***[GUIDE]*** SETUP EMBY (with HW transcoding) ON UNRAID & REMOTE ACCESS THROUGH REVERSE PROXY USING SWAG

Mikele

Hi guys,

I wanted to move from plex to emby since a while for multiple reasons.
I decided to make this guide first because I want to give back something to the amazing community behind UNRAID/REDDIT/EMBY and second because I couldn't find a step by step guide so I thought it would be nice to have a lot of useful information in a single place.
If you just want to setup the hardware transcoding using intel quick sync video in emby on unraid go directly to STEP 8.

I take also the opportunity to thank spaceinvaderone for the amazing videos he made about UNRAID, I learned a lot, and the linuxserver.io guys/gals for the amazing job they do supporting and maintaining the community images.

Note: I am not affiliated with anybody nor I get paid to do this, this shows the steps I used to setup emby on unraid so to make it easier for you to do the same. Also english is not my native language so excuse me for any syntax/grammar error.

Last premise before we start, if you want to add something or you think some steps needs additional informations to be clearer let me know in the comments. @Mods: I couldn't post it under "tutorial and guides" section. if you can please move it to the appropriate section, thank you.

Let the fun begin...

PREREQUISITES:
--------------------

SETUP:
---------
STEP 1 - Setting up a dynamic DNS
-----------------------------------------

Use your preferred dynamic dns provider to setup a custom dns tracking service.
For example: "emby.hopto.org" where "emby" is the name you want and the rest is fixed depending on the dynamic dns provider. Ex.: "myembysrv.hopto.org"

STEP 2 - CREATE A CUSTOM DOCKER NETWORK
----------------------------------------------------------

Inside the unraid web interface, open a terminal by clicking the terminal icon on the top right corner and type

docker network create cdocknet

where "cdocknet" is the name of our custom docker network. You can name it whatever you want.
Press ENTER and then a long string of random characters (network id) should appear meaning the custom network was successfully created. If there is an error message make sure you correctly typed in the command otherwise search google for the error message and fix it before moving onto the next step.
If everything is successful you can close the terminal window and proceed to the next step.

STEP 3 - Install SWAG (Secure Web Application Gateway)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the unraid web interface, go to apps then in the top right corner inside the search bar search for "swag" (without quotes)
Click install and you will be redirected to the container settings.
Change the following settings:

Network type:                 -> Select Custom: cdocknet (or watherver name you assigned in step 2)
HTTP:                         -> Change it to 8080 or another port that is not in use either in unraid or any docker you have
HTTPS:                        -> Change it to 8443 or another port that is not in use either in unraid or any docker you have
EMAIL:                        -> Your email address
DOMAIN NAME:                  -> The Dynamic DNS domain name, so if we use the one I setup in the first step it is going to be hopto.org Yours can
                                 be different. Ex.: ddns.net, duckdns.org
SUBDOMAINS:                   -> Delete the "www" and replance it with the custom name you chose in step 1, in our case emby.
ONLY SUBDOMAINS:              -> Set it to true (we tell swag to issue the cert. only for our subdomain as we don't own the top level domain
                                 be it hopto.org or whatever else you chose)

You can leave the rest as default. Now before clicking "APPLY" open a new tab and go to your router setting and setup a port forward to unraid for the port 80 and 443. I cannot give a specific guidance here as every router setting is different. Try to search for port forwarding [your router model] in google and read how to do it.
You should have a table/items like this. You need to setup 2 port forwarding, one for port 80 and one for port 443.

