DLNA transcoding to Panasonic Viera not working

bulentaltan

Heuer

Same here with my Viera TX50AS650B.

All Mpeg4/AC3 files in .avi container take a long time to appear and when they do all I get are coloured blocks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem.

My Panasonic Viera TX-P50VT65B plays MP4 and Mkv without any problems but will not play MPEG2-TS files.

I do not have this problem with other media servers.

Is there any way of resolving this issue please?

• 4 weeks later...
Astoroth

I too am experiencing the same problem, I have a TX-55AX630B.

• MPEG2-TS, not working - if they do start to play they are just garbage on the screen....coloured blocks all over the screen.
  • MKV files with DTS, not working - TV says the format isn't supported however TV spec says it is.
  • Some MKV files don't play at all, TV says it can't read the file or format not supported.

Some of the DTS files work if I use MKV tools to convert the DTS to AC3 though, even after converting them they sometimes play a few seconds of video, audio plays fine but then the video jumps 10 seconds ahead, then pauses, then continues, then pauses again, jumps ahead 10 secs...etc etc

I've tried comparing the details of the files and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary with the ones I have issues with, they all play fine in VLC on my iMac so its got to be a config / supported codec issue?!

If anyone has any fixes to try or can let me know how to convert the non working files to a format that will work please let me know!

All the best,

Rich

Someone with a panasonic is going to have to figure out what needs to be changed in the profile in order to get mpegts to work

• 1 month later...

Astoroth did you ever fix this? I now have the same issue :(

I too am experiencing the same problem, I have a TX-55AX630B.

• MPEG2-TS, not working - if they do start to play they are just garbage on the screen....coloured blocks all over the screen.
  • MKV files with DTS, not working - TV says the format isn't supported however TV spec says it is.
  • Some MKV files don't play at all, TV says it can't read the file or format not supported.

Some of the DTS files work if I use MKV tools to convert the DTS to AC3 though, even after converting them they sometimes play a few seconds of video, audio plays fine but then the video jumps 10 seconds ahead, then pauses, then continues, then pauses again, jumps ahead 10 secs...etc etc

I've tried comparing the details of the files and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary with the ones I have issues with, they all play fine in VLC on my iMac so its got to be a config / supported codec issue?!

If anyone has any fixes to try or can let me know how to convert the non working files to a format that will work please let me know!

All the best,

Rich

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sidi86

Since the latest stable update MPEG2-TS are no longer recognised as MKV or play.. they played previously with an increased bitrate but no longer do so. 

Has there been any significant changes to the profile.. its really annoying as majority of my files don't play anymore. I prefer emby over the server that shall not be named 'P'

Nothing has changed. you can try the new release just in case it's subtitle related. You are also welcome to contribute and help us identify what needs to be adjusted with the panasonic profile, if anything.

Hi all,

regarding the MPEG2-TS problem, it seems to be an issue with the ResponseProfile section of the default Panasonic Viera Profile.

I was some time away from Emby (trying some other media servers), but now trying to come back because at the end Emby is the coolest one ;-)

The default Viera profile also did not work for me anymore, but there were some updates on my Viera installed in the meantime, maybe also the DLNA software changed.

To make MPEG-TS work again, the following changes were necessary (unfortunately the response profile section cannot be changed in the web GUI, so console access to the server is necessary).

1. Create a custom profile as a copy of the original profile or change the system profile.

2. Find the appropriate profile XML on the server (e.g. '.../config/dlna/user/My\ Panasonic\ Viera.xml' if you created a user profile, the system profiles are located under 'system').

3. Find the line 

<ResponseProfile container="ts" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">

and change it to

<ResponseProfile container="ts" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_TS_SD_KO" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">

This made the MPEG2_TS files work for me again. Otherwise it could also be a problem with a not matching DLNA profile. In this case, all the direct play options would not be set correctly.

Did it help?

Guest sidi86

Hi all,

regarding the MPEG2-TS problem, it seems to be an issue with the ResponseProfile section of the default Panasonic Viera Profile.

I was some time away from Emby (trying some other media servers), but now trying to come back because at the end Emby is the coolest one ;-)

The default Viera profile also did not work for me anymore, but there were some updates on my Viera installed in the meantime, maybe also the DLNA software changed.

To make MPEG-TS work again, the following changes were necessary (unfortunately the response profile section cannot be changed in the web GUI, so console access to the server is necessary).

1. Create a custom profile as a copy of the original profile or change the system profile.

2. Find the appropriate profile XML on the server (e.g. '.../config/dlna/user/My\ Panasonic\ Viera.xml' if you created a user profile, the system profiles are located under 'system').

