4k Remux playback issues on Nvidia Shield TV

ajr30

FrostByte

According to nVidia Files and media is the new permissions option on the Shield

Unable to use file management software after upgrading to Android 11 | NVIDIA (custhelp.com)

Android 11 includes a new permission system to allow file access to apps.  Many apps have not yet adopted the new system.  To allow file permission manually for these apps go to Settings -> Apps ->  [File management app] -> Permissions and enable “Files and Media” access for the app. If you see permission options to "Allow while using this app" and "Allow all the time", select "Allow all the time".

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

Audiomixer

Interesting. Xplore has allow and don’t allow. VLC has 3 choices. Allow all the time, allow only while using the app, and don’t allow. Emby has allow only while using the app, and don’t allow.

For what it’s worth.

• Like 1

Audiomixer

@ebr

@rbjtech @FrostByte So my query with nvidia yielded nothing helpful.  Basically if VLC and xplore can see and execute files fine using the smb2 calls, then there is a permissions issue outstanding yet to be addressed with Emby.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FrostByte
23 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

@ebr

@rbjtech @FrostByte So my query with nvidia yielded nothing helpful.  Basically if VLC and xplore can see and execute files fine using the smb2 calls, then there is a permissions issue outstanding yet to be addressed with Emby.

VLC and X-plore have the option to always access the mounts on my Shield.  ATV and the standard app only have the option to access while using the app.  

I wonder if Emby needs Always also.

Maybe it's a permissions problem when passing off to Exoplayer?   

Audiomixer
7 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

VLC and X-plore have the option to always access the mounts on my Shield.  ATV and the standard app only have the option to access while using the app.  

I wonder if Emby needs Always also.

Maybe it's a permissions problem when passing off to Exoplayer?   

Actually that’s not quite accurate. Xplore has 2 choices according to my shield, allow and don’t allow. VLC has 3 choices. Allow all the time, allow only while using the app, and don’t allow.

Good question though.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Okay then there must be 4 options and not 3 like nvidia forums suggested

1. Allow
  2. Allow all the time
  3. Allow only when using the app
  4. Don't allow

ATV and ET use the 3rd option.  VLC and X-plore use one of the top two

• Agree 1

Audiomixer
15 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Okay then there must be 4 options and not 3 like nvidia forums suggested

1. Allow
  2. Allow all the time
  3. Allow only when using the app
  4. Don't allow

ATV and ET use the 3rd option.  VLC and X-plore use one of the top two

Yes, that appears to be accurate.

rbjtech

It was interesting post the factory reset - because on installing the Apps for the first time (ie not an 'upgrade') -  VLC for example asked for many permissions - from memory 6 or 7 for each area of the local storage , X-Plore didn't (and when loaded has an error shown), you only get to see local storage if you add the permission yourself but as soon as you do, the shares instantly show up and are accessible.   

When Emby (.63 beta) was installed for the first time - it asked for nothing.

So personally I'm with your thoughts, I think Emby needs further work to ask for (and keep) the relevant permissions.

We know emby is requesting SMB access, as we can clearly see it in the packet traces - so I'm reasonably confident this is just an Android 11 permission issue.  

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

FrostByte

I believe @Audiomixer has server running on a test Shield

Looking at the thread below it seems like after loading the hotfix they were able to get Emby server running, but lost all their metadata in the process

But I'm looking for a situation where the server can access the same locations from the same device that the TV app is having trouble with.

• Like 1

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, ebr said:

But I'm looking for a situation where the server can access the same locations from the same device that the TV app is having trouble with.

@ebr @FrostByte Yes, the server on shield can access those localtions.

• Like 1

Not yet. I'll investigate further in the next week.  It isn't a critical function for the app so not at the top of my list right now.

rbjtech
7 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

@ebr@rbjtech@FrostByte Curious if there was anything new on this pass direct path?

Not that I'm aware of.

HTTP works perfectly fine for me now, even on ~100Mbit/sec 4K Remux's. 

So while it would be nice to get direct FILE playback returning - It's not a big deal for me personally atm.

I'm still curious why @FrostByte is the chosen one however .. 🤣

• Haha 1

Audiomixer
11 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Not that I'm aware of.

HTTP works perfectly fine for me now, even on ~100Mbit/sec 4K Remux's. 

So while it would be nice to get direct FILE playback returning - It's not a big deal for me personally atm.

I'm still curious why @FrostByte is the chosen one however .. 🤣

As I’ve said before, @FrostByte is special. For me, Murphy is usually close by. 😬

Seriously http is also working fine and in the past has been faster to start playback than pass direct path. Reason I was looking into it when I first tried the shield server was that full 4k remux would stutter on playback using http on the same device that the server was on unless pass direct path was on and properly pathed.

That doesn’t seem to be the case with the lastest beta ATV and server.

• Haha 1

rbjtech
30 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Seriously http is also working fine and in the past has been faster to start playback than pass direct path.

@CBers noted the same, but for me, FILE was always slightly faster - we are talking starting in 2 seconds as opposed to HTTP which starts in 3 seconds.  So there is really nothing in it.

I am also using Direct Attached Storage via Windows Shares - both this method and NAS will ultimately be using SMB, so I'm really not sure how much of a difference that would make to the startup time. 

Audiomixer

I guess the advantage is that if the nas server goes down, the file plays. What is the likely hood of the server going down? For me anyway, the Emby synology server has been very stable.

CBers
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@CBers noted the same, but for me, FILE was always slightly faster - we are talking starting in 2 seconds as opposed to HTTP which starts in 3 seconds.  So there is really nothing in it.

I am also using Direct Attached Storage via Windows Shares - both this method and NAS will ultimately be using SMB, so I'm really not sure how much of a difference that would make to the startup time. 

My HTTP playback starts almost instantly, within 1 second.

FILE playback can be upto 1 minute.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, CBers said:

My HTTP playback starts almost instantly, within 1 second.

FILE playback can be upto 1 minute.

My LG OLED takes a good 2 seconds to switch the refresh rate, so I expect that's what the difference is.

But if yours previously took 1 minute to start a FILE playback - then something looks wrong even before the update ?

Anyway - lets wait for Eric next week, then we can do some real testing.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Audiomixer said:

Seriously http is also working fine and in the past has been faster to start playback than pass direct path. Reason I was looking into it when I first tried the shield server was that full 4k remux would stutter on playback using http on the same device that the server was on unless pass direct path was on and properly pathed.

That doesn’t seem to be the case with the lastest beta ATV and server.

So, perhaps the best route forward would be to simply remove the option as it is just further complications for no benefit.