ASS/SSA subtitles not showing up

rodainas

rodainas

I have some mkv files with embedded and external ass subtitles. Neither of these subs are visible on AndroidTV app and Android Mobile, but they are visible on iOS, SamsungTV and embycon for Kodi Matrix.

Using currently latest emby server and AndroidTV client.

Hi.  What exactly does "not visible" mean?  They aren't an option or they don't show when you select them?

Also,  what is the version number of the app?

rodainas

They are selectable, the problem is on playback they are enabled and selected but they arent showing.

Am using Emby in Firestick 4K

Stable: v2.0.09a (2021/05/03)

A friend tried the same file on Nvidia Shield and the subs are showing correctly too.

So far the subs works on

Emby Theater

Android Mobile

AndroidTV via Nvidia Shield

Embycon on Kodi Matrix

SamsungTV

Web app

Doesnt Work on:

FireTV stick 4k

Edited by rodainas

Can you test again on the FireTV stick 4K and verify the media is DIRECT PLAYING?

rodainas

Sure, it is direct playing I use all my devices with direct playing, so far this is the only case of a mkv file with ass/ssa subtitles (embedded or external) that has given me problems on the Firestick 4K.

37 minutes ago, rodainas said:

Sure, it is direct playing I use all my devices with direct playing, so far this is the only case of a mkv file with ass/ssa subtitles (embedded or external) that has given me problems on the Firestick 4K.

Have you sent an in app log for this?

Instructions for doing so are located in this post

20 hours ago, rodainas said:

so far this is the only case of a mkv file with ass/ssa subtitles (embedded or external) that has given me problems on the Firestick 4K.

So other items with these types of subs work properly on that same device?

Just for reference ebr.  The file I've been using to test with on the different clients (working on Firestick 4K for me).
image.png.ec66595fc632381949c5a099869ea0cb.png

3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Just for reference ebr.  The file I've been using to test with on the different clients (working on Firestick 4K for me).
image.png.ec66595fc632381949c5a099869ea0cb.png

In your case, the media is irrelevant.  The player is simply not loading the renderers.  I think this report has to be different as it is a Fire device but would need to see an app log to be sure.

Just saying that DOES work for me on the Firestick 4K unlike on the Shield TV or MiBox S

rodainas

@ebr
@cayars

Log sent at 4:08 Pm Eastern Time, Playing Gintama S01E01, user eduardo.

Yes I played other videos with these kind of subs on the same device and it works normally.

Hi.  We are still investigating but, if this is only happening with this one particular item I think it may be related to that item.

• 2 weeks later...
rodainas

@Luke

Already tested it on android, and a second test right now, same results.

Tested on
Android 3.1.88  on my Firestick 4K

This is the first time I encounter  this problem (only on firetv with android/androidtv apps), the only exception is embycon/embynextgen that shows up the subtitles for this file on firestick 4k.

Edited by rodainas

2 hours ago, rodainas said:

@Luke

Already tested it on android, and a second test right now, same results.

Tested on
Android 3.1.88  on my Firestick 4K

This is the first time I encounter  this problem (only on firetv with android/androidtv apps), the only exception is embycon/embynextgen that shows up the subtitles for this file on firestick 4k.

3.1.88 is old now, can you try the latest from my link above? Thanks.

rodainas

Ok tried last version, some better results, it now loads the embedded subtitle but not the external also if I try to switch while playing the embedded subtitles doesnt show up.

What type of external sub are you trying to switch to?

Thanks, just wondering if you have tried the latest ATV beta version if possible as that has some subtitle fixes in it.