Is it possible to recover settings that got overwritten by new install

psubsee2002

psubsee2002

I just tried to update Media Browser Server, and in the act of doing so, I must have inadvertently not upgraded correctly as I have lost everything and am dealing with a free installation.

So my first question is it possible to find and reload the prior settings?

And secondly, it is possible to add a warning to prevent it from happening.

-------------------------

My setup consists of running MB Server as a Windows Service on Windows Server 2013 in a virtualized setting.

I was trying to install MB Theater on an old laptop I am trying to repurpose as a secondary HTPC.  When I installed it I was prompted to upgrade MB Server, so rather than going back to my server, I just remoted in from my laptop and logged in as my own admin login, which is different than the login I normally use for that server.

I also was rushed so rather than waiting for the update process, I just downloaded the new version and installed it.  Once it was installed was when I realized I had lost all of my prior setting.

Obviously this is my own doing (at least I think it was my fault) since I didn't follow the normal procedure, I didn't expect it to be so easy to completely blow out the previous settings.

psubsee2002

Ok, so I solved my own problem.  I found that the settings are stored in the `AppData/Roaming` directory of the user folder for the user that installed it.  Since I had tried to update using a different user than I originally installed it, the update basically reinstalled MB Server for that user from scratch.  Since my other user account had the old settings, I simply reinstalled the update using the correct login and my original settings reappeared.  The "crisis" was averted, but it still leaves the feature request to prompt for this.  I am assuming that the installation checks for previous installations, so if it finds one without anything in the appropriate AppData folder and/or configuration, could there possibly be a prompt?

No, we don't really check for previous installations and most updates are handled by the internal update process so this is never an issue.  Also, the exact situation you had should be even more rare as we do install the server into the first Admin user and there is usually only one.

I'm not sure what kind of prompt we would have though... "Warning, this is a new installation" doesn't really sound right.