Dashboard Active Devices are not very active and disappearing at times.

Brendon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

thegrunge

I restarted the server and it's really the new version that is causing this problem.

Thanks

thegrunge

I am on linux and I observe the same problem in the dashbord since the update. Even the beta version has the same concerns.

thegrunge

@Happy2Play  Indeed I had not seen that a subject had been launched on this subject, it seems to be
the same problem.

thank you

thegrunge

Like Brendon I noticed, when you listen to something locally you can see the time passing by. On the other hand, if this is the case, what is read remotely disappears as soon as we update the dashbords page. So the only way to see what is playing remotely is to not watch anything locally.

Edited by thegrunge

xdwarfx
2 hours ago, thegrunge said:

Like Brendon I noticed, when you listen to something locally you can see the time passing by. On the other hand, if this is the case, what is read remotely disappears as soon as we update the dashbords page. So the only way to see what is playing remotely is to not watch anything locally.

I can confirm this is also the case with me.

Brendon

Just advising that this is still happening in 4.6.1.0

Right now I'm a little unclear on how to reproduce. I've tried the local/remote scenario as described but did bl not see the problem. I think this probably requires a specific set of conditions in order to be observed. Can you please provide a little more information? Thanks.

thegrunge

@LukeI did the test with family members who are added to my server. this is where the problem occurs. if I do the test with my own account, but remotely and observe the result from a web browser, I see the time running as if I were local. So this is a problem with members who have access to the server.

I will make a video to show you the problem this afternoon

Edit: This is an exemple video

Edited by thegrunge

ebps01

Agora ficou ruim não dá para saber que está online na dashboard, os usuários desapareceram depois de 10 segundos despois da atualização, é quando os usurários aparecem, fica estática os cronometrados de porcentagem dos filmes 

xdwarfx
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Right now I'm a little unclear on how to reproduce. I've tried the local/remote scenario as described but did bl not see the problem. I think this probably requires a specific set of conditions in order to be observed. Can you please provide a little more information? Thanks.

@Luke all the users in this topic who have this issue send you server logs (i hope). Were you and your collegues able to find anything strange in them?

For me even with a fresh install of Emby this problem exists where with previous versions this was not the case.

So clearly something happened during update or in the latest version which is not outside related, as there have been no Windows updates. I am running a small dedicated Emby / Plex server for myself and family/friends.

1 minute ago, xdwarfx said:

@Luke all the users in this topic who have this issue send you server logs (i hope). Were you and your collegues able to find anything strange in them?

For me even with a fresh install of Emby this problem exists where with previous versions this was not the case.

So clearly something happened during update or in the latest version which is not outside related, as there have been no Windows updates. I am running a small dedicated Emby / Plex server for myself and family/friends.

Right but I also need more detailed discussion of the scenario, for example: I started the server and I did X on device A at 2:05pm, and I observed B showing up on the server dashboard. Then I did Y on device C at 2:07pm and I observed D showing up on the server dashboard when I had expected to see E instead.

xdwarfx
24 minutes ago, Luke said:

Right but I also need more detailed discussion of the scenario, for example: I started the server and I did X on device A at 2:05pm, and I observed B showing up on the server dashboard. Then I did Y on device C at 2:07pm and I observed D showing up on the server dashboard when I had expected to see E instead.

I started the server and did nothing else. The Server is constantly running and everytime a remote client logs in and decides to play media, the issue occurs.

Unfortunately I am technically not savvy enough to understand logs and as this happens with all remote users who login, it should not be difficult for you to see the detailed information you are requesting.

