feel the need to keep changing this !  Can we spend the time on bringing up the functionality for the other TV players to match what Android has today - ie basic stuff like FFWD/RWD or Chapters on the Samsung Client for example ...    ie Uniformity for all the TV clients.. ?

FrostByte
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Why oh why do we feel the need to keep changing this !  Can we spend the time on bringing up the functionality for the other TV players to match what Android has today - ie basic stuff like FFWD/RWD or Chapters on the Samsung Client for example ...    ie Uniformity for all the TV clients.. ?

Because it's broke maybe?  Why not go complain in the beta group where people are crying about thumb sizes being slightly off :) 

• Like 2