Nvidia Shield TV is getting a Google TV-like facelift

CBers

1971camaroguy

I noticed the update last night, it sucks. Has anyone rooted the shield to boot directly into emby? That's all I really use it for anyways.

aperry

I received the updated UI yesterday and I'm pretty outraged by the situation. I'd be fine if this were some cheap ad-supported piece of hardware but I paid a premium for it and I didn't expect to be dealing with ads, especially for services that I'm not even subscribed to.

Question: Does anyone own both a Shield and a recent Apple TV? Can you compare the Emby experience for me? The UI images look quite a bit different, so I'm curious if I'd lose functionality by moving to the Apple TV. I'm getting quite tired of Google's antics, and this latest one feels like a slap in the face. I'm thinking about moving back to the Apple ecosystem (and I know Apple has its own issues).

10 minutes ago, aperry said:

I'd be fine if this were some cheap ad-supported piece of hardware but I paid a premium for it and I didn't expect to be dealing with ads, especially for services that I'm not even subscribed to.

Can't you just turn them off (as indicated previously in this thread)?

Deathsquirrel
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can't you just turn them off (as indicated previously in this thread)?

Nope.  There is currently no option to turn off these new ads.  You can load a different launcher I understand.  I'm planning to try that soon.

vdatanet

In Spain, we have the same launcher with the spammer row. I like Android TV less and less, I have my Shields just for Emby.

1190870724_AndroidTVHome_20210623_231338.thumb.png.24ff26cc69dadbb43ff6690ed4b46a1e.png

aperry
18 minutes ago, Deathsquirrel said:

Nope.  There is currently no option to turn off these new ads.  You can load a different launcher I understand.  I'm planning to try that soon.

I've installed Wolf launcher. It's okay, but requires a lot of customization and messing around in order to get it to look good, and you still need to deal with some bugs,  loss of certain functions, and some questions surrounding the longevity of the hack. It'll buy me some time while I think about other options. I'll admit that it's the principle of the situation that bothers me the most. These aren't cheap boxes.

CBers
8 hours ago, CBers said:

I managed to revert my Shield back to the old UI.

I uninstalled the updates for Android TV, as system app.

Not sure how long it will last though.

A few hours later and still the old UI. 

aperry

I was able to achieve a look that's not totally awful using Wolf launcher (at least IMHO). Hopefully it'll last a while.

PXL_20210623_223447835_MP.thumb.jpg.61c315f271f7952b7a3ca83d23fcae5f.jpg

PXL_20210623_224226548_MP.thumb.jpg.f79bab9b2bb959f8e456ca97ddc1c27d.jpg

• Like 5

That to me is a clean UI I can give to any family member and they will be able to use it.

CBers
8 hours ago, aperry said:

I was able to achieve a look that's not totally awful using Wolf launcher (at least IMHO). Hopefully it'll last a while.

Very nice 👍

rbjtech

Really ?  I think that looks nasty ..

Ran out of time yesterday to look into this, but my theory is if the shield can't reach it's ad providers, then nothing will be shown.

Looking at the output below from just resuming the shield to the home screen and powering it back off again - this is the web calls it is making.   I'll try blocking these and see what happens... I'll follow up shortly..

If I can just get the 'ad' in the background removed/blocked - then I'm totally happy with the current setup - a single row for apps and a second row for emby content.  You can't get any cleaner than that and no 3rd party junk - who knows what info it is collecting ... 🙄

edit - even when powered down (in standby), it constantly chats and grabs content (tbh, I was expecting this..), so going to leave it for a few hours and then see what I need to block ... it's reaching out to good old https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net so that can go for starters ...

shield_outbound.thumb.PNG.51cc6b04dd01c1eee780529b5ee11c34.PNG

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech

quick update .. everything is now blocked but the background ad persists - I guess it must have cached it and keeps using it as it has no alternative.

I may need to factory reset the shield and see what it does then .. hmm .. this could take a bit more investigation.

groenator
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you show us what you mean here?

In the new UI as you know there is a new tab called Discovery. For now it shows recommendations only from Amazon prime and Disney Plus. Would be nice to see recommendations from emby server. I am not sure if this is possible. 

groenator
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Resumable items will already show in the "Play Next" channel that is on the device home screen.