1 minute ago, xdwarfx said:

I am technically not savvy enough to understand logs

Hi, that's OK, you don't need to be. What I'm asking for is the kind of description I mentioned above so that I can understand the sequences of what both you and your users were doing. Then I can review the log activity during those specific times. The log files are great for spotting obvious errors, but they do not contain a list of every single thing that you did or that you clicked on. So for a more difficult problem such as this, the logs ideally need to be paired some kind of detailed discussion of the scenario. So that's why I'm trying to work together with you on this. Thanks.

xdwarfx
44 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, that's OK, you don't need to be. What I'm asking for is the kind of description I mentioned above so that I can understand the sequences of what both you and your users were doing. Then I can review the log activity during those specific times. The log files are great for spotting obvious errors, but they do not contain a list of every single thing that you did or that you clicked on. So for a more difficult problem such as this, the logs ideally need to be paired some kind of detailed discussion of the scenario. So that's why I'm trying to work together with you on this. Thanks.

Ok, thank for explaining :)

So i will give you chronologic order of things;

I updated to the latest version (which was 50 and not 51 at that time) by downloading the setup. I first clicked shut down emby server, after that i right clicked on the downloaded setup file and chose to open as administrator.

Then it downloaded the latest version and installed it.

Then i went into my dashboard, clicked shutdown server again and restarted my computer.

After that i opened the dashboard and looked if everything was ok. I noticed some things were off in the libraries (especially the movies) so i decided to do a complete uninstall of everything. Because i have Premiere i used the plugin for backup emby.

After the fresh install i went through installation process. Typed in my premiere key and used the backup plugin to only restore the users. So only the users and not their playlists etc.

Then in the user tab i made sure every user was connected through Emby Connect by typing in their emailadress so they would have easy access again.

Then i rebuild all my libraries.

When that was done i checked everything to see there were no errors and i let the remote users know it was ok to use emby again.

Then they started login again (some had to choose my server again and their password) and i have not touched it since. Except for finding out the issue.

Is this information ok for you?

thegrunge
On 5/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, thegrunge said:

@LukeI did the test with family members who are added to my server. this is where the problem occurs. if I do the test with my own account, but remotely and observe the result from a web browser, I see the time running as if I were local. So this is a problem with members who have access to the server.

Edited by thegrunge
  • Like 1

skooogis

I have the same issue.. The dashboard doesnt "update" so when someone playing something the playback timer stays static.. And they disappear from dashboard.

See attached video..

Happy2Play

From a browser standpoint I am not seeing any issue with Remote connections displaying proper playback and updating.

I connect to a remote server and dashboard updates accordingly (I see playback update every 2-3 seconds).

xdwarfx
4 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

From a browser standpoint I am not seeing any issue with Remote connections displaying proper playback and updating.

I connect to a remote server and dashboard updates accordingly (I see playback update every 2-3 seconds).

I'm happy you dont have any issues with this. Unfortunately the others in this topic (myself included) do have this issue and i sincerely hope Luke and the team can find out why this is happening, so it can be solved asap.

Just now, xdwarfx said:

I'm happy you dont have any issues with this. Unfortunately the others in this topic (myself included) do have this issue and i sincerely hope Luke and the team can find out why this is happening, so it can be solved asap.

Yea I'm not doubting your issue, I'm just saying I think it requires specific circumstances to create.

Happy2Play

Everyone needs to provide logs also as saying I have the same issue never works out.

Also is this all clients or specific clients?

Tested with browser and ET 3.0.15 updating every 2 seconds (don't know variable to reproduce problem)

Edited by Happy2Play

8 hours ago, thegrunge said:

Edit: This is an exemple video

Enregistrement d’écran, le 2021-05-25 à 12.19.41.mov

Are those users actually playing at that time? Like for instance at the 40 second mark in the video, the firestick and apple tv users, were they actively playing at that moment?

xdwarfx
11 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Everyone needs to provide logs also as saying I have the same issue never works out.

Also is this all clients or specific clients?

Tested with browser and ET 3.0.15 updating every 2 seconds (don't know variable to reproduce problem)

Luke has received at least 2 server logs from what i can read in the replies in this post.

This is for all clients.

xdwarfx
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Are those users actually playing at that time? Like for instance at the 40 second mark in the video, the firestick and apple tv users, were they actively playing at that moment?

I can confirm that in my case the clients are activly playing. However i can not answer for the others of course but looking at their videos, their clients are also activly playing.