4K Movies freezing

RoyH
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Hi, I am using 4.6.2.0 and whenever I try to play a 4K movie with Emby on my Windows 10 PC (Server) it freezes but if I play that same movie on the same Windows 10 PC using Windows Media Player its fine. I had the same issue before when I used a windows 7 PC as the server so I switched today to a Windows 10 PC and it still froze so I added a Radeon HD6670 Graphics card that I had and the same result. My motherboard is a F2A85-M PRO, Processor AMD A8-6600K, with 16G of RAM. The PC is a clean build with Emby basically the only thing on it along with Shark007 Advance Codex V1508

vdatanet

Is it transcoding? Are you playing using web app or Emby Theater? I guess you are playing with web app and transcoding is required and your server is not powerful enough. Try Emby Theater instead:

https://emby.media/emby-theater.html

To confirm, please post your server and transcoding log:

Edited by vdatanet
  • Thanks 1

Ok it was transcoding, I tried playing the 4K movie from my phone and it kept freezing and Emby showed it was transcoding I copied the Logs attached. I played it through my Samsung TV and it showed Direct Play and it didnt freeze. 

Also you said my server might not be powerful enough could you send me some specs for a server that would be not just good but great, need something with lots of headroom if I am going to invest in a new server I need something that would give me at least 8-10 years 

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-fd22a31a-0f31-46e2-a4c2-2b6d25bbdad6_1.txt

vdatanet
35 minutes ago, RoyH said:

Ok it was transcoding, I tried playing the 4K movie from my phone and it kept freezing and Emby showed it was transcoding I copied the Logs attached. I played it through my Samsung TV and it showed Direct Play and it didnt freeze. 

Also you said my server might not be powerful enough could you send me some specs for a server that would be not just good but great, need something with lots of headroom if I am going to invest in a new server I need something that would give me at least 8-10 years 

embyserver.txt 988.74 kB · 1 download ffmpeg-transcode-fd22a31a-0f31-46e2-a4c2-2b6d25bbdad6_1.txt 192 kB · 2 downloads

Playback is local or remote? Can you increase the quality? Sometimes Auto is not a good value, put a higher bitrate.

TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit

Actually the issue is that it looks like your server just can't transcode this fast enough to be playable. I see you enabled transcoding tone mapping. You may want to try turning that off.

14 hours ago, RoyH said:

I don't know if anyone can plan for 8 to 10 years out but 3 to 5 is likely doable.  We just don't know what new formats of media will be available that far out.

What is your current server setup?  Maybe you can just upgrade it instead of replacing it.

20 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Playback is local or remote? Can you increase the quality? Sometimes Auto is not a good value, put a higher bitrate.

Its local

8 hours ago, Luke said:

Actually the issue is that it looks like your server just can't transcode this fast enough to be playable. I see you enabled transcoding tone mapping. You may want to try turning that off.

Will try this tomorrow watching basketball playoff tonight and have an early day tomorrow. Need recommendations on a setup that can play anything that can be thrown at it.

6 hours ago, cayars said:

What is your current server setup?  Maybe you can just upgrade it instead of replacing it.

My motherboard is a F2A85-M PRO, Processor AMD A8-6600K, with 16G of RAM. Radeon HD6670 Graphics card, I think I need an upgrade, and if I am going to go there I need something to last as long as possible so dont mind spending a few bucks more to get not a good but a great rig.

Ideally, you want a CPU that supports QuickSync (Intel) or you want an Nvidia GPU (1650 or better if it were me).
On the client side having a device that can do HDR->SDR is quite helpful as well if your TV isn't HDR and you do have 4K HDR media.

The Shield TV Pro is about the best device there is right now and the device to have with high end sound systems.  It's a bit on the more expensive side but can basically direct play nearly anything. If you don't have high end sound needs then a MiBox-S is sort of like a "light" version of the Shield TV and works very well also.

Having local clients that can direct play anything takes the burden off the server and will normally provide the best results.  If you share with family/friends, that's typically when transcoding comes more into play as you don't normally control what clients your family/friends have.

19 hours ago, cayars said:

Ideally, you want a CPU that supports QuickSync (Intel) or you want an Nvidia GPU (1650 or better if it were me).
On the client side having a device that can do HDR->SDR is quite helpful as well if your TV isn't HDR and you do have 4K HDR media.

