Nvidia Shield TV is getting a Google TV-like facelift

CBers

CBers

On the Chromecast with Google TV device, there is a specific option to have the UI in APPS ONLY mode.

If functions well, but it does remove somethings that people might like, but I haven't found the option on the Shield - perhaps it needs another update.

Edited by CBers

CBers
23 hours ago, CBers said:

Just had this new UI appear on my 2015 Shield. 

My father-in-law now has it on his 2019 Shield Pro as well. 

Now I have it on my 2017 Shield. 

Full house now. 

32 minutes ago, groenator said:

Are there going to be any UI changes on emby for the newly Android TV version?

What would you like to see?

Deathsquirrel

This crap was inflicted on my shields today.  I really, really hate it.  I don't quite hate it enough to switch back to a HTPC but definitely enough to switch to any other HTPC replacement that doesn't pull this crap.  Of course that's a list I can count on zero fingers.

Really do hate this update though.  I didn't rent these damn machines or pay a subsidized price in exchange for tolerating ads.

• Sad 1

arrbee99

Could you please clarify the ads bit you mentioned please. Are you talking ads for programs on services you haven't got, say Apple TV or something, or ads as in face cream...

Deathsquirrel
11 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Could you please clarify the ads bit you mentioned please. Are you talking ads for programs on services you haven't got, say Apple TV or something, or ads as in face cream...

So far it's ads for shows on services I neither have nor want.  The practical difference between that and comparable advertising for other things I never asked google to advertise to me is escaping me just now.  I didn't buy a freaking shield TV f0r $200-300 because I wanted ads.  Amazon devices are available.  I had that option and avoiding it, until now at least, cost me quite a bit of money.

arrbee99

Oh well, I imagine buying something you really like and then watching new improved features roll out that actually make things worse is hardly a new phenomenon...

CBers

It's bad enough seeing the recommendations (ads) for content from the apps you have installed, but it's even worse having the recommendations for apps that you don't have installed.

I have Apple TV recommendations on my screen but I don't, and never will, have the app installed 🙄

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Mike-G

2 hours ago, CBers said:

It's bad enough seeing the recommendations (ads) for content from the apps you have installed, but it's even worse having the recommendations for apps that you don't have installed.

I have Apple TV recommendations on my screen but I don't, and never will, have the app installed 🙄

I agree.  And as I've watched some of them, I find that some of the recommendations are from companies that I refuse to do business with or for programming that I find distasteful -- just like with youtube's recommendations -- which is no surprise since they come from the same place.

I've read some posts about using alternate home screens (and/or app launchers) and have tried to find instructions for them. But the only things I've found so far are little more than "download and install a file from <some place>".  I'm not going to install an unknown file from an arbitrary location.

If anyone has successfully installed an alternate home screen (and/or app launcher) that bypasses Google's advertising crap, I'd  appreciate pointers to any screen shots, sources, reviews, and instructions you've come across about how to get there from the vanilla Shield setup.

CBers
5 minutes ago, Mike-G said:

If anyone has successfully installed an alternate home screen (and/or app launcher) that bypasses Google's advertising crap, I'd  appreciate pointers to any screen shots, sources, reviews, and instructions you've come across about how to get there from the vanilla Shield setup.

There appears to be quite a few different launchers for Android TV, but you would need to ty which one suits your needs.

I found this link, dated last month: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-tv-launcher-apps/ 

rbjtech

Personally I think it is much better and it allows you to fully customise your home screen.

I now have the App bar (emby #1 of course) and Emby Recommendations directly underneath it - and nothing else (as I turned all the other recommendations from other installed apps off).

The only thing I wish it would do is use emby as the 'backdrop' recommendations - but I may turn those off by just blocking the outgoing connections to the Google URL on my f/w...

FrostByte

If you're like me and Emby is the only thing you use your Shield for then get the new remote and remap the Netflix button to start Emby.  The only time I see the Shield home is when I'm installing new versions of Emby

5e4300c791ab7_embyremote.thumb.jpg.b705fa315098221dab71feb5d2fea95b.jpg.6c5b23ac035c255bf2eb42233c5f5b14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CBers
48 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I now have the App bar (emby #1 of course) and Emby Recommendations directly underneath it - and nothing else (as I turned all the other recommendations from other installed apps off).

Can you take a screenshot to show us how it looks please.

Minimalist is always best.

rbjtech

Sure - they are just phone camera shots but you get the idea -

Capture3.thumb.PNG.0d44d8d864485fa12028ee717951c797.PNG

this one shows the Emby Live TV options (I don;t use this personally, so turned it off)

Capture2.thumb.PNG.daf1d7cc444ed50c9d0d8bd975396521.PNG

All customised via the 'Channels' - turn the rows on or off .. :)

Capture1.PNG.58089f2a5f34b78774bd614c5c700d37.PNG

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

JustEric78

To add to the customization options above, the order they appear is based off of which ones are turned on in order. Meaning that if you turn everything off, then go through and turn them on again one at a time, the one you select first will appear below play next then below that etc. 

• Like 2

Q-Droid
11 minutes ago, JustEric78 said:

To add to the customization options above, the order they appear is based off of which ones are turned on in order. Meaning that if you turn everything off, then go through and turn them on again one at a time, the one you select first will appear below play next then below that etc. 

Do you mean the order of the rows on the home screen? You can change those by navigating left but not the first (app) row. Second row and below you can move. 

• Agree 1

JustEric78
4 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Do you mean the order of the rows on the home screen? You can change those by navigating left but not the first (app) row. Second row and below you can move. 

I did not try it that way, but the way I mentioned works as well, I assume though there was a better way so  thanks. 

Riggs

More crap for your money.

Someone must put a stop to these American companies that think they own the world.
You pay for what you want, it's like going to buy a pair of Levi's pants and a month later some paid crooks come from that company, put you against the wall, take off the pants and sew on a bunch of stickers with company names and advertising.
I'm sick of that crap.

• Like 1

CBers
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Sure - they are just phone camera shots but you get the idea -

this one shows the Emby Live TV options (I don;t use this personally, so turned it off)

All customised via the 'Channels' - turn the rows on or off .. :)

OK, so the same as mine then, minus the Emby recommendations.

I managed to revert my Shield back to the old UI.

I uninstalled the updates for Android TV, as system app.

Not sure how long it will last though.

• Like 1

groenator
16 hours ago, Luke said:

What would you like to see?

• For starter I would like to change the recommend channel section into discovery tab, same like other apps.
  • Add a channel for continue watching

These are the only two I can think of now. 

6 minutes ago, groenator said:

For starter I would like to change the recommend channel section into discovery tab, same like other apps.

Hi.  Can you show us what you mean here?

6 minutes ago, groenator said:

Add a channel for continue watching

Resumable items will already show in the "Play Next" channel that is on the device home screen.