Dashboard Active Devices are not very active and disappearing at times.

Brendon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

TheWERLD

My timer issues started after updating from 4.5.4.0 to 4.6.0.50.  I then upgraded to 4.6.1.0, hoping for a fix, but still no luck. Hope the version info is helpful. 

I'm currently using Emby from Google Chrome on Windows 10 and 99% of my movies are Direct Play. 

scott46953

I submited a log file of my server not upgrading however I noticed that my log settings was turned off?? but why was it making a log file?? 

Does turning on the log file add more information?  Or is it running while off due to an older bug?

Anyways i turned it on and plan on doing a couple of restarts shortly to see if anything has changed.  I'm still stuck on 4.6.0.50

while it says update to 4.6.1.0

Here is the log file, I just made of the update error...

Never mind,  today it took 2 restarts and now it finally updated.

So recap, 4 restarts yesterday morning and today 2 restarts and now its updated.

version=4.6.1.0

that my log settings was turned off?? but why was it making a log file?? 

@scott46953 we do not have any settings to completely turn off logging. What gave you this impression?

9 hours ago, Brendon said:

If i do that @Luke, i will see any current remote connections, the progress bars do not move, nor do the numerical timers, if i refresh again the info will update, so progress moves to current position and numerical status will change to show current time index but they still stay static and do not move, if i don't refresh they will disappear within a few minutes, i have witnessed them appear and reappear at times without doing anything as well. So to me yes the data is correct upon each refresh.

Now here's the kicker, if i start a stream within my LAN it will show on the dashboard correctly, both progress bar and timers show active progress BUT it will force all remote connections to vanish and the only way to see them again at all is to stop the LAN stream.

So in other words if you were to just sit there and keep hitting the refresh button, everything would look fine?

1 hour ago, Luke said:

@scott46953 we do not have any settings to completely turn off logging. What gave you this impression?

He might be thinking of the "Enable debug logging" switch in the Logs menu.

This switch just changes the amount of logging done but doesn't need to be in "debug" mode unless asked to do so.

1 minute ago, cayars said:

He might be thinking of the "Enable debug logging" switch in the Logs menu.

This switch just changes the amount of logging done but doesn't need to be in "debug" mode unless asked to do so.

Yes I know, that is obvious enough and what I expected, but I still asked because I wanted to hear the explanation from him.

Just now, Luke said:

Yes I know, that is obvious enough and what I expected, but I still asked because I wanted to hear the explanation from him.

Sorry. :)

scott46953
1 hour ago, Luke said:

my server has a off on for log in the log settings.

I remember reading something awhile back about the log still running in off mode if the server was restarted instead of shutting down.

example, ff logs still writing to log folder even when logs are off on server, sometimes taking up alot of space.

after long periods of time, since i got a big drive just for the server itself, i manually delete the logs completely after several weeks, sometimes a month. depending.

currently i just checked while sitting at the server and the log folder says, 774 files mostly ff and 6gb used.

dates from 5/22 up

most be from when i deleted it last? idk

Edited by scott46953

thegrunge

@Lukei update linux emby server to 4.6.1.0 and restart 2 times, but the problem is always présent.

thanks.

25 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

What exactly is the name of the option?

xdwarfx
1 hour ago, scott46953 said:

I remember reading something awhile back about the log still running in off mode if the server was restarted instead of shutting down.

example, ff logs still writing to log folder even when logs are off on server, sometimes taking up alot of space.

after long periods of time, since i got a big drive just for the server itself, i manually delete the logs completely after several weeks, sometimes a month. depending.

currently i just checked while sitting at the server and the log folder says, 774 files mostly ff and 6gb used.

dates from 5/22 up

most be from when i deleted it last? idk

With all respect but at the moment it is not clear to me what this has to do with the issue in this topic. I apologize if it is related, otherwise start your own topic as many people are waiting for a solution for the problem at hand. Thanks.

• Agree 1

thegrunge

@LukeIt's not urgent, but I like to understand why some transcodes with certain devices. It allows me to understand a lot of things. On the other hand, from the Emby Diagnostics plugin I can still the progress and see the reason for transcoding currently even with the bug present in the user sessions section. I added a video where we can see the progress.

Capture d’écran, le 2021-05-26 à 18.10.58.png

image.png

Edited by thegrunge

Brendon
7 hours ago, Luke said:

So in other words if you were to just sit there and keep hitting the refresh button, everything would look fine?

As long as i don't start a local stream, yes. This is actually shown in the video i posted last night.

Edited by Brendon

thegrunge

@LukeFor some reason I don't know, I left my dashboard open for a few minutes and when I came back to the screen I saw all the users live. when I did a refresh it disappeared. The funniest thing is that I was also listening to something...