NAME/APPLICATION NAME/SERVICE NAME:   Swag80
IP ADDRESS:                           enter unraid ip address
PUBLIC PORT:                          enter the default HTTP port, in this case 80
PRIVATE PORT:                         enter the custom port you setup for the docker, in our case 8080
PROTOCOL:                             TCP

NAME/APPLICATION NAME/SERVICE NAME:   Swag443
IP ADDRESS:                           enter unraid ip address
PUBLIC PORT:                          enter the default HTTPS port, in this case 443
PRIVATE PORT:                         enter the custom port you setup for the docker, in our case 8443
PROTOCOL:                             TCP

After you did so go back to unraid and click apply.
Once swag is installed check the log setting to make sure everything is done without error thus a certificate is created and valid. Basically you shouldn't have any red/amber warning in the log and at the end you should see a "Server ready." message. If any red/amber shows then check the port are correctly forwarded (make sure the numbers are correct, the unraid server's ip address is correct) otherwise read what the error says and do a search to fix it.

STEP 4 - Install Emby
--------------------------

As before go under the apps tab in unraid to open the community applications and search for emby. You should see 3 or more emby containers, you can use the one you prefer. For our guide we use the official emby container. Click install and again you'll be redirected to the docker settings.

Network type:                 -> Select Custom: cdocknet (or watherver name you assigned in step 2; if you have multiple custom network                                                      make sure you use the same you setup in swag otherwise the reverse proxy won't work)
Host path 2:*                 -> Path to your media folder share. Ex.: /mnt/user0/Media

Then click apply and wait for the docker to be pulled.
Once it's complete you can open emby web interface by clicking on the EmbyServer icon and select "WebUI". Emby asks you to setup a username and a password. Note this one will be the admin of the server so use a strong password. Don't worry about Emby connect, this is not required at this moment so you can leave it blank. If you have one feel free to enter it.
Click next. 
You can already setup the library in this part or skip and do it later. For the purpose of this guide we skip it as it's not difficult and there is plenty of documentation on emby website on how to do that.
So now you can click finish and you will have emby UI with all the libraries (if you setup any) and the possibility to access the server settings.

STEP 5 - Configure SWAG proxy-conf
---------------------------------------------

If you didn't change the default appdata config path in swag you will have all the config file under /mnt/user/appdata/swag.
So from unraid webui set the appdata share to export with public access type.
To do so just click on the appdatashare, then under SMB Security Settings set the following:

Export:           -> yes
Security:         -> Public

Click apply then done.
From your PC/MAC navigate to the appdata share and open the swag folder.
In windows would be "This PC-> Network -> unraid_server_name -> appdata -> swag"
Inside swag navigate to nginx and then open proxy-conf folder.
Search and open a file named emby.subdomain.conf.sample with your preferred text editor be it notepad, notepad++, gedit or whatever.
Inside this file you have to change:

server_name emby.*

to whatever name you setup in step 1 for the dynamic dns. Example if your dynamic dns is myembysrv.ddns.net in this line you would setup

server_name myembysrv.*

The other line we have to change is the

set $upstream_app emby

by replacing emby with the container name. If you used the official emby container and you didn't change it then you would set this up to

set $upstream_app EmbyServer

. You can find the container name in unraid.

Now click save and rename the file by removing the ".sample" at the end. So the new file name will be "emby.subdomain.conf".
Go back to unraid webui, click on the swag container icon and restart the container. (This reloads the configuration files in swag like the one we just modified)

STEP 6 - Configure remote access on Emby
---------------------------------------------------

Open emby webui by clicking on the emby docker icon in unraid, go to settings -> network.
Tick the "Allow remote connections to this emby server" now some extra settings will appear.
Scroll down till you find "Public HTTPS port number" and change it to "443"
Right below you find the "External domain:" and set this to the dynamic dns we setup in step 1. In our case is "emby.hopto.org"
Then scroll down a bit more till you find "Secure connection mode:" and change it to "Handled by reverse proxy"
Then just below it untick the "Enable automatic port mapping" and then scroll at the end of the page and click save.
Go back to unraid webui and restart emby docker.

