Nvidia Shield TV is getting a Google TV-like facelift

CBers

aperry
3 hours ago, Riggs said:

My solution

You need go to settings Apps-- all apps-- scroll down to system apps  and find "Android TV Home" from there you uninstall updates, and that's it

Of course no automatic updates will be allowed anymore. Just manual.

Interestingly, Google disabled the "uninstall updates" option from Android TV Home yesterday. I read this online, and sure enough I no longer have that function specifically for the Android TV Home system app. Seems that Google has more remote control of this product than I was ever aware.

I'm jealous of everyone who's not bothered by this. It really infuriates me. I don't like the ads, but I REALLY don't like that Google forced this on my premium priced products (in my family's living room) years after purchase. Surely they could have added an option to disable, even if it's only available on premium products like Shield. It just feels like something between a slap in the face and a bait-and-switch.

• Like 1

CBers
5 minutes ago, aperry said:

they could have added an option to disable, even if it's only available on premium products like Shield.

There is an option on the Chromecast with Google TV device to use it in app only mode, so that you don't get the recommendations. 

Hopefully this will filter down to the Shield eventually. 

aperry
Just now, CBers said:

There is an option on the Chromecast with Google TV device to use it in app only mode, so that you don't get the recommendations. 

Hopefully this will filter down to the Shield eventually. 

Yeah, there's reason for hope in the future. You can actually install the Google TV launcher on the Shield. Unfortunately all of the Settings functionality is still the stock Shield Settings menu and so you can't get to the option to run in app-only mode. Kind of makes sense when you think about it because the Shield has a ton of custom stuff in Settings that helps with things like input/output compatibility, power options, "shield accessories", etc. 

Riggs
14 hours ago, aperry said:

Interestingly, Google disabled the "uninstall updates" option from Android TV Home yesterday. I read this online, and sure enough I no longer have that function specifically for the Android TV Home system app. Seems that Google has more remote control of this product than I was ever aware.

I'm jealous of everyone who's not bothered by this. It really infuriates me. I don't like the ads, but I REALLY don't like that Google forced this on my premium priced products (in my family's living room) years after purchase. Surely they could have added an option to disable, even if it's only available on premium products like Shield. It just feels like something between a slap in the face and a bait-and-switch.

Is sad. :(

I apply my solution 2 days ago and still working fine with the auto updates disabled.

I let you know if some change is made in some days.

The world is migrating to a service economy because hardware has become so cheap (relatively speaking) and the capabilities of that hardware such that you don't need to replace it very often that companies simply cannot sustain themselves by selling you a single, $200 product every 5-10 years.

• Like 2

Riggs
22 hours ago, ebr said:

The world is migrating to a service economy because hardware has become so cheap (relatively speaking) and the capabilities of that hardware such that you don't need to replace it very often that companies simply cannot sustain themselves by selling you a single, $200 product every 5-10 years.

The change was not on Nvidia side, it was in Google side.

I hope that comment has nothing to do with the lifetime subscription.
It's okay to make money, but not at the expense of people's privacy or the excessive abuse of US monopolies and all that mafia of companies that become billionaires at the expense of users by selling personal data.
Yes, of course, you pay and then they earn with you much more than that $ 200 and in much less time, and they will continue to do so because nobody controls them.
It's a bad way to build wealth, and only an American businessman and his money-making style will justify that behavior.
The user pays, the user receives, for this there are already subscriptions to paid streaming services, and not all of them are cheap. Nor do I need to be adorned with them and turn my streaming device into a marketing device. Google insists on taking what's wrong with it and just adding it whatever it takes no matter what. I am glad that the EU and other global entities have addressed the issue of limiting US monopolies in this regard. The economy cannot continue to spin at the expense of the user. I don't think you would like your coffee machine to put more sugar in your cup of coffee overnight as a "suggestion" (regardless of whether you have sugar or not).

Riggs
On 6/27/2021 at 6:24 AM, Riggs said:

Is sad. :(

I apply my solution 2 days ago and still working fine with the auto updates disabled.

I let you know if some change is made in some days.

My solution still working without issues, maybe for test if you can't uninstall the updates of System apps like "AndroidTV Home" you can try set your device to developer mode to have access to uninstall the updates.

aperry
1 hour ago, Riggs said:

My solution still working without issues, maybe for test if you can't uninstall the updates of System apps like "AndroidTV Home" you can try set your device to developer mode to have access to uninstall the updates.

Thanks! It looks like the "adb uninstall <package name>" function will uninstall updates from system apps. I might give this a shot on one of my Shields. 

Deathsquirrel

Well Nvidia's recommended solution had too many annoying side effects and uninstalling the update doesn't work for me.  My remaining option appears to be choosing between suck it up and use a different device.  As there is no other device that can play all my videos without transcoding, other than a HTPC, I'll choose the suck it up option for now.  Grudgingly but whatever, I'm moving on for now.

moviefan

nVidia's suggestion breaks several things:

1) Can't sign into Youtube anymore

2) Can't use Netflix without it popping up a warning every 30 seconds telling you it won't work without Google Play services enabled

3) Can't install (or even search for) any new apps

Not sure what else but I bet there's more.  Not a great solution.  Maybe better than ads?  I dunno...

Riggs

Uninstall the updates on System apps >>> "AndroidTV Home" works for me. I don't know what Nvidia says in their forums. You will need to disable the AUTO-UPDATES. That's it! 

It works like before, no issues found of any kind.

Deathsquirrel
11 hours ago, Riggs said:

Uninstall the updates on System apps >>> "AndroidTV Home" works for me. I don't know what Nvidia says in their forums. You will need to disable the AUTO-UPDATES. That's it! 

It works like before, no issues found of any kind.

While I'm glad that worked for you, it doesn't work for me and many others.

CBers
8 hours ago, Deathsquirrel said:

While I'm glad that worked for you, it doesn't work for me and many others.

No, as it looks like Google removed the UNINSTALL UPDATES option for the Android TV system app.

I was fortunate that I was able to do it before they did that, so I still have the same old UI on my Shields.

Riggs
On 6/30/2021 at 1:24 AM, CBers said:

No, as it looks like Google removed the UNINSTALL UPDATES option for the Android TV system app.

I was fortunate that I was able to do it before they did that, so I still have the same old UI on my Shields.

Did you try enable developer mode?

vdatanet

Does this garbage prevent the Shield from going to sleep automatically?

vdatanet
1 hour ago, vdatanet said:

Does this garbage prevent the Shield from going to sleep automatically?

I think, If I accidentally focus on the spam row, it gets bigger and starts a rotation ads that prevent the Shield from going to sleep automatically.

vdatanet

I was considering migrating from Apple TV to Android TV, but I think I will continue as usual, Emby on Android TV and the rest of the applications on Apple TV.

Riggs

UPDATE

I don't know, but after install the latest version of Emby, the crappy home screen returns and the TV Android Home was not updated, so I did the update of the TV Android App and now the home is like before.

Now the home screen is the same before this topic in my Shield Pro.

Don't ask me because I have no idea what the problem was (for me) but now seems to be fixed.

25 minutes ago, cayars said:

Good link @CBers

Everyone who doesn't like this or the idea of pushing any kind of ad to any device should post here to let their voice be heard.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/457996/new-ad-bar-please-remove/

Good luck. ;) 

What would be Google's incentive for disabling this...?  Their entire business model is based on advertising.

• Agree 2

Deathsquirrel
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Good luck. ;) 

What would be Google's incentive for disabling this...?  Their entire business model is based on advertising.

True, I figure Nvidia is putting this up purely to say 'we're doing what we can'.