The Shield TV Pro is about the best device there is right now and the device to have with high end sound systems.  It's a bit on the more expensive side but can basically direct play nearly anything. If you don't have high end sound needs then a MiBox-S is sort of like a "light" version of the Shield TV and works very well also.

Having local clients that can direct play anything takes the burden off the server and will normally provide the best results.  If you share with family/friends, that's typically when transcoding comes more into play as you don't normally control what clients your family/friends have.

Ok I will look into an Intel  i5 or i7 and a Nvidia GPU 1650 or better,  is there any benefits in getting both the intel CPU and the Nvidia GPU as my server is just plugged into a monitor and I stream everything from the server to the TVs.

All my TVs are Samsung 8 series  4k TV with HDR, I have 3 other family members that access my system and all have  4K Smart TVs

Unless I am understanding this incorrectly I don’t think I need the Sheild TV Pro that is when you don’t have a Smart TV am I correct.

@vdatanet , @Luke thanks for your help when it rains it pours, I shut down my server one of my HDD stop working and making the clicking noise, I ordered a few HDDs I need to backup my entire collection, I have 3 x 4T HGST HDD which are good and 1 4T Seagate HDD the one that failed.

If you get a current i5 or i7 with QuickSync you may not need the Nvidia GPU for only a couple of people outside your LAN.
Try first without it as you can alway add it later if still needed.

If the built in client on your Samsung TV is doing everything you need it to then you have no need for the Shield TV. If you have a 7.1 sound system in the Living room, I'd then consider the Shield TV for that since it's about the best for handling sound and passthrough to AVRs.

@cayars WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS

GIGABYTE B460M DS3H LGA 1200 Intel B460 Micro-ATX Motherboard with M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 1

Intel Core i5-10600K Comet Lake 6-Core 4.1 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070110600K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GVK

That should be fine. The CPU is 10th Gen which is good.

WHile memory is pretty cheap you really won't need 32GB if just running the OS and Emby.  8 or 16GB would be plenty but there's something to be said for never running out of memory assuming you aren't running VMs or other things.  If you do plan on running VMs I'd up the CPU to an i7.

One of the best things you can do is get an M.2 1TB drive for the OS and Emby which will hold all your meta-data.  Emby runs much faster from any type of SSD.
I also use a 2nd SSD I use for temp transcoding and for all my DVR Recordings before I process them.

• Agree 1

Thank you will get the M.2 1T SSD. Wont be doing VM I didnt even know what VM was had to Google it to figure it out. Will use the Rig for Emby only. For Emby only is there a noticeable improvement to go to an i7. Also any suggestions on HDD I currently have 3 x 4T HGST they work fine also 1 x 4T Seagate  and a 2T Samsung both died on me, trying to get the data recovered sent it to a guy to see if it can be done. I like HGST but since WD take them over and phasing them out dont know where to turn, I purchased a WD Red 6T to replace the Seagate & Samsung, most of the HGST on Amazon people reviewing them saying they are not New and have thousands of hrs on them but being sold as new. Purchased a few 6T WD Blue they are cheap and slow but will just use them to backup my HDD so in the event any of the HDD fails I have a copy and dont have to pay to get the data recovered. I dont do Raid.

Plan to buy the stuff July 4 weekend hoping to catch a sale, so need to get my list finalized by then.

If you can afford the i7 over the i5 then it's better to help future proof your setup but don't purchase for example an 9th gen i7 over a 10th or 11th gen i5 as these generation upgrades help with QuickSync and Hardware Transcoding.

I personally use WD Red drives (mostly pro) and have good luck with them.  Not the fastest drive on the market but good speed and seems to be one of the more reliable drives on the market.

I'd avoid the blue drives personally as they don't handle vibration as well which becomes a problem as you add more and more drives.

These are all just personal opinions of course, but the faster your equipment (CPU & drive speed) overall the better your media server will likely work.

SSD drives will likely make the most overall improvement of any component as long as everything else is up to the challenge.

I am using the blue to make a copy of the data on the other drives and the blue will go in a box and stored safely they will no be in the PC and if one of the drives fail then I use the blue to recreate that drive and the blue go back in a box.

Will look into the i7 10th or 11th Gen and see if it is feasible. 

