Interlaced live TV always transcoding now

clarkss12

clarkss12

I have mentioned this before, but I have been using a work around for awhile now, with NO negative issues that I have encountered.........  I have disabled transcoding under the settings, and now I have BOTH CC and pause/play.  Not an optimal solution but it does work.  I run the server on several different low powered devices, for testing purposes.

This is running on a low powered, Beelink miniPC running an Intel Comet Lake SoC.

transcoding.jpg

transcoding 2.jpg

20210220_102747.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

41 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

a work around for awhile now, with NO negative issues that I have encountered

That WILL create negative issues for a lot of people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clarkss12 said:

For instance??

Any content that requires transcoding to play properly will fail to play.

clarkss12
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Any content that requires transcoding to play properly will fail to play.

???  I am confused.  I just tested "Back to the Future" encoded with the VC-1 video codec, which is the worse codec for my Amlogic boxes.  It always has to be transcoded, but it plays perfectly, using this miniPC as my server..

Is it dependent on the server hardware??

You didn't turn off transcoding in those pics.  You turned off Hardware transcoding is all.  So now your CPU is doing the work instead of your GPU.

clarkss12
9 minutes ago, cayars said:

You didn't turn off transcoding in those pics.  You turned off Hardware transcoding is all.  So now your CPU is doing the work instead of your GPU.

Yes, that is correct, I should have stated "hardware transcoding".  Agreed that hardware transcoding is the best way to do it, but If using my CPU for transcoding lets my CC and pause/play to function at the same time, it is a sacrifice that I will make.  Personally, I have not seen any limitations.  Since I MUST use CC, my choices of method for watching live TV, were limited to the HDHomeRun app, or using software transcoding under Emby.  I much prefer Emby vs any other method. 

I could go back in time and crank up one of my old devices and run Tvheadend server on it, then use the tvheadend Emby app.

So, perhaps what we've actually learned here is that not using HW acceleration is preserving the CC during a transcode...?

I doubt he has live seek mode on (ability to pause/RW, etc).

It's the combination of being able to RW/pause live that kills CC.

I was just trying to test combinations that work/don't work but in .74 ATV if I try to force transcoding I can't.
It's ignoring the change and the Bitrate in SFN shows as <Unknown>

clarkss12
1 hour ago, cayars said:

I doubt he has live seek mode on (ability to pause/RW, etc).

It's the combination of being able to RW/pause live that kills CC.

IF you look at my pictures that I posted, IT DOES have CC AND SEEK mode...............  Yes, I can have my cake and eat it too.......

clarkss12
1 hour ago, ebr said:

So, perhaps what we've actually learned here is that not using HW acceleration is preserving the CC during a transcode...?

Yes, that is a fact.........

Sounds good.  Let me ask a few questions to try and reproduce.

What client was that you're playing back on?
What version of client?
What server version are you running?

Thank you!

clarkss12
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sounds good.  Let me ask a few questions to try and reproduce.

What client was that you're playing back on?
What version of client?
What server version are you running?

Thank you!

Server Version 4.6.0.26 beta, Client 1.8.75g.  Running on Windows miniPC with Intel CPU.  I was using a Mecool KM6 Deluxe official Google Certified device....

Edited by clarkss12

What do you have set for stream copy in the app setup options?
Were you intentionally forcing a transcode above by limiting bitrate?

Could you play back another interlaced channel and upload ONLY the ffmpeg log file it generates?

clarkss12
7 minutes ago, cayars said:

What do you have set for stream copy in the app setup options?
Were you intentionally forcing a transcode above by limiting bitrate?

Could you play back another interlaced channel and upload ONLY the ffmpeg log file it generates?

I am NOT intentionally forcing anything that I am aware of.

I do not know what "stream copy" is

ffmpeg-transcode-ace6338a-784a-4aca-a7ea-c9ff1ca50201_1.txt

Edited by clarkss12

clarkss12

Now I am playing a Basketball game on a 1080i channel.  I CAN pause/play & FF/RW AND show Closed Captions............  The ONLY thing I have done is DISABLE HARDWARE acceleration on the SERVER.

Game IS transcoding, BUT playing perfectly AND NO Buffering.  In the picture below, the game has been paused.....

ffmpeg-directstream-e9cb4cd7-afbb-44ef-bd80-d93dc0e8c96f_1.txt

20210220_141938.thumb.jpg.dd69815dda877b253c7d42e8c23d80a6.jpg481076515_basketballgame.thumb.jpg.16620866fce9b33f435739fd34670158.jpg

Edited by clarkss12

8 minutes ago, clarkss12 said:

Game IS transcoding

It isn't transcoding.  As shown in your image there, it is direct streaming - the video is being passed untouched (shows as direct in the stats).

Hmm. So why did I buy a GPU?

I have selected mpegts to software decode server side but everything else is hardware decoded and encoded.

Suggestions? 

Just now, Sammy said:

Hmm. So why did I buy a GPU?

I have selected mpegts to software decode server side but everything else is hardware decoded and encoded.

Suggestions? 

My suggestion is to just leave it alone until the server is updated in a coming beta.

• Thanks 1

clarkss12
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

It isn't transcoding.  As shown in your image there, it is direct streaming - the video is being passed untouched (shows as direct in the stats).

Strange, I switch to a SD channel, I am guessing it is broadcast in 480i, it transcodes.

480i.jpg

Q-Droid
18 minutes ago, cayars said:

IsInterlaced: false

that is saying ffmpeg say the stream is NOT interlaced.  That's a bit surprising for CBS at 1080 resolution. :(

So based on that it misidentified the stream and plays it correctly. Since there's no such thing as ATSC OTA 1080p it's playing it right by playing it wrong. 

Go figure...

• Like 1

Happy2Play

So you guys are saying this is wrong?

{"Protocol":"Http","Id":"native_eaa5519acc31904b037b20a97fa3f8e8_6296c52a53ac97939de9985d02be4652","Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/c3c3c99930c541b6a9d9e190fb975d37/stream.ts","Type":"Default","Container":"mpegts","IsRemote":false,"ContainerStartTimeTicks":636074242670,"SupportsTranscoding":true,"SupportsDirectStream":true,"SupportsDirectPlay":false,"IsInfiniteStream":true,"RequiresOpening":true,"RequiresClosing":true,"LiveStreamId":"06044cf0e6f93cdae5f285c9ecfaaeb4_01413a525b3a9622ce6fdf19f7dde354_native_eaa5519acc31904b037b20a97fa3f8e8_6296c52a53ac97939de9985d02be4652","RequiresLooping":false,"SupportsProbing":false,"MediaStreams":[{"Codec":"mpeg2video","StreamStartTimeTicks":636081995330,"TimeBase":"1/90000","CodecTimeBase":"1001/30000","VideoRange":"SDR","DisplayTitle":"1080p MPEG2VIDEO","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":20000000,"BitDepth":8,"RefFrames":1,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Height":1080,"Width":1920,"AverageFrameRate":29.97003,"RealFrameRate":59.94006,"Profile":"Main","Type":"Video","AspectRatio":"16:9","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Protocol":"File","PixelFormat":"yuv420p","Level":4,"IsAnamorphic":false},{"Codec":"ac3","CodecTag":"AC-3","StreamStartTimeTicks":636074242670,"TimeBase":"1/90000","CodecTimeBase":"1/48000","DisplayTitle":"AC3 5.1","IsInterlaced":false,"ChannelLayout":"5.1","BitRate":384000,"Channels":6,"SampleRate":48000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false,"Protocol":"File"}],"Formats":[],"Bitrate":20384000,"RequiredHttpHeaders":{},"ReadAtNativeFramerate":false}