DLNA transcoding to Panasonic Viera not working

bulentaltan

bulentaltan

Hello to the community,

this is my first post and I hope I will do well in asking my question right with all the necessary info.

I have MB server setup on a computer on my network with all my video files on a Synology NAS DS1813+. I am using Roku to play my files and that seems to be working fine yet I do not like the way the videos look on my Roku as they seem to be more pixelated and with less frame rate (probably another subject). 

Now I have started using DLNA to stream videos onto my TV (Panasonic Viera) which results in much better looking video but I seem to run into a few issues:

- If I want to browse through the TV the media browser library, the media browser DLNA server is not being shown most of the time. I have it set to 5s "alive messages" and to blast. I am not sure there is much more I can give there. The tv is on wireless, the rest of the setup is all wired. Media Browser "play to" feature seems to find the TV just fine.

- I dont seem to be able to transcode at all to my TV. I can only play videos that are directly compatible to the TV and support direct play. It is always the audio that gets me on my video files. The section from my server log and a transcoding debug log is attached for info.

I would welcome any suggestion especially for the transcoding issue.

Thanks

Bulent

Transcoding_Log.txt

server log.txt

If you created a custom profile delete it because it shouldn't be transcoding to mkv

Hi - I recently switched to Media Browser Server and ran into the same problem.

I have a Panasonic Viera ST60

Typical Cannot Read File error or it just stalls on Please Wait, forever.

I mucked around with the transcoding container, video and audio codecs. I found that only changing the container from ts to mkv on the Panasonic Viera default profile gives me 5 to 10 seconds of playback, then the audio and video freezes on the TV.

I'm not sure what else to try. Anyone have any suggestions?

CUCzmdc.png

bulentaltan

I have deleted the custom profile and I can monitor my transcoding folder and see the ts file being generated yet still my television gets hung up on "Please wait a moment" and I dont see the file size ever getting bigger than 0 bytes. After a while the TV gives up. The new transcoding log is attached

transcoding_log_ts.txt

bulentaltan
Video
Codec    H264
Profile    High
Level     41
Resolution     1280x696
Aspect Ratio   1.85:1
Anamorphic   No
Interlaced      No
Framerate     23.97599
Bitrate           5579 kbps
Bit Depth       8 bit
Pixel Formatyuv    420p

Audio
Language    eng
Codec          DCA
Profile          DTS
Layout         5.1
Bitrate         1536 kbps
Sample Rate     48000 khz
Default              Yes

Subtitle
Language     eng
Codec           SUBRIP
Default          No
Forced          No
External        No

Right now tried some of the settings in the transcoding options and set quality to Auto and Audioboost to 1. Saw now that the video file size started growing yet still no output to TV, TV gives up after a while and quits and the file gets deleted when it was about the 1.3GB range... New log attached again...

transcoding_log_ts_try2.txt

i'm sure the file was always growing but you just didn't notice it. based on the first log, the transcoding was functioning fine. if you right click -> properties, you'll see the increased size. i think the encoding is fine, the tv just doesn't like it for some reason, so something needs to be adjusted.

it's doing a stream copy of the video (which should be fine).

for kicks, try setting the max streaming bitrate of the profile to 5000000. That will force the video stream to be re-encoded.

bulentaltan

This time around I got a "Can not read file" on my tv before quitting out. Previously it was always what seemed like a timeout. Just as a reference the file seemed to grow much smaller this time. I suppose due to the added CPU load for the video transcoding vs streamcopy.

Ok. Since I don't have a panasonic I am really unable to test this. our other devs who have helped with dlna, i don't think they do either. for starters you should collect info on your tv, find out all of the supported media formats, and not just mp4, ts, etc, but more detailed such as codecs, profiles, levels, etc. Then from there we can look at our panasonic profile and see if it needs to be adjusted or if we need multiple panasonic profiles for different years, models, etc.

bulentaltan

Ok. Will get the full info this evening and post it here with also the full model number in case the features are different from year to year. Thanks for your help today

bulentaltan

Checking out the DLNA help page on my TV lists the following file format and codec compatibilities

Photo:

JPEG files (DCF and EXIF standards)

Videos:

• SD Video files (SD-Video Standard Ver 1.31)
  • AVCHD files (AVCHD Standard 2.0 (AVCHD 3D, AVC HD Progressive)
  • MotionJPEG files (taken with LUMIX)
  • MP4 files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2,    Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3)
  • MKV files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2,    Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3)
  • FLV files (Video codec H.264,    Audio Codec MP3/AAC)
  • 3GPP files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2,    Audio Codec AAC/HE-AAC)
  • PS files (Video codec H.264*/MPEG1/MPEG2,    Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3*/AAC*/HE-AAC*/AC3/E-AC3*/LPCM)
  • TS files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2,    Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3*/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3)

* for Media Player only (I suppose this means it only works for USB drive mounted files and not DLNA but not 100% sure)

Music

• MP3 files
  • AAC files
  • FLAC files

My TV Is a Panasonic Viera, full model number VIERA TC-P65VT50 (2012 model) the link I purchased it under from Amazon is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752VLSG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Server log and last transcode results attached for reference again.

DLNA log.txt

Trancode Log 3.txt

FYI I was able to find a working combination:

container: mkv

video codec: h264

audio codec: aac

It doesn't seem to like the TS container, or the ac3 audio codec for transcoding.

I tried several old avi files, and it transcoded all of them with the above settings without a problem.

