Picture Quality....no complaints, just some questions

Ronstang

pwhodges
1 hour ago, Ronstang said:

So you're telling me there is no way to make Emby use the browser I choose?

If you run Emby from the browser, you've already made the choice.  Note also the corollary of people telling you that Edge (Chromium) can support h.265 once the option is installed is that virtually none of the other browsers can.  This may seem surprising, but there it is...  I believe that Safari on Mac and iOS can, though.

Paul

2 hours ago, Ronstang said:

So you're telling me there is no way to make Emby use the browser I choose?

Hi, sure there is. Just open the browser of your choice and put the url to your server in the browser address bar.

Ronstang
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, sure there is. Just open the browser of your choice and put the url to your server in the browser address bar.

I'm talking about upon startup.....I don't like Microsoft and I don't like their browsers so I don't mind running Emby in it for now but I don't want it being my default browser.

5 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I'm talking about upon startup.....I don't like Microsoft and I don't like their browsers so I don't mind running Emby in it for now but I don't want it being my default browser.

Ok that will run the system's default browser, so you'll need to change that in windows.

Ronstang
23 minutes ago, Luke said:

Ok that will run the system's default browser, so you'll need to change that in windows.

Which is exactly what I DON'T want to do....I don't want a Microsoft browser of any flavor as my default.  I like Chrome, I used to like Firefox but Chrome is better than them all now, except it won't play my files obviously.

Just now, Ronstang said:

Which is exactly what I DON'T want to do....I don't want a Microsoft browser of any flavor as my default.  I like Chrome, I used to like Firefox but Chrome is better than them all now, except it won't play my files obviously.

Ok sorry then I would just turn off the option in Emby to auto-launch the browser. Then from there you can just open it manually in the browser of your choice.

Ronstang
27 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Are you just wanting to test your media after you've transcoded it, by double clicking on the file and have it play?

Yes, I'm still testing and playing with settings so I need to see how my files play and look.  I don't want to get up and go into another room and turn on my tv and load emby on the Firestick 10 times an hour.

Ronstang
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Ok sorry then I would just turn off the option in Emby to auto-launch the browser. Then from there you can just open it manually in the browser of your choice.

Doesn't matter, I can't seem to get HEVC even in Edge on Windows 8.1......as usual Microsoft is like the government.....they screw up everything they touch

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Make Chrome your default browser in Windows and Emby will launch Chrome.  This is in the OS Default apps, at least it is on Window 10.

sooty234
1 minute ago, Ronstang said:

Yes, I'm still testing and playing with settings so I need to see how my files play and look.  I don't want to get up and go into another room and turn on my tv and load emby on the Firestick 10 times an hour.

The easiest way to do that (as you're doing this on a PC) is to use a standalone video player. If you want, I can give you the player that Theater uses, as a standalone. You run the installer to associate the video to the player, and then double click the video file and it will play. Interested?

3 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Doesn't matter, I can't seem to get HEVC even in Edge on Windows 8.1......as usual Microsoft is like the government.....they screw up everything they touch

Ok you're on Windows 8.1. It's possible they haven't added this to Edge on Windows 8.1. I'm not really sure about that, sorry.

Just now, sooty234 said:

The easiest way to do that (as you're doing this on a PC) is to use a standalone video player. If you want, I can give you the player that Theater uses, as a standalone. You run the installer to associate the video to the player, and then double click the video file and it will play. Interested?

He could also just use the Emby Theater app.

Ronstang
4 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

Is that the exo player I keep seeing on my firestick? I have several standalone players that play the files fine....they just don't work over a remote desktop connection well, they lock up most of the time, while the web app plays H.264 fine over RDP the H.265 maxes out the CPU so it won't play properly either.

I will try your suggestion and see how it works.  If it's the player that Emby uses I suppose if subs play in it they will play in Emby web app and all apps?

Ronstang
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

I don't want the desktop app, I don't need it.  I only play my content on Firestick 4Ks.....I use the web app to manage my content and that is where I want to be able to simply click on a file to check playback, quality, and see if the subs work as I'm having a terrible time with subs.  I do everything in my web browser, check for images, episodes etc so I just want to change tabs....not apps

Edited by Ronstang

sooty234
1 minute ago, Ronstang said:

Is that the exo player I keep seeing on my firestick? I have several standalone players that play the files fine....they just don't work over a remote desktop connection well, they lock up most of the time, while the web app plays H.264 fine over RDP the H.265 maxes out the CPU so it won't play properly either.

I will try your suggestion and see how it works.  If it's the player that Emby uses I suppose if subs play in it they will play in Emby web app and all apps?

No, it's not Exo, it's mpv. It's much better. I'll attach it and you can try it. Just unzip the folder anywhere you want. In that folder, you'll see the Installer folder. Open that and run the mpv-install.bat. And then just double click on one of your videos and it should simply play.

mpv.zip

• Like 1

sooty234
20 minutes ago, Luke said:

Carlo already suggest that. He just wants something quick and easy to test with. mpv has no UI and is something used Emby, so it should provide what he's wanting.

Ronstang
8 minutes ago, sooty234 said:

No, it's not Exo, it's mpv. It's much better. I'll attach it and you can try it. Just unzip the folder anywhere you want. In that folder, you'll see the Installer folder. Open that and run the mpv-install.bat. And then just double click on one of your videos and it should simply play.

mpv.zip 25.72 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you, it works quick and easy.  Is there any way to turn subs on/off and select sub and audio streams in MPV?

sooty234
Just now, Ronstang said:

Thank you, it works quick and easy.  Is there any way to turn subs on/off and select sub and audio streams in MPV?

Yes. There are keyboard shortcuts, but if you hover the mouse over the player while playing, the control bar will pop up. On the right you will see the audio and subs icons. You can right and left click on them to cycle through the audio tracks and subs.

pwhodges
3 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

Is there any way to turn subs on/off and select sub and audio streams in MPV?

When you hover over the bottom of the image, on the right you will see counts of the audio and subtitle streams, and you just click them to cycle through.  I haven't bothered to find if there is a way of selecting directly from a list, as the clicking method works fine for me.

hover.jpg.4ccebe21f5599d31e4cd03348ce55772.jpg

Paul

Ronstang

Thanks guys, MPV works great over RDP so that is a huge plus.  Am I to assume if the audio and sub tracks play properly in MPV they will in all Emby apps?

No, you can't make that assumption.  MPV is using the FILE ITSELF to play.  All that tells you is the quality of your conversions but not compatibility of the files you create.

But if you convert all files the same way then all you need to do is a few tests on different apps and you'll know if your "method of conversion" is proven or has an issue causing transcoding on certain platforms.

Perfect example is firefox or chrome playing back an MKV file with HEVC which won't work and will require transcoding.

Happy2Play
9 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

they will in all Emby apps

That is a loaded question as not every app is capable of the exact same formats.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 2