Edited by thegrunge

thegrunge
On 5/26/2021 at 6:08 PM, thegrunge said:

@LukeIt's not urgent, but I like to understand why some transcodes with certain devices. It allows me to understand a lot of things. On the other hand, from the Emby Diagnostics plugin I can still the progress and see the reason for transcoding currently even with the bug present, in the user sessions section.

Capture d’écran, le 2021-05-26 à 18.10.58.png

It can be a clue, the dashbord does not work well but the plugin yes, I am on version 4.6.1.0

image.png

Edited by thegrunge

scott46953
10 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly is the name of the option?

This is not a main issue right now.

I guess the Dashboard is important... However, the log files are needed for fixing issues with Emby.

But when we dont have any current issues, it shouldnt be making log files when turned off.

It should temp turn on log file during an automatic update tho if possible, believe that would come handy in the future.

Enable debug logging

Debug logging should only be enabled as needed for troubleshooting purposes. The increased file system access may prevent the server machine from being able to sleep in some environments.
513 Logs

I dont see any big issues as the server is running just fine, just needs some tuning.
I'll keep watch on here, i'll jump in if i hear or see something.  The current issues are not bothering me or my users.
Keep up the good work. If you need anything just quote or ask. I'll try to keep up.

7 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

This is not a main issue right now.

I guess the Dashboard is important... However, the log files are needed for fixing issues with Emby.

But when we dont have any current issues, it shouldnt be making log files when turned off.

It should temp turn on log file during an automatic update tho if possible, believe that would come handy in the future.

Enable debug logging

Debug logging should only be enabled as needed for troubleshooting purposes. The increased file system access may prevent the server machine from being able to sleep in some environments.
513 Logs

I dont see any big issues as the server is running just fine, just needs some tuning.
I'll keep watch on here, i'll jump in if i hear or see something.  The current issues are not bothering me or my users.
Keep up the good work. If you need anything just quote or ask. I'll try to keep up.

Hi, turning off debug logging does not turn off logging altogether, but rather it just reduces the amount of information that is logged. I can promise you, there is no setting in Emby to complete turn off logging. That doesn't mean we can't add one, it just means there isn't one as of right now.

scott46953

Some DVR Recordings are stopping at 3 seconds...

Example The Masked Dinger Last night, I had to manually add it from off the web...

This morning so far i have found and deleted several programs at 3 seconds...

I dont remember reading about this but If i missed this issue, disregaurd.  I will dig into this deeper as the day goes...  Catching one when it does it is most important at this point.

Quad Tuner HDR Home Run and paid IPTV unlimited connections.  WIll narrow it down if limited to and possible causes if i can.

10 minutes ago, scott46953 said:

Some DVR Recordings are stopping at 3 seconds...

Example The Masked Dinger Last night, I had to manually add it from off the web...

This morning so far i have found and deleted several programs at 3 seconds...

I dont remember reading about this but If i missed this issue, disregaurd.  I will dig into this deeper as the day goes...  Catching one when it does it is most important at this point.

Quad Tuner HDR Home Run and paid IPTV unlimited connections.  WIll narrow it down if limited to and possible causes if i can.

Hi, Have you noticed a pattern such that the failed recordings all come from the m3u source?

Edited by cayars

scott46953
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Hi, Have you noticed a pattern such that the failed recordings all come from the m3u source?

Thats what i am trying to figure out now, but when i click on the latest recordings from the home screen and select a recording it doesnt take me to the recording anymore,

it takes me to the what do you want to play next of that recording. So it will take me longer as i will have to write down each one and inspect.

I used to be able to click each one, look at the time and back out, then go to the next...  this last update changed that.  I think it should go back to the original way.

Will do this today, but i just got called out... so hopefully within a few hours i will get more information... sorry

@scott46953 we're happy to help you, but please keep this on topic and open new tickets about topics that aren't related to this. Thanks !

Edrock200

For the folks experiencing this, are you by chance using a cdn like cloudflare? If so try turning off brotli and rocket loader enhancements 

xdwarfx
5 hours ago, Edrock200 said:

For the folks experiencing this, are you by chance using a cdn like cloudflare? If so try turning off brotli and rocket loader enhancements 

Good idea, i dont use Cloudflare CDN but i have turned off Safe Browsing in Chrome and also the option in Chrome to use a secure DNS. Maybe that has something to do with it but i have to wait untill a remote client plays something. Maybe someone else can try this before i am able to give a status update.

Update: I tried this with 2 remote users and unfortunately it did not solve the issue.

@Luke do you also have enough information in the entire topic to start diving into this issue? Thanks

Edited by xdwarfx