wrong audio language emby on FireTV Stick

Okler

Dear Luke,

I have a problem with various series and films. When there is dual audio available (english and german), sometimes it starts with english instead of german although it is set as favourite language in settings.

When trying the same with emby on android, it starts the german language.

Could you have a look, why emby on FireTV doesn't. It is reproduceable.

Edited by Okler

Attached you will find the logfile.

I switched to debug log, started playing the episode and turned off debug log again.

IP of FireTV is x.x.80.180

Shortly in German if I badly expressed myself.

Ich habe letztens festgestellt, dass bei einigen Serien auf unseren FireTV-Sticks standardmäßig die englische Tonspur ausgewählt wird. Dies ist nur bei ein paar Serien/Filmen der Fall, meistens wird korrekt die deutsche Tonspur als Standard ausgewählt.

In den Einstellungen wurde deutsch als Standard hinterlegt - eine Veränderung an dieser Stelle macht aber auch keinen Unterschied.

Das Problem ist reproduzierbar, d.h. wenn ich eine Serie habe, die englisch startet, dann tut sie es immer wieder, wenn ich sie als ungesehen markiere und damit quasi den Playback-Status zurücksetze.

Bei meiner Android-App wird die selbe Serie komischerweise gleich auf deutsch gestartet.

Die Tonspuren heißen:

"English AAC stereo (Default)" und "German AAC stereo (Default)"

Vielen Dank

embyserver.txt

Edited by Okler

Hi.  Can you please explain exactly what you did in the app?  Did you select an audio track before starting playback?  Had  you played this item before?  If you switch audio tracks during playback, does it work?

Also, if you turn this option back on, does it make a difference?

User policy for FireTV. EnablePlaybackRemuxing: False

... no, unfortunately no two of these in one day 😉...

Hello,
I had only deactivated the last option (allow video playback that requires conversion without re-encoding). Now all options are activated, but unfortunately it makes no difference.

It wouldn't make sense for me why a transcoding option makes a difference here, since I can select the German language without any problems - I just have to change it by hand for each episode, which is very annoying.

Short to reproduce:
Mark complete series as seen
Mark complete series as unseen (resets everything)
Start any episode -> English is selected by default

German is selected by default in both the web client and the Android app, except in the FireTV app.

Hallo,
ich hatte lediglich die letzte Option deaktiviert. Nun sind alle Optionen aktiviert, es macht aber leider keinen Unterschied.

Es würde sich für mich auch nicht erschließen, warum eine Transkodierungsoption hier einen Unterschied macht, da ich die deutsche Sprache ja problemlos auswählen kann - ich muss es nur bei jeder Folge per Hand umstellen, was sehr lästig ist.

Kurz zum reproduzieren:
Komplette Serie als gesehen markieren
Komplette Serie als ungesehen markieren (setzt alles zurück)
Beliebige Episode starten -> Englisch ist standardmäßig ausgewählt

Sowohl im Webclient als auch in der Android-App ist deutsch standardmäßig ausgewählt, nur nicht in der FireTV App.

Edited by Okler

Hi, if you had previously played any of these videos with options turned off you have already saved the default audio to use with those files on that client for the next time it plays.  If you then correct it back to German, exit and then play again does it now play as German?

I notice on one of your titles German was marked with default. These defaults will over-ride your language. The default is assumed as correct until you change it to anything else and Emby will remember. You can also set your user inside the Emby dashboard to disregard any default audio and always stick to your language (if it is available). It sounds like Emby is doing the right thing and there is a misunderstanding how choosing a language and defaults work together.

Edited by speechles

Dear all,

I have some news:

1) I always try with a new episode - and it starts with english

2) When I play a episode some seconds, switch to german and stop playing, it remebers german (only for this episode). When I come back it starts again with german (only this episode).

3) I disabled the option to always use default language instead of prefered language (in emby dashboard)

4) I tried the FireTV user in my Firefox Webplayer - there it also starts with englisch instead of german. All other users of emby starts with the language I setup in the dashboard.

4a) All other users: When I switch to prefered language "german" it starts my episodes in german, When I switch to englisch it starts with englisch.

4b) When I try the same with my FireTV user, it ignores this setting.

--> So it seems, the App is not guilty instead something in the user profile is the problem. How can I reset all "old states and settings" for one particular series (all episodes and all seasons)

Thanks a lot

• Like 1

Keep in mind that track selections are remembered after the first time, so you can only test each video once in this regard. When you go back and test the same file again, it is remembering your audio selection. Try testing on a brand new file.

Hello,
it is now also clear to me that emby remembers the status/language. However, I have NEVER watched all episodes in english, so there is some kind of mistake.
How can i reset this?

But how can I solve this misconduct for myself? In this way I can almost not watch the series if I have to take the remote control in my hand again to change the language every time I change.
By the way - this works very well as a "fall asleep program", but when changing the episode after 15-20 minutes and changing the language you are immediately awake again instead of falling asleep.

Isn't there some possibility for me? It really seems to be a mistake in emby, since I NEVER watched all episodes in English. The episodes are never set to "continue at:" but "play".

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

3 hours ago, Okler said:

3) I disabled the option to always use default language instead of prefered language (in emby dashboard)

4) I tried the FireTV user in my Firefox Webplayer

You are using different users in the different apps to compare?  The language defaults are per user...  Are you sure you've set them how you think you have for all users in question?

... of course ...

I have users for me and my wife (using with the android apps) as well as a universal user for both FireTV sticks. I noticed, that our users doesn't have a problem with language selection and only on FireTV it doesn't work.

It turned out, however, that it is not the different apps but the user.

Now I'm looking for a solution to reset this.

In my opinion, the set default language should generally be used (and not the last selected language). That's why I set the default value. For 99% of the users it will probably be their native language and for selected titles I will switch to a foreign language once.
If the player starts in the native language on a later replay it is surely less annoying than a permanent start in the foreign language, even though the native language is selected as default.

But this has nothing to do with my problem, because I never watched all episodes in English, but emby assumes that somehow (in this series). But if the above behavior would be implemented, it would solve this problem by itself.

Unbenannt.PNG

Hi, The default language is the default that gets used per user unless they have previously played the media using a different language.  In that case Emby will remember the language choosen.

How does that not make sense?

I can only speak for myself, but usually I hear everything in my mother tongue.
When I feel like it, I switch rarely times to a foreign language, usually English. It's more important to me that Emby selects my native language by default, instead of the last language I heard.
(If I decide at some point to listen to English by default, I can set it to default in the menu.)
Personally, I don't really care about the last language I listened to - it's just a hindrance if it can't be reset.

Now back to my case: For whatever reason emby has saved the wrong language and I would like to reset it.

If a user deliberately changes an audio or subtitle track then we have to assume that is what that user wants.  The reason you are running into problems with this is because you are using a single Emby user for multiple actual users (shared user).

Just now, Okler said:

For whatever reason emby has saved the wrong language and I would like to reset it.

Play the item and select the language you want.

In my case it is Big Bang Theory what means I have to switch 279x the right language! That's annoying

One user for 2 devices is not the problem - I and my wife live together and none of us (!) has set the language for all episodes to a foreign language. With 279 episodes, it's very difficult to do that. For whatever reason emby changed this, not us!

The shared user is our so called "TV user" -> with this I can stop playing in living room and resume in bedroom. How should I be able to do so when using two different users. These 2 TVs are only controlled by me and my wife and in 99% of the time not simultaneously.