ASS/SSA subtitles not showing up

rodainas

1 hour ago, rodainas said:

@cayarstested the latest beta, same results, no subtitle showing up.

Exactly what beta did you test?

rodainas

The one posted in here

Emby Android TV Release Notes (BETA) - Android - Emby Community

Installed app-amazon-release

• Fix crash entering audio player before playback started
  • Restore DD bitrate constraint on Fire but up to 640k
  • Change subtitle offset increment to 250ms

(please only install the proper release for your platform)
app-google-release.zipapp-amazon-release.zip

I have a Frestick 4K I can use to do some testing for you.

Could you provide a sample file that has this problem?

I first tested via web player where both subs playback.

Next I tried on the FireStick 4K.with 2.0.26a and neither sub would play for me.

@ebr let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to test.

Edited by cayars
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, cayars said:

I first tested via web player where both subs playback.

The item was transcoding then?

22 minutes ago, cayars said:

Next I tried on the FireStick 4K.with 2.0.26a and neither sub would play for me.

How was it playing then?

• 10 months later...
hisune

@cayars @Luke @ebr I have the same problem, ASS/SSA subtitles not showing up in AndroidTV client, and this question has led me to consider whether to buy a Emby Premiere or not. 

My AndroidTV client version is 2.0.70g

Edited by hisune

rodainas
8 hours ago, hisune said:

@cayars @Luke @ebr I have the same problem, ASS/SSA subtitles not showing up in AndroidTV client, and this question has led me to consider whether to buy a Emby Premiere or not. 

This happens with a a few files, a minor percentage but stills happens.

In contrast Kodi shows all those ass subtitles.

The alternative I took was to batch convert those subtitles to srt to avoid the inconvenience w emby for androidtv in the firestick 4k.

hisune
2 minutes ago, rodainas said:

This happens with a a few files, a minor percentage but stills happens.

In contrast Kodi shows all those ass subtitles.

The alternative I took was to batch convert those subtitles to srt to avoid the inconvenience w emby for androidtv in the firestick 4k.

What batch conversion format tool do you use? In addition, if manual format conversion cannot be automated, it will be troublesome to add movies.

rodainas
59 minutes ago, hisune said:

What batch conversion format tool do you use? In addition, if manual format conversion cannot be automated, it will be troublesome to add movies.

I use linux cli with a ffmpeg batch command if you are interested I can look for it and share it.

Automation will depend on how you add new media to your libraries.

10 hours ago, hisune said:

Hi.  This topic is from a few versions ago.  Can we please look at an example?   Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Weevillo

I can report that I had the same issue last weekend, but it got resolved. It started with not being able to show the subtitles on any Emby client (ATV, general Android app, web player or ET), so I tried Jellyfin and it worked there, same with MPV on my PC. The issue seems to have stemmed from me initializing a metadata refresh or library scan (can't remember which one I'm afraid) after having just recently changed the name of the movie files. I've had similar issues related to file naming in the past; one such example was my episode files having too long names and that somehow broke Emby's ability to read metadata, so I couldn't play any of them back (I had enabled long character names in regedit). Fixed that one by including "\\?\" in the destination path.

Anyhow, might be something to look into. The problem went away the next day and I was able to play the movie files with ASS subtitles (all this time the server reported back that the files were direct playing).

• 5 months later...
DylanParham

Good afternoon!

It seems like I might be having a similar problem. I am streaming to a Shield TV and the ASS/SSA subtitles are not displaying on the app. I tested on Firefox as well as Emby Theater and both seem to be working properly with and without transcode. I have two different sets of ASS subs for this media (one with and one without honorifics) and neither are displaying when playing the content when direct playing to the Shield TV.

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
    • Opened S1E1 of Reincarnated as a Sword (episode titled Catgirl Meets Sword in the logs), played about 20 seconds of it, no ASS subtitles were displayed.
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
    • 3:13 PM EST on 10/12/22.
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time
    • Dylan

Thanks for everything you guys do. If you need any additional info, please let me know!

Additional notes:

The forced ASS subtitles on the first entry work fine, the second do not.

image.thumb.png.06cdaf3318dae40819a413dbe8977cfe.png

embyserver.txt

Edited by DylanParham
more info

DylanParham

@Luke Hey sorry, I DM'd @ebr this morning but it looks like they haven't read it yet so I'll go ahead and post here.

Didn't want to flood the thread with questions. When you say that I have two default subtitle tracks selected, do you mean between the two different files for the same episode?

How would I go about removing the flag for one of the tracks?

If it makes a difference, the problem was occurring before I added the second (forced, top row in the screenshot) file - I only added the second file so I could watch in the meantime since the subtitle track for it works. The one marked 'Kaleido' (bottom row) is the one having issues. Neither of the subtitle tracks show. The unmarked version (top row) plays fine.

image.thumb.png.f7ae07ced39f714b43a034f9cab57e0a.png

Another note, I did update to 4.8.0.12 beta this morning from 4.8.0.10 beta and still having the same issue.

Edited by DylanParham

DylanParham
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Editing track flags is something you can do with software such as mkvtoolnix.

You can also try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares.

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

@Luke & @ebr

Sideloaded android app and it did not display the subtitles.

Turning on the forced display subtitle flag caused the subtitles to appear properly in both the Android and Android TV app. Is it expected behavior to not display the subtitles if the forced flag is not enabled, i.e. should I expect to adjust any future episodes that I get in that format?

Edited by DylanParham

12 minutes ago, DylanParham said:

@Luke & @ebr

Sideloaded android app and it did not display the subtitles.

Turning on the forced display subtitle flag caused the subtitles to appear properly in both the Android and Android TV app. Is it expected behavior to not display the subtitles if the forced flag is not enabled, i.e. should I expect to adjust any future episodes that I get in that format?

Default display depends on your subtitle preferences but you always manually select them in the video player.

DylanParham

@Luke

Correct - in this instance I am selecting the English (Default ASS) subs and they are not displaying when the media is direct playing.

The only way I was able to get the original file to show subs (without the forced flag on) was to enable the "Burn in SSA Subs for Formatting" which obviously causes transcoding. If I flip the forced flag on, then I can direct play the updated file with no issue.

Here are my current subtitle settings on the Shield:

image0.jpg

Edited by DylanParham
img

6 minutes ago, DylanParham said:

@Luke

Correct - in this instance I am selecting the English (Default ASS) subs and they are not displaying when the media is direct playing.

The only way I was able to get the original file to show subs (without the forced flag on) was to enable the "Burn in SSA Subs for Formatting" which obviously causes transcoding. If I flip the forced flag on, then I can direct play the updated file with no issue.

Here are my current subtitle settings on the Shield:

image0.jpg

The default mode doesn't guarantee that they'll be selected when you start playback, but you can always select them during playback. Did you try that?