wrong audio language emby on FireTV Stick

Okler

Can you play one of these episodes - that you have never played before with this user - from the TV app for just a few seconds.  Do not change the audio track.  Just let it choose the one it wants.  Also be sure you don't change the selection on the detail screen before playing.  Then back out and send a log from the app.

Thanks.

Please also attach the server log and any ffmpeg logs generated from that session.

This was the reason why I thought it is the app.

My Android-user has never played the series before - here I can see very well that changing the default language to English will suggest the series titles in English and changing back to German will suggest them in German again (as I said, I had never pressed play on Android-User before)

1 minute ago, Okler said:

here I can see very well that changing the default language to English will suggest the series titles in English and changing back to German will suggest them in German again

So, isn't that working exactly as it should...?

With Fire-TV user I played all episodes some time before (I just marked them as unseen and thought it resets all). So I have no epidose never played before on FireTV.

So I suggested either to implement a "reset button" to reset everything for the selected entry (either film or episode or complete season or complete series) or to hardly select the prefered language independent from last played language.

Alternatively, it would be nice if you could tell me how I can reset this once for me.

Edited by Okler

2 minutes ago, Okler said:

With Fire-TV user I played all episodes some time before

1 minute ago, Okler said:

FireTV-user have wrongly saved a language preselection - I don't know why

Most likely because the language was chosen on the previous playback.  Resetting the watched status is not going to reset anything else about the video.  Only the watched status.

All you wrote is okay and I can understand your position. But for whatever reason the language was saved wrongly and this is very bad for me.

To solve such things in the future I suggested my opinion (this doesn't have to be right but it is my opinion -> and if emby would do so, I doesn't have this problem)

But to come to an "end" how can you help me to reset the wrongly saved language?

Edited by Okler

19 minutes ago, Okler said:

The shared user is our so called "TV user" -> with this I can stop playing in living room and resume in bedroom. How should I be able to do so when using two different users. These 2 TVs are only controlled by me and my wife and in 99% of the time not simultaneously.

There is no need to use a shared user.  You can setup user accounts for each person in the household.  You can easily login/logout of each app as needed

13 minutes ago, Okler said:

With Fire-TV user I played all episodes some time before (I just marked them as unseen and thought it resets all). So I have no epidose never played before on FireTV.

You reset the watched/played flag, but did reset the media.

12 minutes ago, Okler said:

Yes only for android-user who never played this series. FireTV-user have wrongly saved a language preselection - I don't know why.

Possibly a good thing to do at this point is create users for each person and immediately login on each device and web for that person and set the language and user settings how you want them as defaults.

Emby is doing things correctly but the way you're trying to use it causes you to fight it.

I do not see it that way.
I have one user per person and one shared user for the two FireTV sticks.

The passwords are strong (since they are also accessible from outside) so that it is not possible to log out and login before each use.

How else can I start a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom without using the same user on both devices?

The only problem is that emby has saved the wrong language - for whatever reason. This is not my fault or the fault of the shared user.

Edited by Okler

yes, I could delete my FireTV user and recreate it - but this resets the complete profile with every played state -> I don't want this.

And it can't be the solution for "every" problem to delete the user and start again. If I wanted this, I could delete emby and watch the films/series with a file-based video player.

This is the cause I bought emby premiere -> have a nice frontend and saving played state between devices (but not to remember false states without the possibility to reset this).

Edited by Okler

You can have strong passwords set and only use them outside the network.  You can have a PIN code or NO PASSWORD needed for in LAN use.

7 minutes ago, Okler said:

I do not see it that way.
I have one user per person and one shared user for the two FireTV sticks.

The passwords are strong (since they are also accessible from outside) so that it is not possible to log out and login before each use.

How else can I start a movie in the living room and finish it in the bedroom without using the same user on both devices?

The only problem is that emby has saved the wrong language - for whatever reason. This is not my fault or the fault of the shared user.

It's not only possible but quite easy to do.  Emby allows you to have very strong passwords but also allows you to only use them when remote.  When in LAN you can use a simple PIN on No password at all.  Doesn't get easier then that.  You can also allow local users to show up on login screen ONLY when local for easy switching while all accounts are hidden from remote logins.

image.png.94220d6bf69b4d3c754765d1f84ed78c.png

image.png.0901fcf5ff0d7cafd4dc3cf7d818ac6b.png

11 minutes ago, Okler said:

Emby is NOT saving the wrong language.  It's saving the language you used when you played the media.  Someone played the media back using that language and made the choice to use it either by playing it using the defaults at the time or manually switched it.

Emby is only using the information it was told previously to use.

I don't know if I should still sing it or how to make myself understood.

Neither I nor my wife have never, ever, ever, ever, ever listened to all 279 episodes in English! So the status must be wrong.

