un8y - a WMC theme with a Windows 8 twist (and a template to create your own WMC theme)

keef

Warning

un8y does NOT work with Windows 8.1.  The version of Media Center has changed to 6.3, and at the moment this is not supported by Media Center Themer.

I guess we need to wait on Patchou to update MCT.

• Like 1

AlwinHummels

Warning

un8y does NOT work with Windows 8.1.  The version of Media Center has changed to 6.3, and at the moment this is not supported by Media Center Themer.

I guess we need to wait on Patchou to update MCT.

Thanks for the warning

i tried to theme mine and its killed a complete user.. Nothing will run. I was due a rescan as freesat has been changing transponders...

think i botched the ehres.dll now no exe's run at all.

oh and neither will recovery console....

Aaaaargh

i tried to theme mine and its killed a complete user.. Nothing will run. I was due a rescan as freesat has been changing transponders...

think i botched the ehres.dll now no exe's run at all.

oh and neither will recovery console....

Aaaaargh

Is this after updating to 8.1?

Did you only make graphical changes to ehres.dll?  I've not had a chance to compare, but there may be differences between the 8 and 8.1 ehres.  I'd be surprised if the graphic entry structures were different though.

I've not had much chance to test, but using only Media Center Themer, as far as I can tell WMC and MBC are OK - except that un8y isn't being applied.  I'd forgotten how much I hated the default WMC theme...

I'll be doing more testing tonight though

the themer wouldn't work, so i thought I'd be clever and have a dabble with restorator...

famous last words.

strangely the other users aren't affected??

A quick for info update from Patchou today:

"I'm currently assembling my new computer, I'll put Windows 8.1 on it and I'll make sure to release a Windows 8.1 compatible version of MCT.  While I'm working on it, do you have any particular suggestions for improvement?"

Fingers crossed it won't be too long a wait...

Edited by keef

@Lee - you did directly edit the Windows 8.1 ehres.dll, right?  You didn't just copy in a previously edited Windows 8 ehres.dll?

Remember, when Restorator saves a modified dll, it makes a backup of the original so you can always go back.

In Windows 8.1, Media Center and Media Browser Classic seem to run fine.  Only Media Center Themer doesn't work.  The theme just doesn't get loaded, but it doesn't actually break anything.

I've since deleted the user account that broke..

made a different user admin and made the original tv account local. Then... Deleted the local account and made a new tv account(it links to windows phone family calendars!)

long winded but appears to have worked.

I'm tempted to format now tbh i think I'm due!!!

not sure if it'll take me back to 8 though?? I would hope not... The restore/wipe facility in w8 is really good.nice and easy and trouble free.....

• 2 weeks later...
Nick's MCE

i do wish soultaker would do a rethink... Neo is still my favourite theme.(still us

Un8y based themes by Alwin

525c12111dcdf_screen.png

Download: Un8y Blue / Un8y MidNightBlue / Un8y MidNightRed / Un8y MidNightYellow / ROC Un8yBlue skin

As promised here my Un8y Based WMC themes I also made a new blue colored skin for  the MediaBrowser ROC theme.

I'll have to thank Keef for the nice kickstart of this theme.

Hi, I really love the work and the Un8y. I have a quick question regarding the volume of the welcome voice, is there some way I can turn it down a little as it startles the wife everytime I launch media centre.

Hey Keef whilst waiting for patchou to release themer I've been trying to figure out the colour ?gamut? is that right?? for Neo

I've applied the night theme and like it better but i'd like to maybe darken it and change the text highlighting can u point me in the direction of where to look regards colouring numbers please?? it's not the same as html ones is it? I tried changing some and mbc wouldn't start!!

luckily I had backed up and restored that and all was good...

ok so I figured out 0,0,0 for black on the background !!

i'd like to go grey text with white highlight ala xbox one...

tips would be great!!!

before I break something again... lol

Nick, sorry for the delay in answering - I'm overseas with work just now. Apologies to your wife for startling her!

The answer to your query is very similar to the answer to Yogi's question about the select sound:

Have a look in C:\ProgramData\Media Center Themer\Theme\. The elements that are changed can be found in the XML file, and the items themselves are mainly in \Resources\ehres\Images.

You have a few options:

The sound that you want to change is INTRO_A.

If you open up the XML, search for INTRO_A. Then just delete

<Resource Id="INTRO_A.WAV">

<Replace File="Theme\Resources\Ehres\Images\INTRO_A.WAV" />

</Resource>

The sound then won’t be modified, and you'll get the default WMC intro sound.

Alternatively,

you could just replace the INTRO_A wav in C:\ProgramData\Media Center Themer\Theme\Resources\ehres\Images with whatever wav file you want (you still need to call it INTRO_A.WAV, though).

Or

you could replace the current INTRO_A with this (right click and "Save target as...) one, where I've cranked back the volume a bit for you. If you have a wav editor, you can adjust the volume to suit yourself.

Let me know how you get on.

Edited by keef

CWNashvegas

ok so I figured out 0,0,0 for black on the background !!

i'd like to go grey text with white highlight ala xbox one...

tips would be great!!!

before I break something again... lol

They are RGB values. You can use something like this to get the values for the color you want: http://www.colortools.net/color_mixer.html

• Like 1

The backgrounds, etc., are just images so just edit/re-colour as you want.

For text colours, look in C:\ProgramData\Media Center Themer\Theme\Resources\shell\COLORS.MCML

The text highlight colour is FocusHighlight. Most of these are actually ARGB, where A is the alpha (opacity). FocusHighlight is currently set to 255,178,34,34 - 178,34,34 is the Firebrick red highlight colour used in neo. Change the last 3 digits to match the RGB values of the colour you want.

Note that if you use invalid values, WMC won't load.

Edited by keef

i meant in Neo pal... Gonna Av a fiddle with the rgb values. Not keen on the yellow text highlight on neo night. The rest, likey!! Now if only i could change where some of the links go that would be perfect....

Sorry for misunderstanding, mate - this is a thread about a media center theme, not skinning a media browser theme, after all..!

Have a search on the old CT for BAS' Pearl skinning guide - there is a lot of commonality between the Pearl and Neo skinning engines.

and now..

not sure whether to go with green for the highlight or stick with white??

just need patchou and I can edit my WMC theme to match my new NEO-XboxOne lookalikey

:D

post-299-0-62079900-1383258290_thumb.jpg

here's a comparison. not a million miles away.. if I could move the tiles and resize them it'd be awesome...

post-299-0-88937800-1383259193_thumb.jpg

Hey chef! To be honest, I'm not sure about the W8 ehres. I've not really looked at it - I just tell Media Center Themer what images to replace and give it the images. It does all the hard work! I'm travelling just now, but I'll have a look with Restorator when I get home.

still prefer the neo ehs.. spacings are off a bit on the venus.

thanks for the tip though, I think I had played with that setting a LOOOONG time ago!!

Hey keef. This looks good. Does the ehres change in windows 8? Or is it comparable with the win7 version?