3. Find the line 

<ResponseProfile container="ts" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">

and change it to

<ResponseProfile container="ts" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_TS_SD_KO" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">

This made the MPEG2_TS files work for me again. Otherwise it could also be a problem with a not matching DLNA profile. In this case, all the direct play options would not be set correctly.

Did it help?

Well done!

Thanks for this, I've been tinkering with the profiles to no avail. 

The solution posted works to the extent that it classes the format as "Video", and it takes a few moments to process the file and when it does play any attempt to forward/search starts the video over again. 

previous to this latest update the files were recognised as MKV and played. 

much appreciation for any other updates. 

Guest sidi86

Just to let you all know with the latest update i seem to have got this to work. All videos show as MKV

3 simple steps. 

DLNA profile Panasonic, adjust the following

1. Info [tab]

Playback Settings

Max Streaming Bit Rate to: 500000000

2. Direct Play [tab]

Under Video

remove [X] 'ts'

3. press SAVE. 

And they should all show as MKVs and play.  

• 1 month later...
Baiano89

Hi guys

I can't seem to get this working. Done both the changing of profile and the edit of the xml, but neither my play to nor my dlna-interface on the tv can play any files (mkv and mp4). The only thing that has changed in the process is that before it said Mpeg2-PS then it said Mpeg2-TS and now it just says video on all the files. 

Am I doing something wrong as this seems to work for everyone else?

Cheers.

• 2 months later...
twistedLucidity

Seems that DLNA to Panasonic Vieras is still not working reliably. I'll admit to not fully understanding what all the "container" stuff is, but I am seeing some h264+AAC files being detected as "MPEG2-TS" (which all fail, I either see garbage or nothing) and others as "MKV" (which work). Encoding details taken from VLC:

Failing (shown as: MPEG2-TS):

Codec: H264 - MPEG4 AVC (part 10)(avc1)

Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

Subtitles: English

File extension: .m4v

Working (shown as MKV):

Audio: MPEG AAC (mp4a)

File extension: .mkv

As far as I can tell, both of these should simply play with no transcoding or anything being necessary as I can see the video/audio codec listed under "direct play". I'm a bit lost but would be happy to provide log files etc if it will have anyone with more knowledge help me to figure out what changes to make.

I don't want to start hacking at the system profiles and making things worse without having some kind of understanding.

Device info:

Model: Viera TX-42AS650B

Software version: 31010-10102

edit 1: Clarified some things above

edit 2: Recorded a DLNA attempt and attached log

I've managed to grab a log of the DLNA attempt. If I use the URL it contains in VLC, I can see video; but it looks like transcoding is happening (details below) and I do not understand why and I cannot see any transcode log, although as it plays in VLC I do not think it is Emby's transcoding that is failing.

Failing (shown as: MPEG2-TS):

Audio: A52 Audio (aka AC3)(a52)

edit 3: Copied Emby Panasonic profile and made changes

1. Increasing the bit rate to 21Mb shows an image, but sound is choppy and it does not play smoothly

2. Just editing the "ResponseProfile" as above has no effect.

At this time I have been unable to find any documentation from Panasonic on what they support over DLNA.

edit 4: Further testing

I switched to a wired gigabit connection in case WiFi was the issue. No improvement.

I switched the response to "mkv" from "ts". All that did was cause the files to be detected as "MPEG2-PS" and they did not play.

I reverted the response to "ts" and upped the bit rate to "500000000" but there was still no change.

Panansonic do not appear to detail their DLNA information anywhere, so I guess this can't be supported until someone can figure out how to find the information.

server.log

Edited by twistedLucidity

twistedLucidity

I've requested DLNA support details from Panasonic as this information does not appear to be available on-line. I'll post it here if they every reply (I doubt they will).

• Like 1

I've requested DLNA support details from Panasonic as this information does not appear to be available on-line. I'll post it here if they every reply (I doubt they will).

Awesome, thanks for the update.

twistedLucidity

I went back and checked a few things and stumbled across what could be part of the problem: my ignorance. I may have messed up a few rips (got M4V rather the MP4, although I'm not sure how; can I check outside of Emby?). MP4 works fine and I think doesn't involve transcoding.

It seems the Panasonic cannot cope with the "ts" response. So I tried changing the response profile from:

<Conditions />
</ResponseProfile>

to (stolen from a PlayStation profile):

<ResponseProfile container="mp4" audioCodec="aac" type="Video" mimeType="video/mp4">
     <Conditions />
</ResponseProfile>

And it got detected as "MPEG2-PS", which seems odd. How do I get Emby to transcode to MP4? That's the only format I know for sure works.

