4k Remux playback issues on Nvidia Shield TV

ajr30

jrwalte

That must explain why I stopped having issues. Back in May 2020 I'd constantly have skipping issues for my 4k movies over Shield Pro. Typically a reboot of the Shield would solve it. I had then moved and didn't get my HT set up until Dec 2020, and ever since I never had a skipping issue again. I guess I never noticed any start delay because my screen is always going black changing its mode to the native res/HDR. By the time the screen came back the movie was already started.

11 hours ago, rbjtech said:

the key reason was performance on a Windows system was being throttled by the emby HTTP server thus high bitrate 4K > 50Mbit were pausing every few seconds

• 10 months later...

I too am having issues with large file playback, I cannot seem to get this to work, always shows as HTTP in the playback stats, I am wondering with mapping the TNAS to the shield, the shiel sees the NAS, can mount it, logged in and it shows the shared folders, but from there I cannot explore the folders, not sure if that is normal,  am wondering if my issue is that I am only sharing the parent folder, not the sub folders within.  Any thoughts

FrostByte

I don't think it's correct.  With my NAS shared folders mounted on my Shield I can use a file manager app like X-plore and explore all files and folders.  I can even edit text files, play media, etc using X-plore.  

On my Synology NAS I only have the one top folder shared.  All my library folders underneath the share (Movies, TV Shows, etc) aren't shared and are just plain folders

File access worked great for me until SE9 update on the Shield.  It appears to be broken now in SE9 though according to the other discussion going on.

FrostByte
3 minutes ago, mpg732 said:

I do not have that option for EMBY

It's not in ATV, only the standard Emby app and other file manager type apps which needed it to explore files/folders. 

You shouldn't need that option (at least not before SE9) to get file access in ATV.  However, if you can't explore your follders in other apps like X-plore then you probably won't get File access to work either.

FrostByte
2 hours ago, mpg732 said:

but like you said broken for version 9

I get File access again now using beta .63.  You do need to set the newly added Shield app permissions first though.

So installed the latest version, set the permissions for the app, and still no go, attached image is how I have the server library path set, does pay the movies, when you mapped the NAS in the shield, did you manually map it or did you just see your NAS in the list, select it, signed in and that's it, or am I missing a step?  Not sure what I am overlooking?  Another thing is on the shield when I mount the NAS it will not allow me to log in with my admin account, I have to use a guest account, though did set the permission to the same

Untitled.png

Edited by mpg732

FrostByte

I'm running Emby server on my Synology and have my folders setup like the pic below.

embyfolders.jpg.699ef5b9630b4290a3330ec93901033d.jpg

When I mapped my NAS storage on the Shield I used an account with admin privileges (though not my actual 'admin' account).  However, it should still work with any account that has read/write to your shares.

There is a kb.  Check that out and see if anything might help.

Shield TV Direct File Access : Emby

Did you load the Hotfix for Android 11?  That fixed some access issues and I loaded that before ATV was patched so it may have helped.

You may also want to follow the SE9 thread.  Lots of talk of using direct file access, though I think I'm the only one who has it somewhat working on Android 11 so far.

Audiomixer

I just submitted logs on this myself and that is with hotfix applied.

Edited by Audiomixer

2 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

I just submitted logs on this myself and that is with hotfix applied.

You are still getting permission denied.  You went to the Android settings->apps->Emby->permissions and turned on "File Access"?

rbjtech

I don't have the 'Storage' Permission - I'm using beta .63 with the latest hotfix.

I only have ''Files and media' the same as the screen grab above.

Also to note - all the other apps that do have SMB access also have 'Files and media' only - I've not seen a 'Storage' permission for any app.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1