Dashboard Active Devices are not very active and disappearing at times.

Brendon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

thegrunge
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are those users actually playing at that time? Like for instance at the 40 second mark in the video, the firestick and apple tv users, were they actively playing at that moment?

@Lukeeverything was fine live, i would do this video over and over again it would always be the same result. On android the only difference is that the active readings do not disappear but remain static. It is therefore really related to the new version 4.6.0.50 and 4.6.1.0 and not the android application or web browser

I do not know if there is a difference between a user who has created his emby account and that I have added, or a user that I have created is accessed directly in emby. In my case I created the accounts on emby.

It could be a lead, because @Happy2Play says they don't have this problem.

Edited by thegrunge

Happy2Play
31 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

user who has created his emby account and that I have added, or a user that I have created is accessed directly in emby.

Good question, are these Connect user connections or Direct user Connections?  My tests are Direct local user connections via remote access, will test Connect connection shortly.

42 minutes ago, thegrunge said:

@Lukeeverything was fine live, i would do this video over and over again it would always be the same result. On android the only difference is that the active readings do not disappear but remain static. It is therefore really related to the new version 4.6.0.50 and 4.6.1.0 and not the android application or web browser

I do not know if there is a difference between a user who has created his emby account and that I have added, or a user that I have created is accessed directly in emby. In my case I created the accounts on emby.

It could be a lead, because @Happy2Play says they don't have this problem.

can you provide the log file that corresponds to that video? Thanks.

thegrunge
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Good question, are these Connect user connections or Direct user Connections?  My tests are Direct local user connections via remote access, will test Connect connection shortly.

@Happy2PlayIn my case these are not connect users.

thegrunge
1 hour ago, Luke said:

can you provide the log file that corresponds to that video? Thanks.

ok

Edited by thegrunge

thegrunge
1 hour ago, Luke said:

I need the main server log. thanks.

@LukeI send to you in private message.

Edited by thegrunge

Brendon

I can make a video up after work @Luke but there is nothing special needed to be done for it to happen, its just doing it, i have checked on Edge, Chrome, FF and Android, all do it.

I am running Windows Server 2016 if that helps narrow it down as compared to the others seeing it.

Happy2Play

Videos are good, but the issue still remains of being able to reproduce the issue.

Here's a question. If you were to just keep manually refreshing the page every few seconds, do you initially see everything correct?

The first thing we need to learn is if the server has the right data or not, so that will help us answer that.

Happy2Play

Could this be a cache issue?

Are there any browser console errors?

scott46953

I am willing to switch to beta to be a tester if needed.

I figured there was plenty of testers already so I uninstalled mine and went back to normal build.

Since I can switch between the two and have done several manual backups and copies including switching between devices android / windows/ linux /windows again without

any server loss...

Right now i am stuck updating, but i have all the same issues as everyone else...

here is my logembyserver-63757537464.txt

this was the 4th restart to attempt the latest update but failed.

Please restart the server to finish applying updates.

Version 4.6.0.50

checkEmby Server is up to date

Pending Installations

The following components have been installed or updated:

MBServer (4.6.1.0)

Brendon
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Here's a question. If you were to just keep manually refreshing the page every few seconds, do you initially see everything correct?

The first thing we need to learn is if the server has the right data or not, so that will help us answer that.

If i do that @Luke, i will see any current remote connections, the progress bars do not move, nor do the numerical timers, if i refresh again the info will update, so progress moves to current position and numerical status will change to show current time index but they still stay static and do not move, if i don't refresh they will disappear within a few minutes, i have witnessed them appear and reappear at times without doing anything as well. So to me yes the data is correct upon each refresh.

Now here's the kicker, if i start a stream within my LAN it will show on the dashboard correctly, both progress bar and timers show active progress BUT it will force all remote connections to vanish and the only way to see them again at all is to stop the LAN stream.

Brendon
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

I had thought of cache errors as well @Happy2Play, i cleaned and cleared everything on my main rig that i view the dashboard on, nothing changed. I also logged directly into the server and viewed the dashboard from there and still getting the same thing, i did not clear any caches etc.. on the server though, can try if you like.

Also as mentioned i have checked on all 3 main browsers and the android phone/tablet app for the same result as initially i though it may have been a browser issue.

xdwarfx
6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

My users are all using Connect users

xdwarfx
2 hours ago, Luke said:

I tried it and that does not work in my case

xdwarfx
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

good idea, i cleared Cache numereous times and tried different browsers but no go unfortunately

xdwarfx

So i just tested this;

I turned my Wifi off on my phone and logged in through 4G on my android phone.

I then went to my own user account and clicked on 'switch server'.

To my surprise i saw 2 servers with the same name.