STEP 7 - Test the remote connection
--------------------------------------------

Open a new tab and go to "https://emby.hopto.org", of course replace this with your custom dynamic dns entry. Ex.: "https://myembysrv.ddns.net"
You should see a "Please sign in" page with emby logo asking you for a login and password. If you see a connection timeout then you did something wrong. Go back and re-read all the steps and make sure you did everything correctly. If you see an SSL cert error/browser warning that the connection is not secure then you messed up with the ports or skipped some steps. Again re-read and make sure you did everything properly.

STEP 8 - Setting the HW (hardware) transcoding in Emby with intel QSV (Quick Sync Video)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Requirements:

• Emby premiere
  • Intel CPU that has Quick Sync Video (search your cpu at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark.html#@Processors)
  • Compatible motherboards (sometimes iGPU has to be enabled in BIOS/UEFI, in some other cases you need a VGA/HDMI plugged-in to have it functional either by plugging in a monitor or by using a dummy VGA/HDMI adapter)

If you meet the above requirements please read on...

Open a terminal window in unraid (top right corner, click on the terminal icon inside the unraid webui) and type the following:

ls /dev/dri

and press ENTER
If you see something like

by-path/   card0   renderD128

this means that the QSV is already enabled in your unraid server and you can skip to the docker setting step otherwise read on.
In the terminal window type:

modprobe i915

then press ENTER (if there is any error stop and solve this before moving on. Make sure you meet all the requirements)
Then type:

ls /dev/dri

and press ENTER.
Now you should see something like this:

by-path/   card0   renderD128

Now type

chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

to set the permission on the folder so we can access to it from the emby docker container.

Once that's done close the terminal window, go over Emby docker container icon and click "Edit". This will bring the container settings up like the first time we installed it.
Scroll down at the bottom and click on "+ Add another path, port, variable, label or device". A new window/popup will open.

Config Type          -> Device
Name                 -> /dev/dri
Value                -> /dev/dri
Description          -> Intel Quick Sync Video

Then click "ADD" and the "APPLY" and after the container is pulled down again click on "DONE".
Now open emby webui, go to "Settings -> Transcoding" and make sure you have "Enable hardware acceleration when available:" set to "Yes" or "Advanced". With advanced you can see the various preferred hardware encoders/decoders emby will use and tick/untick the ones you want. Scroll to the bottom and click on "Save".

STEP 9 - Testing the hardware transcoding and make Intel QSV persistent across unraid server reboots
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To test if the hardware trascoding is working as intended just go to your library, open a movie and select a different quality. For example you can set it to 480p - 1Mbps and click play.

If you go in your server dashboard inside emby webui settings you will see under Active devices the client name that is reproducing the movie and just below informations about wether it is being transcoded or not and which encoder/decoder is being used. For example if you see VAAPI (Video Acceleration Api) means the hardware transcoding is working using the intel QSV by accessing /dev/dri (Direct rendering infrastructure).

Finally last step is to go back into unraid webui, open a terminal window and edit the go file to make sure Intel QSV is always on even if we reboot the server. To do so type:

nano /boot/config/go

and press ENTER
Nano editor will open and you will see the content of the file. If you never modified it before it should be similar to:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Just add the following lines to the bottom of the file

modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Your go file should look like this:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &
modprobe i915
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

Save using the CTRL + O and then CTRL + X to exit
Done!
If you read it this far I thank you for the attention and I hope you found this guide useful.
Finally you can enjoy your media on the sofa.

Edited by Mikele
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
white_puma

Hi Mikele, thankyou for this! i followed it but only got it to partially work.

When i follow the steps i get a 502 Bad gateway for the https link i have setup for outside of my network.

HOWEVER, when i change Secure connection mode to either "disabled" or "preferred but not required" and then try to access via http link (not the https link), it seems to work.

Obviously i would prefer to have it setup so it works with https. Any idea what my problem could be?

On 2/25/2021 at 10:30 PM, white_puma said:

Hi Mikele, thankyou for this! i followed it but only got it to partially work.

When i follow the steps i get a 502 Bad gateway for the https link i have setup for outside of my network.

