Interlaced live TV always transcoding now

clarkss12

vdatanet
Just now, ebr said:

That is an Apple-specific limitation.  The HLS spec does not prohibit this and, if the receiving device can handle it, then it is fine.  Apple devices cannot but Android TV ones can.

I have interlaced content that by the mere fact of being copied to HLS is not watchable even in Nvidia Shield (frames are lost). Although it is true that it is very minority content.

Just now, vdatanet said:

I have interlaced content that by the mere fact of being copied to HLS is not watchable even in Nvidia Shield (frames are lost). Although it is true that it is very minority content.

Can you provide an example?  Interlaced live TV and recordings have been happily delivered this way in this app for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

vdatanet
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you provide an example?  Interlaced live TV and recordings have been happily delivered this way in this app for years.

Recordings always work fine,, I have problems with some 1080i bluray rips, just this:

ffmpeg -i in.mkv -ss 00:00:00 -to 00:03:00 -c copy out.mkv

causes 33% frames drops, the same while streaming using HLS.

This is an example in the Apple TV forum, but also applies to Nvidia Shield:

Samples still available here:

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Maybe an option in the server "Allow streaming of interlaced content Yes/No (Default Yes)" would be useful.

4 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Maybe an option in the server "Allow streaming of interlaced content Yes/No (Default Yes)" would be useful.

That option already exists in this app to account for devices that don't de-interlace well.

vdatanet
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

That option already exists in this app to account for devices that don't de-interlace well.

It's not de-interlacing well problem, while direct playing de-interlacing is correct. The problem is not de-interlacing streaming content, once the HLS is malformed there no device capable to de-interlace,

That option is for direct play, direct steaming and remux. I mean an option just for direct streaming and remux. While direct playing on device de-interlacing is correct.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet
1 minute ago, vdatanet said:

No, that option is for direct play, direct steaming and remux. I mean an option just for direct streaming and remux. 

I mean the change included in 4.6.0.6, only taken into account if that option is disabled.

Or enabling sound decoding using iOS and tvOS MPV player 😀

Edited by vdatanet

clarkss12

Unfortunately, in order for me to now watch live or recorded TV, I have to  use a work around.  For live TV, I use the HDHomeRun app.  For my recorded shows recorded with 480i, which is most of my oldies, I have to use Kodi running the Emby for Kodi app.........

I can't use Emby any more for Live or recorded TV, unfortunately.  But it was good while it lasted.  :)

4 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Unfortunately, in order for me to now watch live or recorded TV, I have to  use a work around.  For live TV, I use the HDHomeRun app.  For my recorded shows recorded with 480i, which is most of my oldies, I have to use Kodi running the Emby for Kodi app.........

I can't use Emby any more for Live or recorded TV, unfortunately.  But it was good while it lasted.  :)

We will correct it so that you can use Emby again.

• Like 1

clarkss12
2 hours ago, ebr said:

We will correct it so that you can use Emby again.

I can wait, I'm in no hurry.  It's just a little inconvenience, since I much prefer the Emby app running under Android.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know that you've been all hands on deck for HDR transcoding but this issue where CC's on LiveTV were working for a long time and have been broken since NOVEMBER needs some love. Any idea when it will be addressed? I've been patiently waiting for a long time and would really appreciate a fix. I use LiveTV every single day.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:57 AM, ebr said:

I think maybe the beta server is forcing de-interlacing now.  @Luke...?

On 11/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, vdatanet said:

In server beta 4.6.0.6, if direct play for live tv is not enabled, then interlaced content is transcoded. In general, no direct play interlaced content is transcoded. In some situations while stream copying interlaced content, frames are lost:

This is an example of something that can be good for someone and bad for others. Maybe a server option "Allow streaming of interlaced content Yes / No" is worthwhile.

@ebr@Luke

We need a fix for this. It has been broken for too long. Fixing something for one user while breaking something for others is understandable. The time it is taking to get  a fix out is not understandable or acceptable.

Happy2Play

At the same time are you saying a Official release server and client have this issue?

Anything above 4.5.2 is broken so the stable server is broken. I was successful rolling back from .3 to .2 to get CC's back but shortly after that, .4 installed itself even though I had it set to not do so. Rolling back from .4 to .2 was still broken. Since then I have been experimenting with the beta server for the HDR but am hoping this fix was snuck in somehow. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

• Like 2

It works fine in the release version 4.5.2 but a change was made in the server to transcode all interlaced content delivered via HLS.   Apple has additional requirements on top of the official HLS spec that doesn't allow interlaced content in HLS delivery but no other devices that I'm aware of have this restriction.  Previous to this change it always worked fine in Theater, Roku, Android & Xbox.  Browsers will need it deinterlaced but always have. Nothing new here that wasn't already mentioned.

The problem with this change shows up in many threads from audio sync issues caused by transcoding, dropped frames, lack of closed captioning (lost with a transcode) and a biggie for sports fans which is loss of temporal resolution.  Most devices can take a 29.97 interlaced content and create two frames from it (one for odd lines, one frame for even lines) which displays as 59.94.  This is known as frame doubling.  When the server does deinterlacing it's basically throwing out the even lines and only using the odds lines so half the "temporal resolution" is lost which causes sports and action movies to look jerky and fast pans have a stair stepper look as half the picture is gone. Sports are unwatchable for me like this.

I know in my house hold I've had to stop using Emby for Live TV as my father who's basically deaf requires Closed Captions and we're huge sports junkies so can't stand watching any interlaced channels like this.  So the change caused double trouble for us.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 2

This needs to be something selectable by the end user. How many people pay $200 for apple TV when you can get perfectly fine results from a sub-$100 AndroidTV device? On top of that, Apple isn't even going to sell streaming devices going forward. Why is Emby doing this to satisfy a minority of users to the dismay of the rest of the users?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sammy said:

This needs to be something selectable by the end user. 

It already is on many devices. :)

1 minute ago, Sammy said:

Not AndroidTV

Wanna wager on that?

Edited by cayars

12 hours ago, cayars said:

Look at your ATV Playback Settings
DeInterlace SD Content
DeInterlace HD Content

You're both right.  The options are there but they no longer work with the current server.

We will address it in 4.6.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I'm aware the options don't do anything currently which is the issues. :)

Fantastic news it's being addressed!!!

• Like 1