Folder sync: The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.

MBSki

MBSki

I'm trying to add a path to my WD EX2 Ultra NAS, but when adding a folder other than the default Public folder, I get "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." The folder I'm mapping to is setup exactly the same as the Public folder. Anyone know why I can't map to a different folder other than Public? Is there some configuration I need to do on the NAS so the Folder Sync plug-in can map to new folders/shares?  

MBSki

I forgot to mention that I'm setting up Folder Sync from my PC Emby Server to the WD NAS. I'm also using the nssm service to run Emby, which may be interfering since I don't have a problem adding a path to the WD NAS from my beta instance which is NOT using the nssm service.  

MBSki

I think I got this working now. Seems like I just needed to reboot the WD NAS.

• Like 1

MBSki

Yep, I got it working. Posted another thread though about how I can configure the folder creation on the other side. It creates folders for every single individual item. Seems a bit much. Any way to configure it?

No as it's an Emby managed repository of converted media used to stream to clients vs needing to transcode.

If what you want is an actual backup you would be best off scripting this with xcopy using the archive bit to look for new media.

MBSki

Ok, no problem. As long as Emby is managing it I guess it's fine. It's just a really weird way to save files. I don't see any reason for creating a folder for every single file. Maybe that's a tweak that Luke can make in a future version.

Just a heads up. Be careful in the name you give the repository as it shows up like this:
image.png.d78f46c2595603dd753d28c396804b7b.png

So for example if you wanted to create a MOBILE version of files that would be the ideal name to use when setting up the plugin's "Download Location".
As you can see in the above picture, using an arbitrary name that makes complete sense to me as the ADMIN would not make any sense to a user.

But had I choose "Mobile Version" as the name of my repository then it would be clear to all users there is the normal version and a Mobile Version.

So think about the names you use and try to match that up with the Conversion task used so it makes sense when shown above!

Edited by cayars

MBSki

Ok, thanks. I think I'm using it for a little bit of a different purpose though. I'm trying to disconnect my last TiVo, but wanted a backup just in case my main Emby Server went down. So, I'm using folder sync to copy media over to the WD EX2 Ultra NAS that I just got. Frankly, the folder sync is a really useful tool for that purpose. Now the only thing I need is the new Live TV update so we can track down why the DVR freezes when watching the Super Bowl in progress and skipping a lot of ads. That's literally the only thing I'm keeping my TiVo for now. 😅  

I'm not sure this is the tool you want to use for that purpose.  Keep in mind you're creating a new version of the file meant for compatible download.

Folder Sync isn't really meant to be a "backup" per say.

MBSki

Do you have a different suggestion? The folder sync actually works pretty well, although I know it's not going to work well with playlists.

MBSki
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Backup software or DOS XCOPY command?

I actually think Folder sync works better. I want it to operate on it's own and create the files/folders in a reasonable structure. Backup software has a mind of it's own and creates a crazy structure. I'll look around, but might just stick with Folder sync.

Xcopy will mimic exactly the folder structure you're already using using the correct switches.

The question really is do you want an original AND converted version available for use OR just the original version and a backup?

MBSki
Just now, cayars said:

Xcopy will mimic exactly the folder structure you're already using using the correct switches.

The question really is do you want an original AND converted version available for use OR just the original version and a backup?

Just the original. So, you're suggesting a batch file with xcopy commands that kicks off every night? 

Hmmm, seems like there's gotta be a GUI program that I could use to do that. I'll hunt, but for now I like the ability to manage everything through Emby, especially since it allows me to only copy unwatched shows and has the ability to limit how many I move over. I only have a small hard drive in the NAS so I can't actually copy everything. 

Try looking at one of the movies you've synced/downloaded to using folder sync.
You'll likely see 2 versions of it now like in the picture I posted above.

That's what I've been wanting you to understand that it's not just another file but Emby is using it for another purpose than what you might have had in mind.
If you understand that and find that fine, great, but I just want you to understand what it's doing.

As an example you first run a command (if needed) to set the archive bit of all files, but if never backed up yet will likely not need touching.  Then once a hour/day/week you run a scheduled take.  You can tweek xcopy command line but a couple of examples:

xcopy  source  destination  /M /E /G /H /Y
Xcopy  D:\Data  Z:\Backup  /M /E /G /H /Y

This one uses archive attributes of files to distinguish files that have changed since the time last back up was taken. /M switch turns off the archive attribute on the files after copying the file to the destination. If anything changes the file the archive bit will get reset and xcopy will back it up again during the next run.

xcopy source destination /E /G /H /Y /D:mm-dd-yy

You can also use the "D" parameter to set a specific time to backup up from but not as easy to use in a schedule.