HOWEVER, when i change Secure connection mode to either "disabled" or "preferred but not required" and then try to access via http link (not the https link), it seems to work.

Obviously i would prefer to have it setup so it works with https. Any idea what my problem could be?

Hi, you need to setup an SSL certificate for https on your emby server. Have you done that?

Mikele

@white_puma Sorry for the late reply, got busy weekend. As Luke said have you setup an SSL certificate? Did you check swag docker log for any errors?

Were the ports for swag correctly forwarded?

white_puma

Hi Luke & Mikele

Thanks for your responses.
need to setup SSL certificates for https on your emby server:
is this what is mentioned in step 6? if so then yes i have done this. Sorry, i'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to SSL certs and such

Did i check the swag docker log for any errors.
Yes, i'm getting plenty of the following:
2021/03/02 09:10:55 [error] 722#722: *804 embyserver could not be resolved (3: Host not found), client: [IPaddress], server: emby.*, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", host: [mywebsite]

Mikele

So the problem lies in your swag container setup. You should read and do again the STEP 5.

Make sure to change the relevant lines in the config to reflect your environment (ex. container name and/or dns name).

If you need further help please post the content of the file "emby.subdomains.conf" here (using the code tag) and I try to help you troubleshoot. As I wrote in the guide you shouldn't move on the next step unless swag was properly set or things wouldn't work. So please make sure you carefully read and do the step 5 again, check the logs for any error and if there are NOT any then do 6 and 7 again and everything should work.

Mikele

The subdomain.conf looks correct. So the mistake should be the swag setup. Can you verify you did step 3 correctly? Did you forward the port 80 and 443?

Do that again and check swag container log again for any error. About the custom docker network, did you setup that?

If you still can't solve the problem can you post a full swag container log error?

• 1 month later...

I did not have to do any of your steps (1 to 9) and my Unraid w Emby docker worked good.  I am not doing transcoding.  

Mikele
1 hour ago, xrqp said:

I did not have to do any of your steps (1 to 9) and my Unraid w Emby docker worked good.  I am not doing transcoding.  

If you use emby only in a LAN and without any transcoding of course you don't need to do any of the steps above.

Also should the transcoding happen it will be done by your CPU instead of the integrated GPU (if any)

Edited by Mikele

delloriane

Hi,

I am trying to follow this guide for my unraid server but I can not surpassing step 3.

Once installed, the swap container stats:

"

Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain example.duckdns.org
http-01 challenge for example.duckdns.org
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

[...]

ERROR: Cert does not exist! Please see the validation error above. The issue may be due to incorrect dns or port forwarding settings. Please fix your settings and recreate the container

"

I setup the docker as states (without token [ I also tested with it]).

The ports are correctly set.

image.png.cb90acc0966a607814846c6168ed3d2b.png

The duckdns docker works without errors and duckdns webpage states that IP is been checked.

What can I´ve been done wrong?

Edited by delloriane

26 minutes ago, delloriane said:

Hi,

I am trying to follow this guide for my unraid server but I can not surpassing step 3.

"

Cleaning up challenges

[...]

ERROR: Cert does not exist! Please see the validation error above. The issue may be due to incorrect dns or port forwarding settings. Please fix your settings and recreate the container

"

The duckdns docker works without errors and duckdns webpage states that IP is been checked.

That would suggest you haven't setup the ssl certificate.

• Like 1

Mikele
14 hours ago, delloriane said:

Hi,

"

Cleaning up challenges

[...]

"

Hi, so your swag container should have the following settings for duckdns.

http port: 		8080
https port:		8443
email:			your@email.ext
domain name:		duckdns.org
subdomain(s):		example or example,othersubdomain 
			(Make sure if you have multiple ones to use the comma to separate them and NO space)
Only subdomains: 	TRUE
validation:		 	http
extra domains:	 	<leave empty>
duckdns token:	 	<leave empty>

Note: make sure port 8080 and port 8443 are NOT used by another container. To verify so at the end of the page just before the apply button there is a blue label "Show docker allocations...", click that and check which ports are in use by which containers. If there is another container that uses the port 8080 you need to change the port either that container or swag.