Panasonic Viera 2013 - ST60 details for DLNA playback

• SD Video files (SD-Video Standard Ver 1.31)
  • AVCHD files (AVCHD Standard 2.0 (AVCHD 3D, AVC HD Progressive)
  • MP4 files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2, Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3)
  • MKV files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2, Audio Codec MPEG Audio/MP3/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3/DTS core)
  • FLV files (Video codec H.264, Audio Codec MP3/AAC)
  • 3GPP files (Video codec H.264, Audio Codec AAC/HE-AAC)
  • PS files (Video codec MPEG1/MPEG2, Audio Codec MPEG Audio/AC3/LPCM)
  • TS files (Video codec H.264/MPEG1/MPEG2, Audio Codec MPEG Audio/AAC/HE-AAC/AC3/E-AC3)

try the original profile from the server but change the video codec to mpeg2video, (for the .ts container).

try the original profile from the server but change the video codec to mpeg2video, (for the .ts container).

No go.

The TV cycles on Please wait a moment...

tenerezzo

I have the exaxt same problem...formats other than MKV are not played on my panasonic viera. 

FYI I was able to find a working combination:

container: mkv

video codec: h264

audio codec: aac

Configuring this in the default panasonic transcoding profile had the effect that movies formerly displayed as "MPEG2-TS" are now displayed as "MKV" on the TV, but the TV now simply skips them and plays the next movie in the list. No error message anymore.

bulentaltan

Sorry. This week got very busy with additional work so I wasn't able to contribute more. As of now I can confirm that I am seeing the same behavior as tenerezzo.

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

this is my first post in the forum, I used MB for quite some time with my old Samsung Smart TV (2010 model) and it was working quite well (mainly using as PlayTo target from the Android app). So first a big ThankYou for this great piece of software!

I recently got a new Pansonic TV (TX-47ASW654 - a 2014 model) since the Samsung broke, and unfortunately after the first approach, none of my videos were playing on the new TV, not as PlayTo target and also not when using the internal DLNA client.

I found this thread and it looks like the predefined "Panasonic Viera" profile is really not working for newer models anymore. After reading a lot of different threads from other forums (Servioo, Plex, ...), I got some things already working now and wanted to share my findings. There are still some open issues, so hopefully someone else can help in also getting these solved.

So now after a long introduction here is the info  ;)

First I tried to access the MB DLNA server by using the Panasonic internal DLNA client. No video was playing, I always got the already mentioned Cannot Read File errors after some waiting time. The Panasonic DNLA client shows the video type when browsing through the media files, and I wondered why it was always showing MPEG-PS for all files, because all of my video files were MKV or TS. For the MKVs, I saw in metadata they were using MPEG2VIDEO as video codec, so I added this to the direct play profile for MKV and first problem was solved => The MKVs are now recognized as natively supported and can be played  :)

The TS files, and all others that are tried to transcoded to TS were still shown as MPEG-PS and were not played at all. In another forum I found a thread were people were having problems with PNs that had to be remaped to other PNs, but I'm not sure if this feature is available in MB. So I just added a mime-type mapping for some PN, and with the following setting the TS video are now correctly shown as type "Video" and can also be played:

<ResponseProfiles>
    <ResponseProfile container="ts" audioCodec="" videoCodec="" type="Video" orgPn="MPEG_TS_SD_EU,MPEG_TS_SD_NA,MPEG_TS_SD_KO" mimeType="video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts">
    <Conditions />
</ResponseProfile>

The PNs are just result of trial and error, so here comes my first question:

Is there a way to find out which PNs are not known to the TV and must be set??

At the end, with these changes I can now play all my videos at least using the TVs internal DLNA client, hopefully my findings can help some other people having also problems with the newer Panasonic models.

The PlayTo is still not working, but I will investigate some more on this topic and post on success or additional questions.

• Like 1

Hi again,

I got some new information on this topic:

1. The only mime-type mapping that seems to be really needed is for MPEG_TS_SD_KO. With this set, the ts files are played well (for direct play and also transcoding).

2. I found some files transcoded even if they should be supported regarding the direct play profile. At the end the reason was the maximum bitrate set in the default Panasonic Viera Profile (8MBit). I was able to increase it to 21MBit, so all files with bitrates up to that play fine. I had no success with higher bitrates, so I think the maximum the TV can handle is somewhere in that area.

3. I also made some progress with the PlayTo function. The reason why it is currently not working seems to be related to this issue: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11757-dlna-error-in-logs/

I will do some more testing here.

4. I checked some more of my recordings and had to add some additional direct play capabilities to the profile. I think it's still not complete, but my current profiles for mpeg, ts and mkv looks like this:

<DirectPlayProfile container="mpeg,mpg" audioCodec="ac3,mp3,pcm_dvd" videoCodec="mpeg2video,mpeg4" type="Video" />
<DirectPlayProfile container="mkv" audioCodec="aac,ac3,dca,mp3,mp2,pcm" videoCodec="h264,mpeg2video" type="Video" />
<DirectPlayProfile container="ts" audioCodec="aac,mp3,mp2" videoCodec="h264,mpeg2video" type="Video" />

That's it for now, I will keep updating.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The latest beta incorporates more improvements for Panasonic Viera's. Please try it out. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I have been having playback issues with my Viera as well.  I just downloaded the Beta and selected the new Viera profile.  MP3 files play great.  None of my MPEG2-TS files, however, will play.  I receive a "please wait a moment" message and then after 30 seconds, receive a cannot read file.  The screen then shows green blocks.  Any ideas?