4k Remux playback issues on Nvidia Shield TV

ajr30

rbjtech
34 minutes ago, ebr said:

So, perhaps the best route forward would be to simply remove the option as it is just further complications for no benefit.

Has any investigation taken place beyond the initial beta patch ?

To me, It would seem rather premature to remove a valid and useful function for the emby enthusiast based on your view that it has 'no benefit'.

If it is removed, this is a large backwards step for the best Emby Client imo ..

Edited by rbjtech

6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

a valid and useful function

So far all reports are that it provides no benefit and maybe even is worse than the standard delivery method.  If that proves to be the case, removing the option is the best thing to do. 

FrostByte

It used to be instant startup for me before SE9.  Quicker than HTTP and playback was smoother with extremely high bitrate material and 60fps movies. 

Now it takes 60+ seconds to even start.  Once it starts playback is good though

• Like 1

CBers
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

It used to be instant startup for me before SE9.  Quicker than HTTP and playback was smoother with extremely high bitrate material and 60fps movies. 

Does playback start quicker if using an external player such as VLC?

Just curious.

rbjtech
Just now, FrostByte said:

Mine started faster too - a LOT faster on my old hardware - meaning that it is hardware dependent problem.    I highly doubt a low powered emby server would have the cpu to do the HLS conversion, but would work perfectly well via SMB.

Other advantages are I can control/administer the SMB session with a service account and other benefits such as use SMB 3.0 with encryption for example.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, CBers said:

Just curious.

For me - VLC/X-Plore is instant via SMB.

FrostByte
11 minutes ago, CBers said:

Just curious.

VLC is instant by itself but took 45 seconds to start as an external player with ATV vs 64 seconds for the same movie and Exoplayer.  Previously before SE9 VLC would start instantly as an external player.

FrostByte
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Mine started faster too - a LOT faster on my old hardware - meaning that it is hardware dependent problem.    I highly doubt a low powered emby server would have the cpu to do the HLS conversion, but would work perfectly well via SMB.

Other advantages are I can control/administer the SMB session with a service account and other benefits such as use SMB 3.0 with encryption for example.

Agree, the benefits would be greater for people with lower end servers like those running Emby server on a NAS like myself.

Audiomixer
29 minutes ago, ebr said:

So far all reports are that it provides no benefit and maybe even is worse than the standard delivery method.  If that proves to be the case, removing the option is the best thing to do. 

When I said http was faster, I’m talking approx 3 vs 5 seconds. I think it wise to keep that option there and not only that, i would like to see that expanded to include a “test” button to check if the path is operational and correct. @FrostByte had a great idea on this posted in the feature requests section.

Same for me on instant start for VLC and xplore and kodi on smb. 

16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Agree, the benefits would be greater for people with lower end servers like those running Emby server on a NAS like myself.

Yes exactly. And we know the server on shield is also rather limited. A direct path here has shown its benefits in the past and can be useful in the future as well.

43 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I highly doubt a low powered emby server would have the cpu to do the HLS conversion, but would work perfectly well via SMB.

HLS is not involved in this situation.

17 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

A direct path here has shown its benefits in the past

The past is the past.  So far, people with the new version of Android are reporting that the issues solved by the direct path in the past are no longer issues.  So, there is no reason to offer an option that is potentially confusing and hard to setup (thus causing us more support load) for no benefit.

So, if it turns out the former issues are no longer an issue using http, then we don't need or want this option.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

HLS is not involved in this situation.

The past is the past.  So far, people with the new version of Android are reporting that the issues solved by the direct path in the past are no longer issues.  So, there is no reason to offer an option that is potentially confusing and hard to setup (thus causing us more support load) for no benefit.

So, if it turns out the former issues are no longer an issue using http, then we don't need or want this option.

Even if you drop Direct Access can you take a look at external players?  It's takes 45 seconds to start now vs instant startup before SE9 and also VLC starts instant when using smb stand alone

I can provide logs if you can't duplicate this.

I have a couple Extended movies with glitches in the audio which VLC can recover from, but Exoplayer doesn't causing it to fall behind.  Thanks

30 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So are there any clients left using this library configuration ?

image.png.8dc71c9264a38b2d3167de6e525c6fe9.png

Yes, Theater desktop but that brings up another problem with this option.  There is only one of those fields and it is quite likely that the value you need to fill in for Theater will be different from the one required from Android.

rbjtech
35 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Even if you drop Direct Access can you take a look at external players?  It's takes 45 seconds to start now vs instant startup before SE9 and also VLC starts instant when using smb stand alone

Interesting - as I just tested VLC and Explore as External Players and they play it immediately - faster than Exo does - but both are using HTTP.

However, I had to turn off 'Direct File' in the playback options - if I left this on, then VLC would not play at all - it errored reporting what looks to be a badly formed request (too many slashes after file: ?)

image.png.a589f3c982b1ac03fbc343c480a03fa2.png

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, Theater desktop but that brings up another problem with this option.  There is only one of those fields and it is quite likely that the value you need to fill in for Theater will be different from the one required from Android.