Oh make sense now, the play next channel is off on my shield. Thanks!

CBers
8 minutes ago, groenator said:

In the new UI as you know there is a new tab called Discovery. For now it shows recommendations only from Amazon prime and Disney Plus. Would be nice to see recommendations from emby server. I am not sure if this is possible. 

I believe they are being delivered by Google, so unless Emby get in bed with them, it ain't gonna happen.

Why not enable the Emby Recommendations row ?

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, CBers said:

I believe they are being delivered by Google, so unless Emby get in bed with them, it ain't gonna happen.

Google doesn't want to share a bed, they want money. 🤑

• Haha 1

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, groenator said:

I have an Emby user specific 'Suggested' Row - see my post in this thread.  tbh, I'm not sure how the content is getting there ... 

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/99218-nvidia-shield-tv-is-getting-a-google-tv-like-facelift/&do=findComment&comment=1037607

Edited by rbjtech

CBers
22 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'm not sure how the content is getting there

It's part of the ATV app - ask @ebr for specifics.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I have an Emby user specific 'Suggested' Row - see my post in this thread.  tbh, I'm not sure how the content is getting there ...

2 hours ago, CBers said:

It's part of the ATV app - ask @ebr for specifics.

Correct.  It is a channel published by the app.  You can enable or disable it in the device home screen settings.

• Thanks 1

aperry
10 hours ago, Riggs said:

Refuse the update?

Unfortunately this launcher was either added by Google Play Services (automatically, independent of the Shield updates) or it was added during an earlier Shield update but disabled via feature flag until this week. Either way, several people commented that they received it even with "automatic updates" turned off.

14 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Yeah, the more I've been going back and fourth between the stock launcher and this Wolf launcher, the more I agree that it's pretty sad. I'm really frustrated by the situation. Today Google apparently somehow removed the "uninstall updates" option from the Android TV Home system application, which was one of the workarounds people were using over the last few days to restore the older version of the launcher.

Let me know if you make progress blocking google servers. To me this seems like it would require a good deal of maintenance and snooping over time, but maybe it's an option. I have a pi-hole that can easily block things.

Hoping someone's able to rip out the stock launcher and re-package it to be installed as a custom launcher without the ads. (no idea if that's possible)

rbjtech
8 hours ago, aperry said:

Let me know if you make progress blocking google servers. To me this seems like it would require a good deal of maintenance and snooping over time, but maybe it's an option. I have a pi-hole that can easily block things.

They are blocked, that's not an issue, but the ads are cached and thus I need to factory wipe the unit and to proove a point - I'm not sure I want to do that as it's all working perfectly for me ... .  Being honest, I actually have very little issue with how it looks now with the new layout - I much prefer it to the old - I now just have an apps row with 4 apps (fully selectable) and an emby recommendations row - that's it.  The ads are nice graphics of upcoming movies with a small 'play now' option on them if you decide to scroll up - hardly 'in your face'.    So unless the ads get worse, I'm actually inclined to leave it alone for the time being.

Edited by rbjtech

aperry

Understood. Yeah, I don't have much interest in a factory reset either. I've been playing around with the handful of available launchers. Thankfully it's pretty easy to switch back and fourth. None of them are a great replacement for stock, unless someone's looking for a super simple interface.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:43 AM, rbjtech said:

Haw.. that is the first thought that came to my head. Why the weird shadowy boxes behind all the icons? Is it trying to be KODI little brother or sister?

<TheNewUI> Hi Kodi
<KODI> *flips it the bird*

It looks confused. Icons up top need big thumbnail shadows under and space 'em wide apart. Icons below shovel them right up next to each other like best buddies.

They still think the UI should look like a computer...

Side-Note: Those "ads" with the little play icon are part of the industry. Nvidia was told to either catch-up and get there or pay the piper. That is why suddenly things get enabled without updates. Google is trying to compete against the Apple, Amazon, and Roku of the world. They want your eyeballs on their content even if you are not playing it.

Edited by speechles
  • Agree 1