I hope this helps. Let us know ;)

• Like 1

delloriane
6 hours ago, Mikele said:

Hi, so your swag container should have the following settings for duckdns.

http port: 		8080
https port:		8443
email:			your@email.ext
domain name:		duckdns.org
subdomain(s):		example or example,othersubdomain 
			(Make sure if you have multiple ones to use the comma to separate them and NO space)
Only subdomains: 	TRUE
validation:		 	http
extra domains:	 	<leave empty>
duckdns token:	 	<leave empty>

Note: make sure port 8080 and port 8443 are NOT used by another container. To verify so at the end of the page just before the apply button there is a blue label "Show docker allocations...", click that and check which ports are in use by which containers. If there is another container that uses the port 8080 you need to change the port either that container or swag.

I hope this helps. Let us know ;)

Hi, I feel quite embarrassed.

I had 80 port forwarded in my router for Home Assistant. I unchecked it in order to configurate swag but for any reason it did not enought. After deleting the entry, swap worked perfectly.

Sorry for my mind lack.

At the moment I have completed until step 7 (pendig to receive the dummy VGA/HDMI adapter)

I also has some questions:

- VGA/HDMI adapter: Do any adapter be suitable for all trascoding? I mean, at the time of purchasing it, the show different quality resolutions /4K, 1080...

For example: hdmi addapter

- I use xteve [br0 network - 192.168.29.99:34400] to send my minisatip iptv signal (through tvheadend [br0 network]) to emby. With this configuration emby does not recognize xteve port.

I am nooby in docker, after reading I saw methods to show emby ports to a custom network but not vice versa.

Adding "--net= cdocknet" to xteve docker "extra parameters" could solve the problem?

- In the sameline, if tomorrow I need the external port 443 or 80 for another device (x example y run HA in a NUC) are they possible to use?  And including to be using by another docker?

Thank you by my basic questions in advance

Edited by delloriane

Mikele

Don't be embarassed, we all make mistakes. This is also part of the learning process.

Regarding your questions:

VGA/HDMI dumb adapter: Some motherboards let you avail of the videocard only if a screen is connected. By using the adapter you let the system believe there is a screen connected so you can use the videocard. No more no less.

XTEVE: I didn't really get your question. Anyway I try to answer by what I understood. Xteve docker should be in the same network as emby. If you click on the docker icon and click edit there is an option "NETWORK TYPE:"  You should set this to "cdocknet" for whatever docker you need to be on the same network as swag/emby.

Port 80/443: You can have the same port open for different IP or different port for the same IP. Example: Intel NUC IP is 192.168.1.5, Unraid IP is 192.168.1.6 then you can have port 80 open on both IP. If you need a port forward make sure you forward the port to the correct IP.

As a side note try to avoid exposing too many port on your router. A VPN is more appropriate as it let's you access LAN resources from WAN without exposing too many services on the wide internet. This is by far much more secure because it provides reduced attack surface (only 1 port open) and the tunnel is encrypted. For more informations look at that: Unraid | Setting Up WireGuard® on Unraid

• Thanks 1

delloriane

Thank you again in advance for youir reply and patience.

About Xteve issue:

Edit:

Solved with the command "docker network connect cdocknet xteve" for the dockers xteve, tvheadend and emby.

Edit2:

Today I have just "discover" that if you restart the server, as it happens with the router, internal IP´s change, so, as the container are related to static ips it is also required to fix them in the new network. To do that:

"docker network inspect cdocknet" to see with ip are catched

"docker network disconnect cdocknet xteve" to change ip ( it does not allow to change being connect)

"docker network connect --ip XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX cdocknet xteve" and so on with each app you need.