For the M2 SSD what do you think about these 2 Samsung below which one should I go with or do you have a better suggestion. 

980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe® SSD 1TB

980 PCIe® 3.0 NVMe® SSD 1TB

Both are fine.  Just purchase the one that meets the spec of the motherboard you're installing it on. 

Thank you will decide on the M2 SSD once I decide on the Motherboard which is dependent on the CPU

Last question almost have all my ducks in a row. Which of these 2 would be better, to stay within a reasonable budget these two are the best I find an 11 Gen i5 or a 10 Gen i7 the i7 is $50 more than the i5

Intel Core i5-11600K Rocket Lake 6-Core 3.9 GHz LGA 1200 125W BX8070811600K

Intel Core i7-10700K Comet Lake 8-Core 3.8 GHz LGA 1200 125W  

What are the performance numbers for each of them CPU wise?

If you look up the difference in 10th vs 11th gen Intel CPU what difference do you see with QuickSync?

PS Putting you to work. :)

Half of this seems like Dutch to me, I am close to 60 so no computers nor internet when I grew up so dont understand most of the technological terms used. Been at this for nearly 3 hours and cant find anything that shows me the difference between 10th Gen and 11th Gen that mention Quick Sync. I've built a few PCs but any dummy can do that and they all have been AMD never did an Intel before. Also any comparison I see of course its apples to apples so it compares i7 10th Gen to i7 11th Gen. In my case because of financial constraints I can get an i5 11th Gen or an i7 10th Gen which makes the comparison for an amateur like myself even harder. 

My knowledge in this is very limited thats why I use Emby for movies and TV shows that I download or convert from media I have (DVD etc)  dont have live TV , DVR and that other stuff to make it too complicated.

Edited by RoyH

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, RoyH said:

Half of this seems like Dutch to me, I am close to 60 so no computers nor internet when I grew up so dont understand most of the technological terms used. Been at this for nearly 3 hours and cant find anything that shows me the difference between 10th Gen and 11th Gen that mention Quick Sync. I've built a few PCs but any dummy can do that and they all have been AMD never did an Intel before. Also any comparison I see of course its apples to apples so it compares i7 10th Gen to i7 11th Gen. In my case because of financial constraints I can get an i5 11th Gen or an i7 10th Gen which makes the comparison for an amateur like myself even harder. 

My knowledge in this is very limited thats why I use Emby for movies and TV shows that I download only dont have live TV , DVR and that other stuff to make it too complicated.

You can get comparisons just googling them.  

i5-11600K vs i7-10700K - Google Search

Core i7-10700K vs Core i5-11600K [in 12 benchmarks] (technical.city)

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Thank you, your links took me to sites I had not checked but still nothing giving info about Quick Sync but your server info is helpful your Beta  machine specs should be a great guide for me I'll just get upgraded components to what you have, I'll get the Windows 10 Pro, 17-10700 3.8 GHZ, 32 GB Ram, 1TB 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe, I might even look into the Rosewill Case see if I get an upgraded version.

Thank you @Happy2Play & @cayars I think I have enough info to start on my project of setting up a new Emby server.

GrimReaper

Just to throw a wrench there, as far as QuickSync goes, i7-10700K is 10th Gen. Comet Lake CPU with Version 6 QuickSync while i5-11600K is an 11th Gen. Rocket Lake CPU with Version 8 QuickSync. Integrated graphichs Is also slightly better on i5, UHD750 vs UHD630 on i7. Depending on your needs, i5 might be a better buy.

Intel Quick Sync Video

Exactly and why I was hoping the Op would have come to that conclusion as well. :)
For Emby Server this specific i5 CPU is better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

Just to throw a wrench there, as far as QuickSync goes, i7-10700K is 10th Gen. Comet Lake CPU with Version 6 QuickSync while i5-11600K is an 11th Gen. Rocket Lake CPU with Version 8 QuickSync. Integrated graphichs Is also slightly better on i5, UHD750 vs UHD630 on i7. Depending on your needs, i5 might be a better buy.

6 hours ago, cayars said:

Exactly and why I was hoping the Op would have come to that conclusion as well. :)
For Emby Server this specific i5 CPU is better.

Thank you, then i5 it is plus the i5 will save me 50 bucks. Waiting on July 4th to see if there is a sale so enough time to give my list a tweak or two.