I did try checking the Wiki, but it is unfortunately blank at the moment.

Also, the profile has "avi" defined as "DirectPlay" yet those files also show on the Panasonic as "MPEG2-PS". This makes me think that Emby is using the above"ResponseProfile" rather than "DirectPlay". Why would that be?

Edit 1: I now have a complete Wireshark dump of an attempt to play a movie; what am I looking for?

Happy2Play

How do I get Emby to transcode to MP4?

You need to change trascode section not response section.

<TranscodingProfile container="ts" type="Video" videoCodec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" estimateContentLength="false" enableMpegtsM2TsMode="false" transcodeSeekInfo="Auto" copyTimestamps="false" context="Streaming" />

to

<TranscodingProfile container="mp4" type="Video" videoCodec="h264" audioCodec="ac3" estimateContentLength="false" enableMpegtsM2TsMode="false" transcodeSeekInfo="Auto" copyTimestamps="false" context="Streaming" />
  • Like 1

twistedLucidity

Holy-moly! You [sir|madam] are a genius! That seems to have fixed quite a few things. Although the server's CPU is now getting hammered by ffmpeg (low power, no GPU).

Guess I have some batch conversions to run on a more powerful computer.

I did try adding "m4v" as a "DirectPlay" and it choked on that, now I know that is defo not supported.

I have now got a full Wireshark capture of the TV trying to access Emby.

Can I use that to discern what formats/containers the TV supports?

twistedLucidity

Oh good grief! I have been looking everywhere for that information! Thanks!

Guess I now need to figure out what "AVCHD", "H264 BP/MP/HP" etc translate to into for the various codec entries.

Although looking at it, it claims to support .m4v as well as .flv, and that's clearly not the case.

Happy2Play

Those formats are for "USB Devices" but DNLA is usually close to the same support.  Have you tried playing one of your m4v files via usb to see if it works?

twistedLucidity

When the transcoding profile was "ts", I just saw garbage on the screen (strange coloured blocks) for "m4v". I didn't think to check for a ffmpeg process, I'll do that now. edit: Yes, with the transcoding profile back to "ts", I see an "ffmpeg" process taking the CPU to about 99% (mp4 takes it to 180+%, yet plays fine).

With the transcoding profile set to "mp4" it now plays, but I can see ffmpeg hitting the CPU hard, so transcoding is happening (something I don't want, wich is why I'm been trying to rip to mp4). In fact, I can see one mp4 which gets transcoded to an mp4 i.e. no change! "Big Buck Bunny 3D". Very strange.

When I added an entry into "DirectPlay" for "m4v", I saw it listed as "Unsupported" ("!" icon) in the TV's UI. This is what I used, a copy and paste of the "mp4" one really.

<DirectPlayProfile container="m4v" audioCodec="aac,ac3,mp3,pcm" videoCodec="h264" type="Video" />

FLV always fails.

This is the failing "Big Buck Bunny 3D" information:

Video                Audio                 Audio
Codec H264           Language und          Language und
Codec tag avc1       Codec MP3             Codec AC3
Profile High         Codec tag mp4a        Codec tagac-3
Level 51             Layout stereo         Layout 5.1
Resolution 1920x2160 Channels 2 ch         Channels 6 ch
Aspect ratio 8:9     Bitrate 156 kbps      Bitrate 312 kbps
Anamorphic No        Sample rate 48000 khz Sample rate 48000 khz
Interlaced No        Default Yes           Default Yes
Framerate 60
Bitrate 5865 kbps
Bit depth 8 bit
Pixel format yuv420p
Ref frames 8

Container mp4

Comparing the above to a working non-3D version of "Big Buck Bunny" the only differences I see are around the resolution, aspect ratio and video bitrate; which makes sense. So why Emby thinks it needs transcoded is beyond me.

edit: I removed the transcoding profile completely and saw that "BB3D" shown above is listed as "Unsupported" ("!" icons again) by the TV. So there's something about it the TV cannot cope with. In fact, with transcoding disable, anything that isn't mp4, mpeg2 or flv is listed as "Unsupported". Neither mpeg2 or flv actually work, unfortunately.

Happy2Play

Have you tried adding a responseprofile to make m4v look like mp4?

Example from Dish Hopper-Joey profile.  This example makes device think mkv and ts are mp4.

<ResponseProfile container="mkv,ts" type="Video" mimeType="video/mp4">
      <Conditions />
    </ResponseProfile>