The password thing is clear to me, but that does not solve the problem.

I will still have one user for both Fire-TV sticks - anything else is impractical and would not solve the problem. This has nothing to do with the shared user.

How should separate users help me here?  If I would have separate users for this case, I would still have to log User 1 from the living room into the bedroom to continue the movie or series, or User 2 from the bedroom into the living room and vice versa. This would only make it more complicated but would not help. So it's the same whether I log in 2 users alternately or leave it with one.

And if emby can't handle shared users, it's more a design problem - or you would have left out the user management and created it device specific -> I should be pushed to do so.

Edited by Okler

17 minutes ago, Okler said:

How should separate users help me here?  If I would have separate users for this case, I would still have to log User 1 from the living room into the bedroom to continue the movie or series, or User 2 from the bedroom into the living room and vice versa. This would only make it more complicated but would not help. So it's the same whether I log in 2 users alternately or leave it with one.

And if emby can't handle shared users, it's more a design problem - or you would have left out the user management and created it device specific -> I should be pushed to do so.

Yes exactly.  If you switch rooms and want to continue, you simply login as that user which is very quick if not using passwords on local networks or if you have it remember your password.  This is how Emby is designed to function.

As purely a test, create a "test" user.  Go to one of your devices and set things up properly for language wanted.  Now go to other device and set things up using the other language as the default (one each).  Now on 1st box play back an episode of any show.  Do the same on the second box for a different show.

Now you've used two devices each with different defaults.

Now view both in web and they will play back using the language that YOU SET and choose during playback previously.  This is how it's supposed to work.

Yes, but this doesn't solve this problem.

And normally it is like you supposed - we watch a film at TV1, exit emby, turn off TV, walk to bedroom, turn on TV, after FireTV-stick has booted, we start emby, after that, we resume playing.

I can't find an essential difference instead of logout on TV1 before and login with the same user (I have to use the same to resume on TV2) on TV2 again.

But to repeat - this doesn't solve my problem.

And to repeat again - nobody watched ever all 279 episodes with in englisch so I don't know why emby thinks so.

And just to say -> emby on TV1 and emby on TV2 isn't used simultaneously (and even when it should work nevertheless)

2 minutes ago, Okler said:

nobody watched ever all 279 episodes with in englisch so I don't know why emby thinks so.

How are you determining that all 279 episodes default to English audio if they haven't been watched?

• Like 1

After I read the answer twice, all recommendations unfortunately miss the topic.

Yes,
- emby seems to work as programmed
- 2 separate users do NOT change anything about this error
- the problem is the WRONG status in one of my users

And again - nobody has ever heard all the episodes in English, so there must have been a mistake. The only solution would be
a) delete user -> worst solution
b) to reset the status of this series
c) To use the standard language in general, which in my opinion is the same. If I set German as default in my BlueRay player and watched a movie in Swahili sometime, I still get German again when I put the movie back in sometime. This is the purpose of the default language.

How are you determining that all 279 episodes default to English audio if they haven't been watched?

I just click on any episode and see englisch in the dropdown instead of german. I don't try every episode but every episode I clicked (across all seasons for test) are shown in englisch.

I did not find a single episode that was suggested to me by default in German. And I clicked 2-3 episodes per season for test.

Edited by Okler

3 minutes ago, Okler said:

I just click on any episode and see englisch in the dropdown instead of german. I don't try every episode but every episode I clicked (across all seasons for test) are shown in englisch.

I did not find a single episode that was suggested to me by default in German. And I clicked 2-3 episodes per season for test.

What language is set as default on that device?

What is the default AUDIO track in the media?

What language is set as default on that device?

What is the default AUDIO track in the media?

Please look at post #17 -> German as default language.

Names of the audio tracks "English AAC stereo (Default)" and "German AAC stereo (Default)"

We have already worked out together that a wrong playback status is the course for the wrong language. I don't know where it comes from, but it seems to be there.

5 minutes ago, Okler said:

Names of the audio tracks "English AAC stereo (Default)" and "German AAC stereo (Default)"

Part of the issue could be that you have TWO default tracks (which doesn't make any sense).  But, I actually doubt it.

6 minutes ago, Okler said:

We have already worked out together that a wrong playback status is the course for the wrong language

I don't think we've worked that out.  I do understand you think the selection is "wrong" and that it is not what you desire but I have not seen any evidence that something has actually gone wrong here.  From what we know, the only possibilities I think are:

1) The user in question has the option to always select the default audio language turned on
2) The language tags in the audio tracks are not actually correct
3) The item has been played before at some point and this track was selected at that time
4) Outside possibility that the fact that BOTH audio tracks are marked as default is somehow confusing the logic.  You can test this by fixing one of the episodes with an mkv editor and removing the default flag from the English track.