Edited by delloriane

tvd77777777

How would i get this to work if i wanted the external port to be something other than 443?  I tried changing it in the swag conf file, emby settings and in my router.. but its not working.. any ideas?

Mikele
3 hours ago, tvd77777777 said:

How would i get this to work if i wanted the external port to be something other than 443?  I tried changing it in the swag conf file, emby settings and in my router.. but its not working.. any ideas?

So 443 is usually used for SSL so i don't understand why you need to change the emby port. Anyway I guess the question is related to the swag container.

Inside unraid click on the swag container icon then edit and here you can set the variable "http port" and "https port" to whatever value you want/need. make sure the port you are using is NOT in use in another container or it won't work.

Beware that while the port can be different on the docker the port mapping on the router HAS TO be 443. This is because some ports are "standard" for some services and you can't change the settings for the wide internet 😜

@delloriane Glad you solved. Remember that sometimes when you apply a change to docker using the gui you might need to restart the docker itself to apply the changes or at least see them in effect.

Edited by Mikele

On 4/21/2021 at 10:41 PM, tvd77777777 said:

Hi there, what exactly does "not working" mean?

white_puma

Hi All

I know its been a while since I have said anything on this thread, but I only got time to tinker and fix the problem last night. Just wanted to say huge thankyou to both @Luke & @Mikele. As noted by both luke and Mikele there were problems with my Swag setup, please note that prior to this i have zero experience with swag, and SSL certs. Here is how i fixed it:
I tried refollowing the steps mentioned in the OP to fix the issue, however as i had swag installed from previously i just tried editing the docker rather than reinstalling. that still didn't work for me.
- i then completely removed my swag docker, even went into my appdata to remove what remained.
- Then refollowed the OP steps starting from scratch (with swag not on my server), it worked!

I think that either my swag was corrupt OR swag behaves differently when you edit it rather than when you start fresh, because everything i did when editing it vs starting fresh was exactly the same.

should also note
- I'm using my own domain name, so that changed things a bit for me when it came to pointing the domain name to it aswell as following the OP steps.
- had to change the ports used from the OP as there was a clash here, however this was done previously and still had issues.

Thanks again team and keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, white_puma said:

Hi All

I know its been a while since I have said anything on this thread, but I only got time to tinker and fix the problem last night. Just wanted to say huge thankyou to both @Luke & @Mikele. As noted by both luke and Mikele there were problems with my Swag setup, please note that prior to this i have zero experience with swag, and SSL certs. Here is how i fixed it:
I tried refollowing the steps mentioned in the OP to fix the issue, however as i had swag installed from previously i just tried editing the docker rather than reinstalling. that still didn't work for me.
- i then completely removed my swag docker, even went into my appdata to remove what remained.
- Then refollowed the OP steps starting from scratch (with swag not on my server), it worked!

I think that either my swag was corrupt OR swag behaves differently when you edit it rather than when you start fresh, because everything i did when editing it vs starting fresh was exactly the same.

should also note
- I'm using my own domain name, so that changed things a bit for me when it came to pointing the domain name to it aswell as following the OP steps.
- had to change the ports used from the OP as there was a clash here, however this was done previously and still had issues.

Thanks again team and keep up the good work!

Hi, glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback !

On 4/12/2021 at 9:55 PM, Mikele said:

If you use emby only in a LAN and without any transcoding of course you don't need to do any of the steps above.

That is currently correct.  I hope by the time I need transcoding and WAN that there is an easier way.  It looks difficult to me.  

Edited by xrqp

white_puma
1 hour ago, xrqp said:

That is currently correct.  I hope by the time I need transcoding and WAN that there is an easier way.  It looks difficult to me.  

Unfortunately just based on how websites, servers, and HTTPS works, i can't see it getting any easier anytime soon.

• 2 months later...
shimmerknight

Worked like a charm for me.  Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up for others.  It is greatly appreciated!