I deleted one of them, logged into the other and voila i could see on my dashboard progress of the media when playing something.

Now i am not technical but can someone test this also? I dont know if it has anything to do with the issue we are experiencing but i thought i posted it...

Update; i tried with a remote user. They also saw 2 servers, deleted 1 and then we tried playing. Unfortunately the issue did not resolve.

Edited by xdwarfx

Brendon
2 hours ago, xdwarfx said:

So i just tested this;

I turned my Wifi off on my phone and logged in through 4G on my android phone.

I then went to my own user account and clicked on 'switch server'.

To my surprise i saw 2 servers with the same name.

I deleted one of them, logged into the other and voila i could see on my dashboard progress of the media when playing something.

Now i am not technical but can someone test this also? I dont know if it has anything to do with the issue we are experiencing but i thought i posted it...

Update; i tried with a remote user. They also saw 2 servers, deleted 1 and then we tried playing. Unfortunately the issue did not resolve through that

Tested this on my phone and did not see a second server, will check at home when i finish work in about 30mins.

UPDATE: I have no duplicate servers at all mate

Edited by Brendon

Brendon

@Luke @Happy2Play Here's a decent length video showing what i am seeing.

The first minute you can see active remote connections that are not showing active progress, i refresh a few times to show the data does actually update, just after the minute mark i start a local stream on one of my shields and all others vanish, local shows as it always has and is supposed to, i also refresh here a few times and you can see the remote connections appear briefly only to disappear again, i then stop the local stream but the dashboard stays empty, upon refreshing the remote connections appear once more.

I have also attached the log from roughly the same time i recorded that.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Brendon

rbjtech

Just to confirm I see this too - and it's been like it since a previous Beta.  I thought it was just my system so didn't report... (nor was I too fussed as an F5 refreshed the latest status anyway).

On a 2nd instance of the same server (the beta) - that works fine, so it's not the emby end clients nor the client which runs the Dashboard, it's something to do with the emby server itself.

I'll do some digging later on and do a comparison vs the working version. 

Edited by rbjtech

thegrunge
9 hours ago, Luke said:

@Lukewhen i refesh the page as seen in my video the reading time updates but remains static.  in the emby android application, to see the progress I will see in another tab in emby apps and I come back to the dashbord.

Edited by thegrunge

scott46953
6 hours ago, Brendon said:

If i do that @Luke, i will see any current remote connections, the progress bars do not move, nor do the numerical timers, if i refresh again the info will update, so progress moves to current position and numerical status will change to show current time index but they still stay static and do not move, if i don't refresh they will disappear within a few minutes, i have witnessed them appear and reappear at times without doing anything as well. So to me yes the data is correct upon each refresh.

Now here's the kicker, if i start a stream within my LAN it will show on the dashboard correctly, both progress bar and timers show active progress BUT it will force all remote connections to vanish and the only way to see them again at all is to stop the LAN stream.

NO the data never shows or is very quick on refresh.  Usually I click home, then i click dash then i see everything for .5 seconds and then gone.

some data stays and some gone.  i just noticed somehting tho... I had 2 streams when i sat down this morning from 2 users.

Then i started a test movie to see if dash disappears, went back to dash and it only shows me, closed the movie and reload the dash and the 2 users reappeard.

IT does not matter if i press refresh or close and reload the page, not sure if the issue is limited to 2-3 users but seems like it..

I also tested recorded tv and live tv same results, anything more then 2 and the first 2 users gone and the 3rd person only shows.

Riggs

The same happens when you execute a Scheduled Task, the bar sometimes stays in one place and does not refresh; or when changing a movie poster you have to refresh the page or Emby will never refresh it.
I have been noticing this long before the release of this version on the web interface. Emby does not autorefresh the content as it did before, I think that could be the problem.
I'm not sure if this has to do with the change that was made to the database or when it came to the issue of the amount of memory (the tests for the change from 64 to 256 and 512 that you guys made)
I think the problem is something in general with the interface, not something isolated with what has been discussed here.
I comment on this, because maybe it will help the developers to solve the problem.
Have a nice day

rbjtech

So I've had a very quick look at this using a file comparison tool and the executables are identical.  I haven't looked at the config files yet.

Attached are two fresh log files.  Both instances are run on the same server using different ports, same release, same client, playing the same media, same PC using the same browser for the dashboard.

no_rt_update - only displays an update on the dash when forced using F5, then static.

rt_update_ok - displays a realtime update just fine (every 2 secs).

Hopefully these may help diagnose the issue ?

no_rt_update.txt

rt_update_ok.txt

edit - to add the 'User Sessions' progress line DOES update in both instances.

Edited by rbjtech