The beauty in my eyes of using XCOPY like this is that the files are OS readable and just an exact copy.  No special software needed.  If you "BREAK" or stop the execution it's only one file interrupted and the copy wasn't made nore the archive bit flipped so the next time it's ran it just starts where it left off so to speak.

You can xcopy to network drives as well as local drives which makes it nice and friendly.  You of course can change the command line used to better fit your system as there are a few options.

For media files I much prefer this over typical backup utils but that's just me.

But if you have "special needs" like only wanting to backup unwatched shows I'm not sure either will work long term as once they are watched they won't disappear from the synced backup.  I've got no ideas for this besides doing some scripting.

MBSki
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Try looking at one of the movies you've synced/downloaded to using folder sync.
You'll likely see 2 versions of it now like in the picture I posted above.

That's what I've been wanting you to understand that it's not just another file but Emby is using it for another purpose than what you might have had in mind.
If you understand that and find that fine, great, but I just want you to understand what it's doing.

My WD NAS is a completely clean server. I have nothing on it EXCEPT the syncs. So, no, there aren't 2 versions. Plus I'm selecting original as the sync option.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

But if you have "special needs" like only wanting to backup unwatched shows I'm not sure either will work long term as once they are watched they won't disappear from the synced backup.  I've got no ideas for this besides doing some scripting.

Yes, I only want to backup unwatched. If I have to clean up every once in a while, that's fine.

OK, just spot check some of these movie/shows to make sure you aren't seeing multiple files listed (if you don't want that).

We've covered everything I wanted you to be aware of, so you're empowered to go forth and multiply your files now.  LOL

I hope this does work out for you!

MBSki

@cayars Ok, Ive got a question. 😁 I synced a 4k movie to the WD NAS and only the 1080p version was moved. If I have multiple versions in my source library is there any logic to determine which should be moved? I picked original version, so I would think the top quality version would be taken, but that didn't happen.

In the same way as playback when you select your conversion quality, it will use the version closest to that. When you force original though, there isn't the ability to select which original so you may find that to be a bit random. It's something we can look at adding more control over in future updates.

MBSki

@Luke That doesn't seem to work. It keeps converting the file even if I use custom and original quality. I guess that's what it's supposed to do though. More control over original would be good, but easy enough for me to just manually copy those files instead. 

MBSki
7 hours ago, cayars said:

as once they are watched they won't disappear from the synced backup.  I've got no ideas for this besides doing some scripting.

I just tested this and they actually DO disappear from the synced backup. Nice!!

6 hours ago, mbarylski said:

I just tested this and they actually DO disappear from the synced backup. Nice!!

I'm not sure why I wrote that to be honest.  I was probably thinking something else but went in another direction when writing. The "FolderSync" is going to work the same way as if you synced to Google or Dropbox via plugin as these are all "download to" locations.

I've never synced or "download to" based on watch status before so that's interesting. That to me would make it less than perfect for "backup" purposes.  What happens if you "accidentally" delete one of these non-watched movies?  Emby is going to sync this up and remove your folderSync version since it no longer matches your criteria correct? If so is that good or bad for your use case?

This is such an unusual use of "download to" we're all learning in the process. :)

FolderSync to me is awesome for doing things like setting up criteria to auto convert based on filters such as container or video codecs, etc that could be problematic for some older clients or just for creating other versions of new media added or blockbuster new releases where you typically might get multiple people playing these back (so you prepare ahead of time other versions that will direct play).

MBSki
2 hours ago, cayars said:

I've never synced or "download to" based on watch status before so that's interesting. That to me would make it less than perfect for "backup" purposes.  What happens if you "accidentally" delete one of these non-watched movies?  Emby is going to sync this up and remove your folderSync version since it no longer matches your criteria correct? If so is that good or bad for your use case?

For my use case it's perfect. I'm not using it as a backup. I do a full backup on different disks. It's mainly a "disaster recovery" solution. So if my main server goes down or I'm working on upgrading my main server, I still have a server available to watch some shows/movies and stream music. The Folder Sync only seems to work for tv shows though, but that's my main challenge anyways since there's always new episodes and I'm always watching episodes. So using the unwatched filter works perfect as it's constantly updating so the NAS will be ready to go if my main server is unavailable.