Interlaced live TV always transcoding now

clarkss12

7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So you guys are saying this is wrong?

See the item "IsInterlaced":false

Most likely it is actually TRUE

However it's POSSIBLE to get a 1080p via ATSC 1.0 but is not very common.  There are a couple of stations in a few markets that do 1080p.

1 minute ago, clarkss12 said:

CBS direct stream

PBS  went from direct play to transcode

NBC transcode

We would need to see the actual ffmpeg log files.
Stats for Nerds right now is not always accurate differentiating between transcode and direct stream.

Happy2Play
Just now, cayars said:

We would need to see the actual ffmpeg log files.
Stats for Nerds right now is not always accurate differentiating between transcode and direct stream.

Without that stream all that can be known is what the probed stream returned.

,"DisplayTitle":"1080p MPEG2VIDEO","IsInterlaced":false

6 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

CBS direct stream

Could you do a favor and do a 1 minute recording of one of these 1080 channels and post it?
Try not to record a commercial but an actual sports even if not to much trouble.

clarkss12

I switched from my Mecool to my Shield, and the CBS station still shows Direct Stream

Edit: switched from server that had the hardware transcoding disabled, to a server that has it enabled.  NOW the CBS station IS showing transcoding.

So, something with the Hardware transcoding disabled, causes the CBS station to show direct streaming.

I will check a different server with the hardware transcoding disabled and see what that shows.

Switched to a different Windows server with the hardware transcoding disabled, and it shows transcoding for the CBS station.   

Edited by clarkss12

It's likely just the reporting is wrong (has a glitch right now) so you HAVE TO look at the ffmpeg generated log.

You can tell just by the looking at the ffmpeg log if it's streamed or transcoded since it's part of the name. :)

clarkss12
1 hour ago, ebr said:

I think we are mostly wasting time here.  This issue will get solved in a future update.

That is good news.  All I want for Christmas is CC and pause/play, FF/RR....

thanks

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

That is good news.  All I want for Christmas is CC and pause/play, FF/RR....

thanks

Cool, you're pretty easy, 10 months from now is pretty doable. :)

My Emby list for Santa is a bit longer than yours. LOL

clarkss12
1 hour ago, cayars said:

Cool, you're pretty easy, 10 months from now is pretty doable. :)

My Emby list for Santa is a bit longer than yours. LOL

Everything has to be put into perspective ....... 52 years ago, to this date, I was shot while crossing a rice paddy in Vietnam.  So, 10 months don't mean nuthing........  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow! I wasn't even old enough and I'll be 60 this year. Thought I was the old guy here..

Edited by Sammy

vdatanet
23 hours ago, ebr said:

I think we are mostly wasting time here.  This issue will get solved in a future update.

This fix should be accompanied by an option in all client applications to deinterlace on the server, such as the Android TV application. For example, the MPV player on Apple TV sometimes does not deinterlace well in direct streaming, although it is true that it has improved a lot.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Sammy

Not yet but I will..

• Fix stream copy for interlaced content (requires server 4.6.0.32+)
  • Fix play video playlist from grid with 4.6
  • Increase playlist and album limits to 1500
  • No longer try to auto play from "Play Next" channel
  • Update subtitle font

clarkss12
31 minutes ago, ebr said:

Has anyone tested this with the latest Android TV beta (.80)...?

This version has CC AND pause/play RW?FF running on an Android box running pure Android..  

This version running on a Google Certified box with Android 10, does NOT have CC AND pause/play.

3 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

This version has CC AND pause/play RW?FF running on an Android box running pure Android..  

This version running on a Google Certified box with Android 10, does NOT have CC AND pause/play.

Ignore closed captions, etc. as there could be any number of variables impacting that.

The question here is can you direct stream an interlaced TV channel now (confirm you have the options set properly)?

clarkss12

Yes, it is direct streaming.  It now has CC AND FF/RW and pause/play.  This is a 480i channel running on an Android TV OS box

direct streaming.jpg

Sammy

So it's apparently fixed? That was only 5 months to bring back a previously working feature. I love Emby but you guys do need to do better than that when something is broken in the stable server that previously worked.

• Like 1

vdatanet
10 hours ago, ebr said:

Has anyone tested this with the latest Android TV beta (.80)...?

Yes, now interlaced content with incompatible audio is remuxed instead of transcoded. Now the problem of interlaced content that cannot be served in direct streaming has returned. In any case, it is rare content and as long as it can direct play it is not a big problem, also in the Android TV application I can always set that the deinterlacing is done on the server side. The problem will be when this change comes to Apple TV.

15 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, now interlaced content with incompatible audio is remuxed instead of transcoded. Now the problem of interlaced content that cannot be served in direct streaming has returned. In any case, it is rare content and as long as it can direct play it is not a big problem, also in the Android TV application I can always set that the deinterlacing is done on the server side. The problem will be when this change comes to Apple TV.

It won't. It will only be used in certain apps where it is most likely to succeed.

• Like 1