It should be UNC no ?  \\SERVER\Share 

2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I just tested VLC and Explore as External Players and they play it immediately - faster than Exo does - but both are using HTTP.

More evidence...

rbjtech
1 minute ago, ebr said:

More evidence...

But not has fast as Emby did with Direct File. 😜

This is not about how fast it plays, it's about taking unnecessary load off the emby server and all the other reasons I've mentioned above.

To note - Both External players do not work with DV - so Emby/Exo has that going for it.

Both VLC and X-Plore play a file via SMB instantly - 0 second delay...  

• Agree 1

Audiomixer

On the contrary, it is not more evidence.

In VLC the mount point on my nas is “media” and in VLC I show folders but no files. Under network I show two diskstations, one lower case, the other upper case. I didn’t log into them as the first mount point should show up. I killed VLC, deleted data, uninstalled, reinstalled and ran it. It  asked for permission to allow VLC to access photos and media. I said allow. And then said start VLC. Another pop up “new external storage detected, do you want VLC to add device media to your media library?” I responded yes. Then went to “browsing” and my mount point “media”. Folders, no files. Went to Emby (set vlc as external player) and tried to play dune. No go. See screen cap below and bottom screen cap. Thought I would check VLC permissions. There are three choices. A new install of VLC sets permissions to “allow only while using the app.” This does not work. Setting permissions to “allow all the time” now populates the files. See next (middle) screen cap. Going back to Emby to play dune. From the time I push play to when vid starts to play, 1-2 seconds.

If Ebr would add “allow all the time”, pass direct path will probably work, I’m sure of it.

709D542D-13FA-46BC-9687-0D4D8E31AD0A.jpeg

CDCB58E6-7B79-43CF-8731-AA27B3724FE9.jpeg

4663F6E1-3D20-4131-A2EB-B18E46C65ED3.jpeg

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

On the contrary, it is not more evidence.

It is more evidence that the feature is not really needed in the app.

I'm sure there will be a very small subset of users who still want it because there is always a subset that wants all kinds of things but, if HTTP performs exactly as well then it becomes not worth trying to maintain and support this option.

Audiomixer

Completely disagree.The feature is already there. Isn’t removing it from atv and all server code more difficult? I sure would like to see it work again. 

Edited by Audiomixer

Audiomixer

@ebr @FrostByte@rbjtech@CBers

Now, I just stumbled onto something! So I have in the nas server the optional path set for all my movies. VLC is properly mounted. Emby has pass through on for direct file.

Here is the interesting part now. If I Try to play a tv program via external player NOT pathed out in the server under optional shared network folder, I get file not found or basically like the messages in my previous screen shots I posted earlier when it could not play the file.
If I go to the server and fill out the optional shared network folder for tv programs and then try to play a tv program via external player…oh wow, it now works. Try it yourself.

Bottom line it appears that if this feature is removed (especially from the server code) using external player such as VLC will no longer work. It is obvious that more will be damaged by this removal than just fixing it. This is, after all all an android 11 feature.

Oh, and btw while http takes 8 seconds to start play, with external player it is instantaneous.

Edited by Audiomixer

FrostByte
17 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

@ebr @FrostByte@rbjtech@CBers

Now, I just stumbled onto something! So I have in the nas server the optional path set for all my movies. VLC is properly mounted. Emby has pass through on for direct file.

Here is the interesting part now. If I Try to play a tv program via external player NOT pathed out in the server under optional shared network folder, I get file not found or basically like the messages in my previous screen shots I posted earlier when it could not play the file.
If I go to the server and fill out the optional shared network folder for tv programs and then try to play a tv program via external player…oh wow, it now works. Try it yourself.

Bottom line it appears that if this feature is removed (especially from the server code) using external player such as VLC will no longer work. It is obvious that more will be damaged by this removal than just fixing it. This is, after all all an android 11 feature.

Oh, and btw while http takes 8 seconds to start play, with external player it is instantaneous.

Seeing the same.  I can't get VLC to work as external player unless I also use direct access.  I sent logs to ebr earlier at about ~640 and 643 EST user Rick.  The first was w/o smb and the second with.  

• Agree 1

rbjtech

@Audiomixer I'm not sure I'm fully following your latest investigation.

I think my behaviour is the opposite of yours & @FrostByte

If I select 'use External Player' and unselect 'Direct Play' - then I can play from Emby via VLC/X-PLore just fine - it's quick (1-2 secs) and it is using HTTP - it is not a SMB connection.

If I enable 'Direct Play' - then I get the error as per my post above. https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/94968-4k-remux-playback-issues-on-nvidia-shield-tv/&do=findComment&comment=1108733

To note - VLC did not work at all until I uninstalled/reinstalled it (and gave permissions for it to use the mounted storage) - this was AFTER Emby was installed.   The install order may have something to do with it ?

If using the native Apps - Both VLC/X-Plore play the file directly via SMB (instantly, no delay at all).

Edited by rbjtech