ASS/SSA subtitles not showing up

rodainas

DylanParham
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

The default mode doesn't guarantee that they'll be selected when you start playback, but you can always select them during playback. Did you try that?

Yep! Both before at the episode selection screen as well as during. I've tried starting with none and then selecting a track during playback and every other combination I could think of. Switching during playback, switching before playback, etc. None seem to want to show :(

DylanParham

Edge and Firefox both transcode, so the subtitles appear fine in the web player.

Theater direct plays and displays subtitles properly.

Edge:

image.thumb.png.6e796c16e95c929c43fca7a6c1170c37.png

Firefox:

image.thumb.png.d074b6baa6a73e2e8a2fc020af80e837.png

Theater:

image.thumb.png.1c50bc7be697791c0de3a68e0fb4905f.png

2 hours ago, DylanParham said:

@Luke & @ebr

Sideloaded android app and it did not display the subtitles.

Hi, are you sure? What version number did you try?

DylanParham
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, are you sure? What version number did you try?

Yep! Just double checked to verify. 3.2.81 is the version number that shows on the sideloaded app. I used the arm7 file on the URL you linked to me.

6 minutes ago, DylanParham said:

Yep! Just double checked to verify. 3.2.81 is the version number that shows on the sideloaded app. I used the arm7 file on the URL you linked to me.

What exactly did you do in the standard app?

DylanParham
8 minutes ago, Luke said:

What exactly did you do in the standard app?

With respect to playback? Same as the Android TV app. Connect to the server, load up the show, select the version (in this case the one that is having issues) and the subtitle track, press play. No subtitles appear - try to change subtitles, still no dice.

If you're asking what I did to find the version number, I just pulled up the menu when you click on your profile icon on the top row.

Just now, DylanParham said:

With respect to playback? Same as the Android TV app. Connect to the server, load up the show, select the version (in this case the one that is having issues) and the subtitle track, press play. No subtitles appear - try to change subtitles, still no dice.

If you're asking what I did to find the version number, I just pulled up the menu when you click on your profile icon on the top row.

Can you update to the latest beta server and see if that has an impact? Thanks.

DylanParham
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you update to the latest beta server and see if that has an impact? Thanks.

Is 4.8.0.12 still the latest version? That's the version I'm on right now.

image.png.923df7e76f1a7f1b1764959c6b6a62fc.png

So you've got two videos here that are multi-version? Can you zip them both up and provide a copy of them here? Thanks.

DylanParham
56 minutes ago, Luke said:

So you've got two videos here that are multi-version? Can you zip them both up and provide a copy of them here? Thanks.

DM'd

16 hours ago, DylanParham said:

If I flip the forced flag on, then I can direct play the updated file with no issue.

Have you tried reversing that change in the file and then ensuring the problem is still there?

DylanParham
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you tried reversing that change in the file and then ensuring the problem is still there?

Interestingly enough, if I reverse the change and flip the forced flag off, the reverted file also plays as expected.

8 hours ago, DylanParham said:

Interestingly enough, if I reverse the change and flip the forced flag off, the reverted file also plays as expected.

Okay, that would indicate that something about the headers or structure of the file is bad (or at least not supported by the player) and, when you edit it, it fixes it.  The fact you changed the forced flag was just coincidental.  Editing anything and saving probably would have fixed it.

DylanParham
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, that would indicate that something about the headers or structure of the file is bad (or at least not supported by the player) and, when you edit it, it fixes it.  The fact you changed the forced flag was just coincidental.  Editing anything and saving probably would have fixed it.

Yeah, it seems like just running it through mkvtoolnix without even making any changes fixes whatever the issue is.

--- Output of job 'Multiplexing to file "Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido MP.mkv" in directory "X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1"' started on 2022-10-15 21:37:00 -05:00 ---
mkvmerge v71.1.0 ('Fortitude') 64-bit
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'HEVC/H.265'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'SSA/ASS text subtitles'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'SSA/ASS text subtitles'.
The file 'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido MP.mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Multiplexing took 42 seconds.

Still weird that theater is able to parse the subs fine but the Android TV app doesn't like it. If you don't think it's worth looking further into it I think it can be shelved for now considering the fix is simple and only takes a minute or so. :) Also I think Luke tagged you in the DM I sent him so you should have access to the test files too if you do decide to pursue further.

Thanks again for the guidance and I hope you all have a great weekend!

On 10/15/2022 at 10:48 PM, DylanParham said:

Yeah, it seems like just running it through mkvtoolnix without even making any changes fixes whatever the issue is.

--- Output of job 'Multiplexing to file "Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido MP.mkv" in directory "X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1"' started on 2022-10-15 21:37:00 -05:00 ---
mkvmerge v71.1.0 ('Fortitude') 64-bit
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv': Using the demultiplexer for the format 'Matroska'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 0: Using the output module for the format 'HEVC/H.265'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 1: Using the output module for the format 'AAC'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 2: Using the output module for the format 'SSA/ASS text subtitles'.
'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido.mkv' track 3: Using the output module for the format 'SSA/ASS text subtitles'.
The file 'X:\TV Shows\Reincarnated as a Sword (2022)\Season 1\Reincarnated as a Sword S01E01 - Kaleido MP.mkv' has been opened for writing.
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Multiplexing took 42 seconds.

Still weird that theater is able to parse the subs fine but the Android TV app doesn't like it. If you don't think it's worth looking further into it I think it can be shelved for now considering the fix is simple and only takes a minute or so. :) Also I think Luke tagged you in the DM I sent him so you should have access to the test files too if you do decide to pursue further.

Thanks again for the guidance and I hope you all have a great weekend!

Yea it's on our list for review. There must be something about it that the android video player doesn't like or has trouble with. Thanks.

DylanParham
13 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yea it's on our list for review. There must be something about it that the android video player doesn't like or has trouble with. Thanks.

Thanks for the update! Let me know if you need any help testing.

Edited by DylanParham
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
forbius95

Hi Luke, do you think that you could add the option "Burn in SSA Subs for Formatting" in Android app like Emby Android TV ? I found the interface Android app 3.3.49 looks great on TV but the burn in SSA is not available..

Thanks for your great job :) 

image.png.415d700a0a4381950d348b5eb4212e4c.png

Edited by forbius95

On 12/11/2023 at 7:26 AM, forbius95 said:

Hi Luke, do you think that you could add the option "Burn in SSA Subs for Formatting" in Android app like Emby Android TV ? I found the interface Android app 3.3.49 looks great on TV but the burn in SSA is not available..

Thanks for your great job :) 

image.png.415d700a0a4381950d348b5eb4212e4c.png

Hi, have you noticed that the app can render them without requiring the server to burn them in?

forbius95

Yes you’re right for embedded SSA/ASS subtitle. But unfortunately, it is not the case for external SSA/ASS subtitles. It is shown with small arial font. 

It would be just perfect if we could activate this option to resolve this problem. Loving the Emby for android 3.3.51 interface (good job by the way!! :) )

• Thanks 1

forbius95

I forgot to precise that having external SSA/ASS subtitles help us customizing some unreadable embedded subtitles and making them more comfortable to read (particularly for animes). 

And this avoid us the conversion of many videos. 

Edited by forbius95

• 2 months later...
forbius95

@LukeIs it possible to get the "burn in SSA subs for Formatting" on Android app please ? Like the Android TV app. This option is a gift to get the external subs SSA displaying properly. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2024 at 11:59 AM, forbius95 said:

@LukeIs it possible to get the "burn in SSA subs for Formatting" on Android app please ? Like the Android TV app. This option is a gift to get the external subs SSA displaying properly. 

Certainly possible yes.

• Thanks 1